Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle General Discussion

Old 08-05-2007, 09:52 AM   #1
malwilson
Registered Member

Talking Which should i get

Hi new rider and new to this site. Can anyone tell me which 600cc sportsbike is the best for a new rider like my self.
I have been looking and sitting on the suzki gsxr, kawasaki ninja, yamaha R6. As im 5 ft 8 with a small leg all of these three bikes felt ok but i cant make my mind up which one to buy.
can anyone who has any of these give me some feedback
many thanks mal
malwilson is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 08-05-2007, 09:55 AM   #2
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by malwilson View Post
Hi new rider and new to this site. Can anyone tell me which 600cc sportsbike is the best for a new rider like my self.
I have been looking and sitting on the suzki gsxr, kawasaki ninja, yamaha R6. As im 5 ft 8 with a small leg all of these three bikes felt ok but i cant make my mind up which one to buy.
can anyone who has any of these give me some feedback
many thanks mal
The answer is none of them. If you are a new rider, get something cheaper and slower for your first bike. That way you will be going slower and lose less money after your first crash. Then after that, you can see if you really wanted to ride a motorcycle in the first place.
Old 08-05-2007, 10:18 AM   #3
The_AirHawk
Founding Member

Why settle for a wimpy-azz 600? Ridin' one O' THOSE just proves you've got a tiny penis. If you're gonna kill yourself right off the bat - do it with a little STYLE!

Getcherself the freshest R1 or Gixxer-Thou your local Dealer has.

Ignore his plea that you purchase one of his overpriced helmets or other gear (all that shyte is just a racket to bilk you of more cash!), and that MSF Beginning Rider Course is for pussies.

The Secret to ridin' one O' them Literbikes is to Show that Beeyotch exactly WHO is The Daddy - leave the Dealer in first gear sedately (so's the bike won't know what you have in mind). Then, as soon as you reach the highway, shift to second violently; wackin' the throttle WIDE OPEN whilst dumpin' the clutch - let that Ho' know 'ZACKLY Who The Boss is in your new relationship.

Enjoy your new hat... erm, I mean, moto; She is now "tamed".
Let them hate so long as they fear
политики предпочитают безоружных крестьян
Politicians Prefer Unarmed Peasants
Nothing to see here, Citizen. Move along now...
The_AirHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2007, 12:00 PM   #4
acecycleins
Founding Member

Listen to the guys that say don't do it.I am an insurance professional and 25 yr enthusiast. It's not worth the expense of the learning curve. I have made this bet for eight years as m/c insurance professional: "I bet that you break plastic within the first 60 days of ownership. Doesn't matter if you drop it in the drive way or low-side a turn- 60 days." I've never had to pay on that steak & beers dinner once. Start on some UJM that cost $2500 or less. Ride for two years and decide from there what kind of rider you "want" to be. You will save money and learn with much less pressure on yourself.
acecycleins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2007, 01:02 PM   #5
seruzawa
The Toad

Get the one you like the least. That way when you drop it you won't get so upset. You ARE going to drop it. Everyone does.

If you simply MUST get a fully faired sportbike (keep in mind that the fairing doesn't make any difference in performance at anything near legal speeds) get all the accessory frame sliders and plastic protection you can find.

Have you checked insurance costs?

A "second tier" sportbike like a half-fairing SV650S performs pretty much as well as any of the 4 cylinders ones in off track riding and will be much more learner friendly and won't bring tears to your eyes when you see your rates skyrocket after your inevitable insurance claim.
Old 08-05-2007, 06:38 PM   #6
pplassm
Founding Member

Where The Hell Is Mrallcaps???!!!!
pplassm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2007, 06:39 PM   #7
pplassm
Founding Member

Stupid website won't let me "_POST_IN_CAPS_"!!!
pplassm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 10:34 AM   #8
Gritboy
Founding Member

Get a naked/standard first -- SV650, Hornet, Bandit, or whatever. It'll have plenty of grunt and fun handling, but with better leverage (with upright bars) and won't destroy your wallet the first time you drop or tip it. Aside from that we'll see you smiling doing an unplanned wheelie or see you dead if you opt not to learn to ride first. Get the supersport moto for your second bike.
Gritboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 11:07 AM   #9
trenttheuncatchable
Founding Member

What you should get is a Ninja 250 and put a 41-tooth rear sprocket on it. But we all know you're not going to do that. So, get the new Ninja 650. You'll save on the bike, and you'll save on insurance. But you probably won't do that either.
trenttheuncatchable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 02:47 PM   #10
12er
Founding Member

Default Dont Do it

If you must, and I mean no other way to persuade you otherwise get the Yamaha YZF600R, not the R6. The 600R is a 10 year old design, very easy to ride (compared to the newest 600's) and more forgiving.

I would highly recommend a dual sport like a KLR 650, DR650, DRZ 400SM etc, but due to your height those mile high seats may be an issue. SV650 or the Ninja 650 would be the edge of the performance envelope that I would recommend to a new rider. Buy a used ninja 250 or ex500 and ride the wheels off it. Take the MSF course and plan on a Full face helment, jacket, gloves at the bare minimum. Jeans are only good for scrubbing 5 to ten MPH on a crash, anything above that is skin muscle and bone. If you think gear is expensive, price a skin graft or just one day in the ER... Buy a cheap bike, but good gear.

If your Ego cant take being seen on anything but a new supersport think of that ego when you drop it in front of your riding buddies. That is if your lucky and thats the only thing you do to your new 100+hp 370lb racing missle (how much HP does a new Honda Civic have vs. the weight of said civic in relation to this puny 600). They may "only" be 600cc's but the new SS's are the fastest you can make 600cc's go. With power to weight ratio's that make a z06 Vette look like a Prius. Would you put a loved one in a z06 as a first car? Not very sensible or safe correct? So dont do the same for your first bike. At least you cant fall off a car...
12er is offline   Reply With Quote