Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle General Discussion

Old 08-01-2007, 11:08 AM   #1
Administrator
Administrator

Default 2008 Can-Am Spyder Test

Original Article:
2008 Can-Am Spyder Test

Please discuss the Motorcycle.com article 2008 Can-Am Spyder Test in our Motorcycle Forums below. Use the reply button to let others know your comments or feedback on the article. Constructive criticism is always appreciated, along with your thoughts and personal opinions on the bikes and products we have tested.
Administrator is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 08-01-2007, 11:34 AM   #2
seruzawa
The Toad

Interesting that they can bring it in at less weight than an ST1300. Sort of like a street legal go-cart. This thing would be a hoot to ride around on.

Last edited by seruzawa : 08-01-2007 at 11:41 AM.
seruzawa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2007, 12:10 PM   #3
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

Looks like lots of fun to rip around on. I'd give one a spin, but I doubt one would end up in my garage.
Old 08-01-2007, 12:30 PM   #4
Kenneth_Moore
Registered Member

"The Can-Am name is familiar to motorcyclists who were around during the 1970s and didn’t take Hunter S. Thompson-levels of hallucinogens."

And to some of us who did.
Old 08-01-2007, 01:03 PM   #5
acecycleins
Founding Member

Thumbs up Can-Am

I know some of you "purist" will balk, but there's reasoning in this thing. It will attract new and old riders. Newbies will love the ease of use theory behind the thing. Oldies (those that gave up tour-bikes because of weight) will find a valid reason to hit the road again. You can't buy a triked 'Wing or FLH for this price anywhere. I'm 41 and my daughter loves riding with me. Problem is, she's 9 and her feet don't actually touch the pegs. It limits us to "short" rides for safety sake. My wife hates the fact that I ride hard in cornering (even two-up). The stability control system will allow me to ride hard but will keep the Spyder planted. And if ANYONE is wondering- Almost every motorcycle insurance company out there has put the thing in a "sport-tour" category. So, premiums for the 35 and up crowd will be great.
Kirk
acecycleins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2007, 01:21 PM   #6
Cheesebeast
Registered Member

I suppose the tires are "car" tires judging from the size- 165/65R14s in the front and a 225/50 R15 in the rear. This means snow tires would be a possibility.

I would have to have the heated seat and heated grips.

Nanook of the North!

Does Alpinestars make Mukluks?
Cheesebeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2007, 01:51 PM   #7
Cheesebeast
Registered Member

Melange a trois would be a simple mix of three. Quite wholesome.

Menage a trois, well, less wholesome.

I read it initially as "Menage a trois", cause I am a perv.

Crafty...
Cheesebeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2007, 01:57 PM   #8
tripleripple
Founding Member

Location: Lightly Fortified Compound (apartment): Chicago, IL

"Any big-picture-loving 20-something who writes a letter complaining about the lack of BIG pictures in a motorcycle website is missing the point. Sure, you probably like clicking on small pictures and making them big and it’s but an oversight that sees you without a website with big pictures, but there are many riders out there who are less optically able to handle your *****in’ big pictures or the ability to choose to make small pictures big with a click, whether a physically challenged war vet or a petite woman."

As we say here...There, fixed that'n for ya.
tripleripple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2007, 02:04 PM   #9
bbtowns
Founding Member

It looks like a hell of a lot of fun, but despite owning half the motorcycles made in the last 20 years, I just don't see myself buying one. However renting one might be a hoot, and I'd bet they'd do a fair amount of business that way. I'm thinking their main market is going to be folks who have wanted to ride a motorcycle but are too intimidated for one reason or antoher. Would love to see some actual performance data; dyno results, 1/4 mile, 0-60, track speeds (especially compared to comparable bikes in the price range). I know it's not performance that will be the primary sales driver, I'm just curious.
bbtowns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2007, 02:25 PM   #10
seruzawa
The Toad

Default Well, look out

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbtowns View Post
Would love to see some actual performance data; dyno results, 1/4 mile, 0-60, track speeds (especially compared to comparable bikes in the price range).
Because this thing is just tailor made for some airfoils to hold the tires down at high speed. It might just get g forces greater than 1.0 and out corner some race replicas.