Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle General Discussion

Old 08-12-2007, 06:41 PM   #1
whonuu
Registered Member

Default Harley - cleaning and storage

Father-inlaw just bought an '05 Road King. He lives on a gravel road so the bike is always covered in dust. Is there a specific product anyone here would recommend to take the dust off? I want to buy him something so he can dust it off once he hits the pavement or decides to cruise around town. I was thinking maybe some sort of feather duster or soft rag.

He lives in the Midwest so the winter will be hard and cold. I don't know what his specific plans are for winter storage other a barn with a dirt floor. Anyone here have any specific storage instructions? I was thinking to put the tires up on planks of wood and buy a cover to fit at the very least.

Thanks in advance for any info or advice.
whonuu is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 08-12-2007, 06:50 PM   #2
mugwump58
Registered Member

Default Whonuu?

Thread highjack. Whonuu holds a special meaning to some people. You didn't happen to be at Camp Darby, near Pisa say in 92 between the Desert Storm thing and the Bosnia thing were you?

Please resume the thread.
I usually am disassembling my bike in the winter but, and this may not work with a Harley:
Put up on stands
Change oil
Put Stabil in FULL fuel tank and run to get thru system
Pull battery and put on tender
Since it's in a barn put aluminum foil over exhaust
Consider bringing in the seats, could become mouse food/apartment.
Some people fog the cylinders
Old 08-12-2007, 06:54 PM   #3
sachiwilson
Women Riders Moderator

Hmm, I'll leave the cleaning ideas to others, but I'd just point out that you want to be sure to find something that doesn't grind the dust into the paint and chrome. A feather duster or the like might be good, but I really don't have a lot of experience. (I lived in Seattle and my problem was more water spots than dust!)

As for the storage, by ALL MEANS try to find a better surface than a dirt floor! Even if it's freezing the floor will be damp and will encourage rust. Putting a tarp or plywood down will NOT be sufficient, because the rest of the barn will still be damp. Your Pa-in-law will be best off getting a well-made storage shed for the bike, if he doesn't want to refloor the barn or store the bike in a proper garage.

Sarnali: "what could be more useless than arguing with a deaf female lawyer????"
sachiwilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2007, 07:19 PM   #4
seruzawa
The Toad

Water works pretty well. Just hose it off.
Old 08-13-2007, 07:17 AM   #5
sarnali2
Aging Cafe` Racer

I have to agree, other than washing the bike every once in awhile I don't see what you could do about coating of dust. Any loose dust will blow off once you get up to highway speeds and soap and water should take care of the rest. As Sister Sachi said up here it's usually road spray and water we worry about keeping out, not dust. I rarely even wash my bikes in the summer.

I'd be more concerned with making sure the intake system was tight like putting a little sealer around the two rubber breather tubes that go into the back of the airfilter element and regular cleaning or replacment of the a/f. and making sure the wheel bearings don't get to caked with crud.

As far as barn storage, the tin foil over the pipes and intake is a good idea, stabil in the gas tank and a battery tender and a thick coat of wax ought to take care of the rest. Probably surround it with a few dozen mouse traps too just in case.

"He said he's farting because of his medication"...

Last edited by sarnali2 : 08-13-2007 at 07:25 AM.
sarnali2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 09:00 AM   #6
The_AirHawk
Founding Member

One of those "California Duster" thingies (tech. term) works pretty-good on light dust. They make 'em in a relatively small size. One of the guys I work with has one, he uses it constantly on his cruiser. Fits nicely in a saddlebag, not stupid-expensive. I think he got it at Mal~Wart..........
Let them hate so long as they fear
политики предпочитают безоружных крестьян
Politicians Prefer Unarmed Peasants
Nothing to see here, Citizen. Move along now...
The_AirHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 09:15 AM   #7
seruzawa
The Toad

Default Actually....

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarnali2 View Post
I have to agree, other than washing the bike every once in awhile I don't see what you could do about coating of dust. Any loose dust will blow off once you get up to highway speeds and soap and water should take care of the rest. As Sister Sachi said up here it's usually road spray and water we worry about keeping out, not dust. I rarely even wash my bikes in the summer.

I'd be more concerned with making sure the intake system was tight like putting a little sealer around the two rubber breather tubes that go into the back of the airfilter element and regular cleaning or replacment of the a/f. and making sure the wheel bearings don't get to caked with crud.

As far as barn storage, the tin foil over the pipes and intake is a good idea, stabil in the gas tank and a battery tender and a thick coat of wax ought to take care of the rest. Probably surround it with a few dozen mouse traps too just in case.
... who cares? When I buy a bike I intend to ride the pi$$ out of it and while I don't seek to hurt the finish I know that in a year or so there's going to be so many chips and dings that a few scratches aren't even on the radar.
Old 08-13-2007, 09:30 AM   #8
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by seruzawa View Post
... who cares? When I buy a bike I intend to ride the pi$$ out of it and while I don't seek to hurt the finish I know that in a year or so there's going to be so many chips and dings that a few scratches aren't even on the radar.
I agree. If there is dust on it, go for a ride that is fast enough and long enough to blow the dust off it. Takes some of the cobwebs out of the brain too. I just ride mine alot and clean them sparingly.
Old 08-13-2007, 10:20 AM   #9
SmokeU
Registered Member

Yup, my Concours is no spring chicken anymore so I only clean it when it gets bad after a couple of storms.

That and it is a Concours afterall, does cleaning it make it look any better?
SmokeU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 10:59 AM   #10
Buzglyd
Founding Member

Asphalt?
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote