Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   Motorcycle General Discussion (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/motorcycle-general-discussion/)
-   -   Best way to sell my bike? :( (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/motorcycle-general-discussion/6076-best-way-sell-my-bike.html)

daniellemarie 07-26-2007 05:35 PM

Best way to sell my bike? :(

I have to sell my 2006 Honda Shadow Aero as I cannot afford it anymore. :eek: I am going through some family emergencies. I live in Long Beach, CA and owe about $5400 on it. I am wondering what is the best way to sell it - easily and to get the most money? I am very new at this - any recommendations?:-D

Thanks for your help!!!

Danielle Marie

BrowningBAR 07-26-2007 05:47 PM

Posting on Craigslist.org is free.

Posting here is free.

Cycletrader print/online is fee based, but is very useful.

Ebay is fee based. Also there is a lot more scams and BS you will have to deal with.

Local newspapers are good and they usually also offer online postings.

Throw a "For Sale" sign on it and put out on your front yard.

mscuddy 07-26-2007 06:55 PM

I've had exceptional luck with Craigslist. Stuff that was in the Recycler and Photo Buys for weeks got sold the FIRST DAY in Craigslist. Since you live in SoCal, put the add in the SF Valley, LA proper & the OC. You should have no problem selling it, or have someone take over payments, etc.

Then you can get an old beater KZ750 or something like it for around $500.00 and ride the snot out of it. Think about it...

ccd3 07-26-2007 07:14 PM

C'List

I'll parrot the preceding recommendations for Craigslist.. I had an old dirt bike to sell- nothing special. I took a few pictures, posted on Craigslist.. waited about 30 minutes and I had over 20 offers in my mailbox. Guy I sold it to bought it sight unseen- dropped the money in my paypal account. Couldn;t have been smoother.

If the price is right- it will sell quickly on C'list.

Buzglyd 07-26-2007 07:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ccd3 (Post 166540)
I'll parrot the preceding recommendations for Craigslist.. I had an old dirt bike to sell- nothing special. I took a few pictures, posted on Craigslist.. waited about 30 minutes and I had over 20 offers in my mailbox. Guy I sold it to bought it sight unseen- dropped the money in my paypal account. Couldn;t have been smoother.

If the price is right- it will sell quickly on C'list.

I test rode a Hypermotard today and talked to the guy at the shop about selling my Duc. I haven't had any luck on San Diego Craigslist. He said to put it on OC, LA or San Francisco instead. Apparently we San Diegans aren't serious enough riders to even consider buying something used.

sachiwilson 07-26-2007 07:33 PM

You live in Sandy Eggo??? Well damn, man. Let's go out and deposit some rubber in the hills!

Buzglyd 07-26-2007 07:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sachiwilson (Post 166543)
You live in Sandy Eggo??? Well damn, man. Let's go out and deposit some rubber in the hills!

I'm right here in traffic-choked Carlsbad.

Damn horse races! :mad:

seruzawa 07-26-2007 08:10 PM

A local TV station in Salt Lake, KSL, has a website where you can run free internet ads. This site is literally ruining the local newspaper classified ads. You might check out and see if any stations in the LA area are also offering free internet ads. I sold my 91 GSX1100G with 75K on it in less than 48 hrs of posting the ad in April.

Whatever you do, do it now because in a month or so the used bike prices are going to take a hit with the coming Fall. That's true in SoCal even though the weather never really gets cold.

Kenneth_Moore 07-27-2007 03:33 AM

Daniellemarie - what a lovely name! Just a heads up, be prepared for the endless stream of scam emails you'll get. They invariably start with "what is the condition of your..." Mr. Cuddy, how about posting those links to your articles on your bike sales episodes for the lady? She can get the scoop and a grin.

mscuddy 07-27-2007 07:26 AM

"Mr. Cuddy, how about posting those links to your articles on your bike sales episodes for the lady? She can get the scoop and a grin."

Here they be Mr. Moore.

Seller Beware - October 2006 - Rambler Man and the Bargain CZ - Dirtbike at Off-Road.com

How to Beat the E-Mail Scammers - Matt Cuddy's Adventures in Scam Land - Dirtbike at Off-Road.com