Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle General Discussion

Old 08-29-2007, 11:58 AM   #11
acecycleins
Founding Member

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneth_Moore View Post
Who's the Buell expert out there? There was a reference: "instead of the other Buells’ Italian Verlicchi chassis" that surprised me. I certainly don't know Buells as well as HDs, but I had no idea they sourced a frame! I always thought their innovative frames was their forte. I guess you learn something new every day, if you stay relatively sober. Details? Anyone? Anyone? Bueller? Bueller??
Hey Ken, It was outsourced. It was designed by Buell but made by the Italians. Economics, I guess. Anyway, it's all been moved in house now. Guess the design has paid for itself and it can be made here for the same money they spent for the Italian's work.

Everyone that has giving Buell crap for the "tractor" motor can now gleefully run down and buy a "proper" American Sportbike. Time to step up to the plate and buy American.

Wait for the Sporty XR version coming to a showroom near you. Figure a re-tuned version for 110-115 hp w/ 90ft lbs torque. Showa Inverted with Buell brakes- Daaaaamn, that'd be trick. YOU GUYS AT HD LISTENING!!!!!

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 08-29-2007, 12:01 PM   #12
Pete_Brissette
My member is not Junior!

Default I'm no engineer, but...

Quote:
Originally Posted by nweaver View Post
"Subsequently, a lighter wheel can be used, with lighter steering as the benefit. I can only hope other makes will grasp this concept, soon."

Not quite. The ZTL system makes for HEAVIER steering...

It reduces the unsprung weight of the wheel (lighter spokes, which makes the suspension happier), but it increases the rotational inertia (larger diameter brake disk). Thus at higher speeds, the wheel resists changing direction more, effectively acting as a speed sensitive damper.

Until Honda came out with the electronic damper, it was the best solution for speed-sensitive damping (the electronic damper allows a non-linear rate, unlike the ZTL which is a linear-rate speed-sensitive damper)

Its why the previous buells were able to get away with such little rake without a damper: the wheel is a damper with its greater rotational inertia.
You might want to take that argument up with Buell, an engineer/designer, himself.

A quote from Buell materials in re ZTL brakes (perimeter mounted):

"This allows for the design of an extremely light wheel, reducing steering inertia and unsprung weight for exceptional feel and agility."

And yes, I realize such "materials" often say what sellers of product want them to say. But I'm certain Erik Buell would agree with the copy... the brake is his idea.
Old 08-29-2007, 12:47 PM   #13
Kenneth_Moore
Registered Member

Another HD Italian connection...reminds me of Aermacchi. This power plant and it's technologic innovations really do open a lot of great opportunities for HD, IF they choose to take them. There were a lot of people expecting, even clamoring for, the Revolution engine to be put into more platforms, but that never happened. I think a lot of HD execs break into a cold sweat when they consider straying too far from the tried and true pushrod, aircooled, V-Twin paradigm.
Old 08-29-2007, 01:06 PM   #14
seruzawa
The Toad

Shows you what one guy can do with a dream and some ideas as long as he's not encumbered by nosy bean counters, Boards of Directors and marketing "experts". Some other companies I could name could revitalize their moribund model lines this way.
Old 08-29-2007, 01:08 PM   #15
tripleripple
Founding Member

Location: Lightly Fortified Compound (apartment): Chicago, IL

Agreed. Little concerned how it's gonna look with twin side-mount radiators...not very nekkid.

Oh, and I hope there will be a mod to mimic the sound of the FAN!
tripleripple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 01:22 PM   #16
gbrummett
Founding Member

The big fuel in the frames frames have always been made in Italy. They were designed here. Harley and Buell source a lot of stuff overseas.
gbrummett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 01:34 PM   #17
Buzglyd
Founding Member

Default Oh, Pete?

The largest forks you have ever ridden were on the Brutale! 54mm Marzocchis I believe.
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 01:51 PM   #18
Kenneth_Moore
Registered Member

Pete, did they give you any idea why the engine is called "Helicon?" Is it just marketing or is there something behind it?

From Wikipedia:
Helicon (crater), a lunar impact crater
Helicon (physics), low frequency electromagnetic waves
Helicon (planet), a fictional planet in Isaac Asimov's Foundation Series
Helicon Filter, a raster graphics editor
Helicon Records, an Israeli music label
Hélicon, a brass musical instrument
Mount Helicon, a mountain in Boeotia, Greece
"Helicon 1" and "Helicon 2", songs by Scottish post-rock band Mogwai
Old 08-29-2007, 02:00 PM   #19
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

The Wrecking Crew here doesn't sound too convinced that this new Buell is the shyt. That is bad news, because he is marketing this bike directly at most of the guys here. It looks nice enough, but I still don't think this will sell any better than the old one. I think the Euros might go for this one in a big way.
Old 08-29-2007, 02:40 PM   #20
seruzawa
The Toad

Default Oh c'mon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by longride View Post
The Wrecking Crew here doesn't sound too convinced that this new Buell is the shyt. That is bad news, because he is marketing this bike directly at most of the guys here. It looks nice enough, but I still don't think this will sell any better than the old one. I think the Euros might go for this one in a big way.
All those guys said they wanted a liquid cooled Buell really bad! You don't think they are going to run out and buy them? You mean I was right when I predicted (heh heh) that when Eric did put out a sportbike with a "proper" engine the same guys would just think of other excuses not to get one?