Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle General Discussion

Old 08-04-2007, 09:53 AM   #51
twothreeclave
Registered Member

A friend and I rode up to a Harley/Buell/Can-Am dealer in Kenosha, Wisconsin, nearly two weeks ago to take demo rides on the Can-Am Spyder. The event was well organized, with computerized sign-in procedures and a short parking lot familiarization ride before a Can-Am rider led us out onto a series of country roads for about a 15-minute ride. I was impressed with the design of the vehicle, and it had lots of power. But with its wide track, the Spyder tended to hunt a bit on the irregular back road, unlike the smooth flow of a motorcycle.

I REALLY missed not having a front brake lever, especially since we were riding very unfamiliar machines and our tour leader was setting a pretty quick pace and urging us to keep together. As we slowed for corners or stop signs, I always had to hunt for the brake lever, and that made me nervous (the brakes worked very well once I managed to apply them).

I'm guessing that Can-Am is hoping to attract a fair share of motorcycle riders to the Spyder, and if that's true, I can't imagine why they wouldn't include a handbrake lever in the design. Without it, I would never consider buying one of these things.

Jim Quinn
twothreeclave is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 08-05-2007, 08:31 AM   #52
josephblow
Founding Member

Default Looks interesting to an old geezer

I recently turned 63, and the slight equilibrium problem that I thought would keep me out of the Army in 1962 (it didn't) has been getting progressively worse for the last couple of years. I'm a sport-touring type, riding a 2000 BMW R1100RT - although not nearly as much as I would like because of the problem mentioned above. I think the conventional trikes are ridiculous, and a sidecar outfit is overkill. Something like this Can-Am Spyder could be just the ticket, and 15 grand is less than I paid for my R1100RT seven years ago. I've got to find a dealer to give one a test ride/drive.

Does anyone know what sort of mileage this thing gets? As a touring vehicle, the large capacity tank is great, but not if it only gets 20mpg...
josephblow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2007, 05:45 PM   #53
pplassm
Founding Member

According to the people at the test ride, mileage is about 40+ MPG with a light throttle hand (cruising), and dips into the 20s if you pin it all the time. Very similar to most of the big bikes I've owned. (GS1000, FJ1200, YZF1000, GTR1000, CB1000F, XLH1200)

Test ride one. It may be just what the doctor ordered.
pplassm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2007, 09:40 PM   #54
josephblow
Founding Member

Thanks for the reply - looks like the closest dealer is in Arizona. I live in Dallas, but I'm going to Phoenix next month and plan to visit the dealer there for a test ride...
josephblow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 05:53 AM   #55
anrajala
Founding Member

>No one ever said that motorcycles were limited to two wheels.

Lots of people have said this. Me included. Sure you can build a six wheeled dualie based on a Honda Rebel but it would not be commonly considered a motorcycle. If you pointed to a sport ATV and said “look, a motorcycle” even a bunch of 6 year olds would realize your brains have turned to mayonnaise.

- cruiz-euro
anrajala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 07:24 AM   #56
acecycleins
Founding Member

People only associate motorcycles to two wheel because it's what they've been taught. As far as I'm conserned, if it's "open-aired", handle-bar ridden and doesn't come with door frames then it could qualify. The MP3 isn't less of a scooter, Boss Hoss trikes are no less of motorcycle, the T-Rex (unless in the insurance world) is considered a motorcycle by most DMV (and it has a steering wheel). So, why limit it to such a narrow scope. Jeep made the first SUV, effectively. For 40 yrs people called anything that looked like a Jeep a Jeep not SUV. Then it all changed around 1985 and the SUV was it's own class. Before that they were just trucks. Why not broaden the meaning? Couldn't hurt the riding base any.
acecycleins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 06:30 AM   #57
anrajala
Founding Member

Luckily for the English language the definitions of the words are not changed whenever some great idea pops into somebody's head. Wikipedia says "A motorcycle or motorbike is a single-track, two-wheeled motor vehicle powered by an engine." Well put. By adding handlebars you'd turn riding elephants and river barges to motorcycles, according to your definition.

- cruiz-euro
anrajala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 07:59 AM   #58
The_AirHawk
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by anrajala View Post
By adding handlebars you'd turn riding elephants and river barges to motorcycles, according to your definition.
"Hey! I see you gotcherself a new Moto! How do you like it?"

"Oh, it rides OK, but cornering is somewhat sub-par.........."

(sound of trumpeting elephant in the background)
Let them hate so long as they fear
политики предпочитают безоружных крестьян
Politicians Prefer Unarmed Peasants
Nothing to see here, Citizen. Move along now...
The_AirHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 08:33 AM   #59
acecycleins
Founding Member

Wink

Quote:
Luckily for the English language the definitions of the words are not changed whenever some great idea pops into somebody's head. Wikipedia says "A motorcycle or motorbike is a single-track, two-wheeled motor vehicle powered by an engine." Well put. By adding handlebars you'd turn riding elephants and river barges to motorcycles, according to your definition.

- cruiz-euro

You're quoting a source that can be edited by anyone to reflect anything they want. Also, I said motorized- didn't I? If not it was intended. So, if a bike is a single-track, two-wheeled vehicle you have just eliminated the ENTIRE trike riding class by your narrow definition. Don't you think these "motorcyclist" would have a issue with that?
Old 08-08-2007, 08:43 AM   #60
acecycleins
Founding Member

Quote:

- cruiz-euro
BTW- your English Language "words are not changed" referrence: Ask someone the definition of racist (as used in today's context). Bet it is NOT what Websters printed decades ago. There are many words that are used in today's society that only vaguely resemble their original meanings. Not to mention the fact that there are words added to dictionaries every year that previous generations of educated people would have scoffed at if ask if they should be included into such dictionaries.