Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle General Discussion

Old 08-23-2007, 07:28 AM   #11
Kenneth_Moore
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by longride View Post
I doubt the people who are buying this bike base their purchase on its good looks. It looks like a nice bike functionally, but it won't win any beauty contests with or without bags.
True enough. I've always thought the best looking machines were the ones that put function over form. But, I'd still like to see an accessorized bike on the website, or least the accessories themselves. I wonder why the other manufacturers don't put the same energy and effort into accessories that HD does? It sure makes them a LOT of money!

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 08-23-2007, 07:37 AM   #12
mscuddy
MODERATOR X

Default Why does it scream...

...Buell to me? Just like every auto manufacturer is copying the looks of the ground breaking, weird, funky Honda Element, for their small SUV's, will the big three from Japan (four?) start aping the looks of the Buell City X for the new class of standard bikes?

Seems to be a formula that will work, maybe...if you like weird & funky.
Old 08-23-2007, 07:55 AM   #13
Kenneth_Moore
Registered Member

Default Buell$hit

Quote:
Originally Posted by mscuddy View Post
...Buell to me? Just like every auto manufacturer is copying the looks of the ground breaking, weird, funky Honda Element, for their small SUV's, will the big three from Japan (four?) start aping the looks of the Buell City X for the new class of standard bikes?

Seems to be a formula that will work, maybe...if you like weird & funky.
I read an article somewhere where Eric Buell was talking about how pleased he was that his designs were being followed by other mfgs. I noticed the exhaust was very "Buellish," in addition to the styling.
Old 08-23-2007, 07:56 AM   #14
ejis
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneth_Moore View Post
True enough. I've always thought the best looking machines were the ones that put function over form. But, I'd still like to see an accessorized bike on the website, or least the accessories themselves. I wonder why the other manufacturers don't put the same energy and effort into accessories that HD does? It sure makes them a LOT of money!
I don't know - maybe genuine "Piano Company" or "Generator Company" merch just wouldn't sell as well...

On topic - I really like the Versys. Even better if the ABS version were made available. Finally a company decided a "small" bike was worthy of good suspension and other components rather than the price point pieces that are typically used. If I was going to buy a new bike, this would top the list - I hope people do buy them so other manufacturers are encouraged to bring these kind of bikes here. I'd love to see a 675 based mini-Tiger.
ejis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 08:09 AM   #15
Kenneth_Moore
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejis View Post
I don't know - maybe genuine "Piano Company" or "Generator Company" merch just wouldn't sell as well...
I guess seeing a "Tuning Fork" tattoo at Bike Week just ain't gonna happen, is it?
Old 08-23-2007, 08:19 AM   #16
Gritboy
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by acecycleins View Post
Seems we have a new player in the Adventure market.
Except it's not an adventure-sport bike, but a street bike entirely. The tire specks alone dictate that. Of course I do expect to see some innovative dual-sport mods done by owners, so that should be interesting.
Gritboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 09:09 AM   #17
seruzawa
The Toad

Default Perhaps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gritboy View Post
Except it's not an adventure-sport bike, but a street bike entirely. The tire specks alone dictate that. Of course I do expect to see some innovative dual-sport mods done by owners, so that should be interesting.
But a bike's functionality is not determined by ad copy. The Versys could be an excellent adventure bike as is, with proper tires, simply because of its comparatively light weight. GSes, Tigers and DL1000s are simply too heavy IMHO. The lighter bike innately has more potential for exploring those out of the way places. At the price I could buy one for me and another for my wife instead of a GS and still have money left over.
Old 08-23-2007, 10:14 AM   #18
The_AirHawk
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneth_Moore View Post
I read an article somewhere where Eric Buell was talking about how pleased he was that his designs were being followed by other mfgs. I noticed the exhaust was very "Buellish," in addition to the styling.

Funny, I've always suspected that Buell got his idea for the underslung, stubby exhaust from the '88 Honda Hawk..........

What's OLD is NEW Again!
Let them hate so long as they fear
политики предпочитают безоружных крестьян
Politicians Prefer Unarmed Peasants
Nothing to see here, Citizen. Move along now...
The_AirHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 10:18 AM   #19
12er
Founding Member

49 states? Damn... Drop that plant into a KLR please and sell it here in CA.
12er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 02:59 PM   #20
bbtowns
Founding Member

If they would make it an actual adventure tourer I'd probably give it a shot. Another inch of suspension travel (at least) and a 19" front wheel and it would probably suit the bill. For year people have been saying manufacturer's need to make more smaller displacement, light, fun to ride bikes. Here you go. Me, I think I'd take a Wee Strom (and sell my V-Strom he says with tears running down his cheeks).
bbtowns is offline   Reply With Quote