Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   Motorcycle General Discussion (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/motorcycle-general-discussion/)
-   -   2008 Kawasaki Concours 14 (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/motorcycle-general-discussion/6000-2008-kawasaki-concours-14-a.html)

Administrator 07-23-2007 12:40 PM

2008 Kawasaki Concours 14

Original Article:
2008 Kawasaki Concours 14

Please discuss the Motorcycle.com article 2008 Kawasaki Concours 14 in our Motorcycle Forums below. Use the reply button to let others know your comments or feedback on the article. Constructive criticism is always appreciated, along with your thoughts and personal opinions on the bikes and products we have tested.

12er 07-23-2007 01:03 PM

Sat on one at Laguna Seca this weekend

Not a bad bike, but it doesnt look like I'll run out and replace my K12RS. The bazooka muffler comment was spot on, that or a section of telephone pole. It sticks out several inches behind the bike and may be a burnt shin issue if you put a top box on and arent carefull accessing said box after a ride.

The new 1125 Buell (still no mention on this site? WTF?)was on hand and my gigantic self fit on it pretty well, now once they stuff that plant in the Uly, I'll be a Buell owner. Sounded ok, they were firing it up periodically throught the weekend.

The race schedule was a f'n joke, they cut out most of the AMA leaving only the supersport, 1 superbike and the MotoGP race. But they managed to leave plenty of BS time on the track. If you like watching people take pace car rides then this years GP was right up your alley. Personally I was there for Racing, which there wasnt much of. Short of cheering Roger on there wasnt much action to the GP race, practice was more exciting in general. Stunt show's were scheduled but didnt materialize so all in all a pretty lame GP weekend. Still had a great time though, hard not too with great weather, great roads and a great crowd of fanatics on hand.

Kenneth_Moore 07-23-2007 01:15 PM

Pete,

I've been waiting for your review for some time, and you didn't disappoint. That was an excellent article, and it answered many of the questions I had about the bike. I also picked up new information I hadn't seen at the Kawi website or other sources.

Now that you're done reviewing the bike, I'm happy to volunteer for a long term evaluation. Florida is the perfect test site for a Super Duper Tourer. I will subject it to beach salt, swamp mist, and brutal heat while running it down endless miles of superslab. 24 months should suffice.

Thanks!

longride 07-23-2007 01:31 PM

Looks like one hellava bike. I would really like to test ride one of these things, because this might be in my sights for a new machine. Looks like another winner from Kaw.

SmokeU 07-23-2007 01:38 PM

It does look like a very nice bike and certainly a worthy successor to my '99 Concours.

I wouldn't mind seeing some high-res pics though, instead of the pre-change-almost-medium-size pics. Otherwise good article. Sucks that it gets such abismal mileage though.

SmokeU 07-23-2007 01:43 PM

Since I can't edit my posts yet............

When can we expect a dyno run?

maladg 07-23-2007 02:08 PM

Looks great. Too bad the color is so bland. One of life's little mysteries: sport touring bikes with colorless color.

Enough negativity...knowing Kawi, this will be a great bike.

acecycleins 07-23-2007 02:15 PM

Am I losing something in the translation here? I've seen three, maybe four, articles and nowhere did I see a review that looked as good as the FJR articles when they appeared. It's clearly a superior bike to the previous one. It may be superior to the FJR and, maybe even, the BMW GT, but you can find no such wording in the articles. I love the thing. I want one, but maybe not this year. Heat is an issue, but I live with an old K100rs- so I know heat. Brakes aren't as strong as one would think from the words written in a few publications (or at least the "feel"). So- what's the REAL low down here? Do we run to our local Kawi dealer and snap them up or do we wait for the Kawi, Yamaha, Honda, BMW shoot-out? Just wondering..............

Neal 07-23-2007 02:17 PM

looks like a nice bike but the mileage would be a deal breaker for me.With 26-30mpg your gonna be lookin to stop every 150 miles.To me a 200 mile run capability is mandatory....on my geezer glide I start lookin at 180 and I was excited by HD's change to 6 gal on this year's bike. Dont sound like much but the extra 50 miles corresponds to an extra fill up on a leisurely 300 mile day,which is about the minimum of what i consider touring...although maybe a "sport bike with touring capabilities " can get away with less.

Buzglyd 07-23-2007 02:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Neal (Post 166034)
looks like a nice bike but the mileage would be a deal breaker for me.With 26-30mpg your gonna be lookin to stop every 150 miles.To me a 200 mile run capability is mandatory....on my geezer glide I start lookin at 180 and I was excited by HD's change to 6 gal on this year's bike. Dont sound like much but the extra 50 miles corresponds to an extra fill up on a leisurely 300 mile day,which is about the minimum of what i consider touring...although maybe a "sport bike with touring capabilities " can get away with less.

I'm with you. 200 miles per tank allows one to cover a lot of ground in a day. 26-30 is MV Agusta Brutale territory. Heck you could just take the car!