Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle General Discussion

Old 07-29-2007, 12:28 AM   #21
TransientBen
Registered Member

In your same position and with the same budget, I decided to file $1k away for the MSF course and protective gear, then the remainder for the bike. That budget puts you in great company. The question you need to mull over is what type appeals to you most. It gets pretty easy to narrow down from there.

I did a lot of research when I made my choice, but all of the advice and reading ended when I saw the last few bikes that I was considering in person.
TransientBen is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 07-29-2007, 09:34 PM   #22
findangle
Founding Member

pplassm.

I ended up with the bike cause its all there was in my area and price range. no bike dealer on this island. i should have gotten a dirt bike but thats life.

i know i havent been riding long enough to be trading up.. there is no good reason for me to be getting a larger bike.. but circumstances being what they were it happened. seems to fulfill the prophecy even if its for the wrong reason.

as for the bike itself.. the cruisers just don't seem to do it for me. i don't like the looks, the culture and from what i've seen so far they don't like to lean as much as i would like it to.

but aside from all that for some stupid reason i LOVE this bike.. i don't get it either.. i don't like other peoples cruisers.. just mine..
findangle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2007, 09:58 PM   #23
sachiwilson
Women Riders Moderator

A Sportster isn't a cruiser. It's a standard, really.

Sarnali: "what could be more useless than arguing with a deaf female lawyer????"
sachiwilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 06:31 AM   #24
findangle
Founding Member

I suppose it's close enough to the line between cruiser and standard that its up for debate.. when you say standard i think sv650 nighthawk. in my book the sporty's seat height, forward controls and weight put it in the cruiser section.

then again.. the only thing HD touches that i would even think about calling a standard is buell's blast..
findangle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 08:13 AM   #25
sarnali2
Aging Cafe` Racer

I think a 599 Honda like Sachi's is an excellent bike for someone smaller or lighter. They're decent handling and plenty fast enough, it's not something you'd feel like you needed to trade up out of. My daughter is pestering me for a bike, I'll probably start her off on a GS500 or something along those lines.

"He said he's farting because of his medication"...
sarnali2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 08:21 AM   #26
sachiwilson
Women Riders Moderator

A 599 is not a beginner bike by any means, unless that beginner has excellent small-movement coordination. It is NOT an underpowered bike, and although I know of many people who bought them as a first bike, every last one of them has dumped it under power. That said, a 599 would fit the OP well and, assuming he does have some experience riding, would be a lovely bike for all uses. Mine gets around 45-48 mpg and does everything from grocery-getting to Iron Butt rides. Two Thumbs Up!

Sarnali: "what could be more useless than arguing with a deaf female lawyer????"
sachiwilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 08:37 AM   #27
acecycleins
Founding Member

I am the guy you need to talk to when you look for insurance. It's what I do. Now, on subject: Here a bike not on ANYONE's radar. Suzuki is about to release a bike called the GSF650. It's everything you'll need in a bike (at-least for your fisrt few years). Other than that follow the SV650 leads or DL (it's ugly sister). You can find them all day and night around Atlanta for $3500 and with the money you'll save you can take me to dinner at Longhorn's and have enough left over for Kevin Schwantz's Suzuki School after the Rd Atl AMA event.
acecycleins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 09:54 AM   #28
acecycleins
Founding Member

If you have the inseam a good dual-purpose would do you some good. DRZ400, Dr650, XR650, KLR650 are all good bikes and if Supermoto is your look the DRZ400SM can be had for $4500 or less for a '06-'05.
acecycleins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 02:55 PM   #29
lwatcdr
Founding Member

Let's face it. There are not that many good first bikes available in the US. The Ninja 250 is probably the best of the bunch. It is cheap, a lot of fun to ride, and if you get one used and don't trash it odds are very good you will sell it for what you paid for it. It is an almost free first bike.
The SV 650, Ninja 650, and DL650 are all more motorcycle then a K1 super bike from the early 70s or the classic CB 750. Thank goodness that they also stop and handle a lot better.
I am probably preaching to the choir here but I just saw a letter in SportRider talking about how it is a "waste" for a new rider to get 600 instead of a 1000! Even my wife who doesn't ride now says "stupid squid" every time she sees a sport bike rider in a tee shirt and flip-flops.
She also asks me "don't they like their skulls" every time she sees a cruiser rider without a helmet.
lwatcdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 03:03 PM   #30
vermicious
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by findangle View Post
Anyone that doesn't likes Harley's simply hasn't owned one yet..
I've owned two. I didn't care for either and probably won't ever try a third.
vermicious is offline   Reply With Quote