Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle General Discussion

Old 07-26-2007, 04:58 PM   #11
sachiwilson
Women Riders Moderator

LOL!! BrowningBAR's first reply was really a good one. There are quite a few medium-size, inexpensive, affordable motorcycles out there that can do what you need and still give you a ton of fun.

I'm really glad you are taking safety seriously! Paying attention to your gear and your safety will increase your enjoyment of riding, I am positive.

If you have any questions at all about riding techniques, gear, or anything, be sure to ask.

Sarnali: "what could be more useless than arguing with a deaf female lawyer????"
sachiwilson is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 07-26-2007, 07:58 PM   #12
The_AirHawk
Founding Member

Yeah, one of my fav songs by the Man in Black. In fact, that's how I've been buildin' my Projekt Hawk over the last 3-1/2 years (which has been dubbed the "Psycho-Billy Hawk")..........
Let them hate so long as they fear
политики предпочитают безоружных крестьян
Politicians Prefer Unarmed Peasants
Nothing to see here, Citizen. Move along now...
The_AirHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2007, 04:24 PM   #13
findangle
Founding Member

god love johnny..

i just started riding a few weeks ago.. my weapon of circumstance? a $3,500 98 sportster 1200 custom. I have found these truths to be self evident.

1: no matter what, no matter how you seem to trade up bigger in the first year.. my first was a 125cc sundiro roadrunner.. i still haven't gotten it to start.. the harley is my second bike.. technically..

2: It's not "fun" to learn how to ride on a bike this heavy with roads as steep/twisty/off-camber/narrow/pot-hole(y?)/debris-covered as the ones I'm learning on. I often wonder what they would be like on a dirt bike.

3: Anyone that doesn't likes Harley's simply hasn't owned one yet.. I don't know why i love my bike.. I'm not even sure I'm comfortable with admitting my feelings for my bike.. it is after all a *squirms* Harley..

4: It doesn't like to climb hills at all when you forget to push the choke back in.. go figure..

5: a good timing light is arguably more useful then a good towel..

6: a sporty IS a chick bike.. it's roughly equivelent to 9 and a half cute puppy's. if you don't like random chicks constantly coming up to you and asking silly questions about your bike and how they can score a ride on it then this may not be the bike for you.

7: it takes a steady hand indeed to keep that much engine under control. practice is key.

in summery. i don't recommend a sportster as anyone's first bike. they're loud, heavy and can be difficult to control at low speeds.

but i don't regret buying mine one bit. i just wish it didn't look so hokey..
findangle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2007, 04:31 PM   #14
Buzglyd
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zkythen View Post
I'm 130 lb, 5'11", 32 inseam. I've got some experience riding cruisers and sportbikes. Don't worry about me being safe, I'm working on that too. I'm going to be taking a safety course soon, and I'm definately getting safety gear. It's not a question for me, but a statement.
You might want to mix in a sandwich too.
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2007, 04:41 PM   #15
BrowningBAR
Snuggles

It took forever for me to be able to gain weight. At 18 I was 6'1" 127lbs.
BrowningBAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2007, 04:44 PM   #16
Buzglyd
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrowningBAR View Post
It took forever for me to be able to gain weight. At 18 I was 6'1" 127lbs.
I think my first driver's license said 5-10 135
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2007, 04:50 PM   #17
BrowningBAR
Snuggles

Now image being 3" taller and 10-15lbs lighter. I wasn't exactly a chick magnet.

For some reason the opposite sex doesn't find you attractive when you weigh less than them.

Stupid metabolism!
Old 07-27-2007, 05:07 PM   #18
dngrusmith
Registered Member

Kawasaki Vulcan 900s are nice, but you'll find more Suzuki Boulevard C50s (800 cc.) available on the market. A used '06 w/o many miles can be had for around $5000; $6000 if you want the windshield and bags of the C50T ($8000 for a new C50T).
dngrusmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2007, 07:52 PM   #19
BrowningBAR
Snuggles

Yeah, suzuki has some afordable models, but at some point I had to end the list. I wasn't about to list everything.
Old 07-28-2007, 11:21 AM   #20
pplassm
Founding Member

Question

>1: no matter what, no matter how you seem to trade up bigger in the >first year..

You haven't been riding long enough.

>2: It's not "fun" to learn how to ride on a bike this heavy with roads as steep/twisty/off-camber/narrow/pot-hole(y?)/debris-covered as the ones I'm learning on. I often wonder what they would be like on a dirt bike.

Shoulda got a DRZ!

>3: Anyone that doesn't likes Harley's simply hasn't owned one yet

Been there. Done that. More than once.

Oh, does Buell count? Buell is the bike Harley shoulda built. Well, I gues they did, eh? Love my Buell.

>4: It doesn't like to climb hills at all when you forget to push the choke back in.. go figure..

No EFI?

>in summery. i don't recommend a sportster as anyone's first bike. they're loud, heavy and can be difficult to control at low speeds.

I thought you LIKED it?

>but i don't regret buying mine one bit. i just wish it didn't look so hokey.

Huh? Just trying to figure your post out.
pplassm is offline   Reply With Quote