Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle General Discussion

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 03-19-2009, 11:31 AM   #21
mscuddy
MODERATOR X

 
mscuddy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Next to my still checkin the temp.
Posts: 5,448
Default

A Sporty is a great first bike, but might I suggest buying a gross dozen of clutch/front brake levers, and turn signals. Also footpegs.

Too bad they put a return spring on the throttle (unlike the early ones). Made for some great action, like blasting through intersections with feet draging...and turning snow fences into splinters.
__________________
A gun is a tool, Marian; no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that.
mscuddy is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 03-19-2009, 11:39 AM   #22
acecycleins
Founding Member
 
acecycleins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: North Georgia
Posts: 4,129
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeU View Post
I'd have to say the Sporty is less costly to maintain. Belt drive, hydro valves etc.
No- I'm taking book labor hours. Almost everything Triumph sells in parts are comparible to HD parts, but the "hours" are substantially different. When I had my 99 XL vs my 2003 Bonni (which was a used company bike I adopted while I was doing a stint as an F&I mgr at ATD) I spent less money on major services vs the XL. It wasn't the company discount that made it lower. The shop booked labor hours the same regardless of ownership. Two or three hrs at $90 per adds up. There's you chain. There's your shims.
I'm not saying it's a bad deal to own the Sporty. But depending on use (I use a lot) the Triumph cost me less in gas, insurance and labor hrs when compared to the Sporty- but that's just me I guess.
__________________
"Slack" - a state of being in which everything flows smoothly.....a frame of mind so at ease that the universe naturally cooperates.
acecycleins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 11:52 AM   #23
SmokeU
Registered Member
 
SmokeU's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: pet****...pet****...pet****
Posts: 1,864
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by acecycleins View Post
No- I'm taking book labor hours. Almost everything Triumph sells in parts are comparible to HD parts, but the "hours" are substantially different. When I had my 99 XL vs my 2003 Bonni (which was a used company bike I adopted while I was doing a stint as an F&I mgr at ATD) I spent less money on major services vs the XL. It wasn't the company discount that made it lower. The shop booked labor hours the same regardless of ownership. Two or three hrs at $90 per adds up. There's you chain. There's your shims.
I'm not saying it's a bad deal to own the Sporty. But depending on use (I use a lot) the Triumph cost me less in gas, insurance and labor hrs when compared to the Sporty- but that's just me I guess.

What did you need done to the Sporty besides tires?
SmokeU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 01:01 PM   #24
acecycleins
Founding Member
 
acecycleins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: North Georgia
Posts: 4,129
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeU View Post
What did you need done to the Sporty besides tires?
Just major services. That's what I am referring to. I clock between 15-20k annually. It's a lot when compared to your average joe. But the money still adds up.
Also, outside of oil changes- I rarely have time to wrench myself.
__________________
"Slack" - a state of being in which everything flows smoothly.....a frame of mind so at ease that the universe naturally cooperates.
acecycleins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 06:32 AM   #25
SmokeU
Registered Member
 
SmokeU's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: pet****...pet****...pet****
Posts: 1,864
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by acecycleins View Post
Just major services. That's what I am referring to. I clock between 15-20k annually. It's a lot when compared to your average joe. But the money still adds up.
Also, outside of oil changes- I rarely have time to wrench myself.

Major services? Like what's a major service on something that doesn't really break? Aside from tires and oil changes what did you need fixed on the Sporty? I'm just curious.
SmokeU is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off