Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle General Discussion

Old 08-08-2007, 07:17 AM   #41
sachiwilson
Women Riders Moderator

The lowest I've ridden in is only 26, but I'm at a disadvantage having lived on the left coast all my (riding) life. On the other hand I've maxed out at 115 . . .

Sarnali: "what could be more useless than arguing with a deaf female lawyer????"
sachiwilson is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 08-08-2007, 07:43 AM   #42
The_AirHawk
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachiwilson View Post
The lowest I've ridden in is only 26, but I'm at a disadvantage having lived on the left coast all my (riding) life. On the other hand I've maxed out at 115 . . .
Dayam! I rode in 8deg F this last Winter (with 'Lectrics), but I tend to draw the Line when it gets up in the mid-hundred-oh-somethings.

115? Isn't that a bit like riding through your own Cremation?
Let them hate so long as they fear
политики предпочитают безоружных крестьян
Politicians Prefer Unarmed Peasants
Nothing to see here, Citizen. Move along now...
The_AirHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 07:51 AM   #43
sachiwilson
Women Riders Moderator

It was pretty hot, all right. But it was bearable with a ton of water. We stopped every hundred miles (our total ride was about 510 miles) and downed a quart or so of very cold water. Dumped some on our shirts too. If you have enough water (and gatorade -- I should have drunk some gatorade or similar on that ride too, that was an omission) you can do pretty well.

Sarnali: "what could be more useless than arguing with a deaf female lawyer????"
sachiwilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 09:02 AM   #44
Gritboy
Founding Member

I'm damned excited to see the new 1125R and if it can start a real American sportbike builder craze. It's pricey, but on par with the other v-twin sportbikes from Europe, so assuming it lives up to performance claims and is reliable, I predict a winner. Mind you I think the need to add some other paint options to help it look less funky (wind tunnels doth not make a visually appealing moto), and because the black/grey model looks more street-fighter than track-racer.
Gritboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 09:18 AM   #45
dmc42421
Registered Member

Default About time

Every few weeks, I look at the Honda site to see if the RC51 is indeed at the end of the line and will rest with the Superhawk. Having been contemplating a younger, kickass two cylinder stablemate for my 1150RT, I had hoped to find a brand that didn't require major trip planning to get to a dealer. The Buell not only fills that need, but 375lbs!??? That's downright un-Wisconsin. Beer, brats and Buell. What a great state.
Old 08-08-2007, 10:06 AM   #46
tripleripple
Founding Member

Location: Lightly Fortified Compound (apartment): Chicago, IL

Well, you are stuck with the Brewers.
tripleripple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 11:59 AM   #47
dmc42421
Registered Member

Default Not really...

Quote:
Originally Posted by tripleripple View Post
Well, you are stuck with the Brewers.
I wish I had a better comeback: I am a Cubs fan.
Old 08-08-2007, 01:25 PM   #48
The_AirHawk
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmc42421 View Post
I wish I had a better comeback: I am a Cubs fan.
"If at First you don't Succeed; then Skydiving is NOT for You.............."
Let them hate so long as they fear
политики предпочитают безоружных крестьян
Politicians Prefer Unarmed Peasants
Nothing to see here, Citizen. Move along now...
The_AirHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 01:37 PM   #49
tomk2
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by acecycleins View Post
It's good that Buell, HD, Triumph and Ducati all sell air-cooled bikes (my preferred mode of transportation). BUT it can't last. Air-cooled motors are not as efficient as their water-cooled cousins. The next step in reducing emission output is to load heavy, power robbing, "cat" loaded exhaust systems. No one here wants a heavy 65hp Buell. Buell stepped up and developed a relationship with a leader in performance motor makering- and they will find a new following.
Buell will phase out the Sporty motor and become the American Sportbike company they desire. HD will be sending FLH models out the door by 2010 with water-cooled powerplants- they've been working on it longer than they worked on the tc88 design. Triumph will design a replacement Bonni motor (with fins) and try to hide the radiator. Ducati will slowly follow Buell and phase out air-cooled bikes starting in 2010. The motors on the Monsters won't look as cool, but by then the whole "Classic" range will have run it course and be discontinued by then- so it won't really matter.
You guys on this site are the best informed bunch of guys in cycle cyber world- surely you see this all happening......

total nonsense

Both Ducati and Buell make engines that meet CARB 2008 without needing catalytic converters, I'm not aware of ANY watercooled engine that can do that. As Eric Buell has pointed out in interviews, air cooled motors have a big advantage over liquid cooled motors in the standard emissions tests.. they come up to proper operating temperature quicker.

It's the water cooled motors that seem to need the increasingly complex and heavy crap to meet emissions standards... EXUP valves, catalytic converters, O2 sensors, etc.

Lower revving air cooled motors also get outstanding fuel efficiency for their power output. As long as customers are interested in buying air cooled engines, HD/Buell and Ducati will continue to offer them.
tomk2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 02:15 PM   #50
seruzawa
The Toad

Default Quite correct.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomk2 View Post
total nonsense

Both Ducati and Buell make engines that meet CARB 2008 without needing catalytic converters, I'm not aware of ANY watercooled engine that can do that. As Eric Buell has pointed out in interviews, air cooled motors have a big advantage over liquid cooled motors in the standard emissions tests.. they come up to proper operating temperature quicker.

It's the water cooled motors that seem to need the increasingly complex and heavy crap to meet emissions standards... EXUP valves, catalytic converters, O2 sensors, etc.

Lower revving air cooled motors also get outstanding fuel efficiency for their power output. As long as customers are interested in buying air cooled engines, HD/Buell and Ducati will continue to offer them.
Water cooling's benefit as far as regulation goes is noise reduction not emissions.