Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle General Discussion

Old 07-25-2007, 10:34 AM   #71
sachiwilson
Women Riders Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by longride View Post
For about 98% of the riders that aren't racers, it really doesn't matter if the bike weighs 800 lbs. or 350 lbs. They go just as slow as they always do. On public roads, I don't think it matters all that much. The only time I would wish for a lighter bike, is if I have to push the damned thing 3 miles to the nearest gas station.
You are assuming that every rider has the physical strength to deal with such a heavy bike. That's simply not true. Yes, to some extent the weight of a bike disappears when it gets up to speed, but only to some extent. I've watched a lot of women riders (and a few smaller men) who are overburdened by heavy bikes. They might *fit* in the sense of being able to reach the ground and the controls with ease, and they can do ok on a nice straight freeway, but they do not have the strength to muscle it around in the turns. By the end of a day's riding they are struggling to control the bike.

Weight matters.

Sarnali: "what could be more useless than arguing with a deaf female lawyer????"
sachiwilson is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 07-25-2007, 11:04 AM   #72
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachiwilson View Post
You are assuming that every rider has the physical strength to deal with such a heavy bike. That's simply not true. Yes, to some extent the weight of a bike disappears when it gets up to speed, but only to some extent. I've watched a lot of women riders (and a few smaller men) who are overburdened by heavy bikes. They might *fit* in the sense of being able to reach the ground and the controls with ease, and they can do ok on a nice straight freeway, but they do not have the strength to muscle it around in the turns. By the end of a day's riding they are struggling to control the bike.

Weight matters.
I would have to respectfully disagree. My 2001 FLH is one of the easiest handling bikes I ever rode, and it weighs in at over 800 lbs. If you ride a motorcycle properly, there is no 'muscle it around the turns'. How hard a bike steers has more to do with fork geometry and handlebar leverage than weight. My Hayabusa takes more effort to turn in than my FLH and it weighs 300 lbs less, due mostly to the clip-on handlebars. If anyone gets tired by turning a motorcycle, they are doing something drastically wrong. Try teaching them how to countersteer. They are all pretty easy to turn in no matter how much they weigh, when you countersteer and shift your weight properly. Weight works against you when you try to ride FAST, and I mean REAL FAST, otherwise I would bet the average person couldn't guess what a bike weighs when it's moving.
Old 07-25-2007, 11:12 AM   #73
BrowningBAR
Snuggles

Moving yes, but at slow speeds, backing up, pushing the bike and uphill stops and turns weight is a big deal to someone that is 5'4" 110lbs. My wife can handle a larger bike, but it beats her up more when stopped at a hill with a sharp turn or pushing the bike around when backing up and parking lot maneuvering.

Can she do it? Yes. Is it fun for her? No. A lighter bike allows her to push it around with far less effort creating a much more comfortable environment.
BrowningBAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2007, 11:16 AM   #74
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrowningBAR View Post
Moving yes, but at slow speeds, backing up, pushing the bike and uphill stops and turns weight is a big deal to someone that is 5'4" 110lbs. My wife can handle a larger bike, but it beats her up more when stopped at a hill with a sharp turn or pushing the bike around when backing up and parking lot maneuvering.

Can she do it? Yes. Is it fun for her? No. A lighter bike allows her to push it around with far less effort creating a much more comfortable environment.
I already stated that the only time I (and most riders) would find weight a problem is if they have to push the thing. In those cases, call HOG, AMA Towing, a Gold Book number and go have a beer!
Old 07-25-2007, 11:19 AM   #75
BrowningBAR
Snuggles

The bike has a lot to do with it as she had a problem lifting many bikes off their stand in the showrooms. She couldn't lift a Honda, HD, Yamaha up off the stands. But she got on a Victory Vegas and was able to lift in just fine. And the Victory was the heaviest.

That's not to say she was able to push it around, but the bike seemed more balanced for her.
Old 07-25-2007, 11:23 AM   #76
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrowningBAR View Post
The bike has a lot to do with it as she had a problem lifting many bikes off their stand in the showrooms. She couldn't lift a Honda, HD, Yamaha up off the stands. But she got on a Victory Vegas and was able to lift in just fine. And the Victory was the heaviest.

That's not to say she was able to push it around, but the bike seemed more balanced for her.
True, weight distribution has a lot to do with how the bike 'feels' for sure. Those old Wings like my '78 had all the weight about a foot off the ground. Feels much lighter than the 74 CB 750 I had, even though it was much heavier.
Old 07-25-2007, 11:25 AM   #77
sachiwilson
Women Riders Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by longride View Post
I would have to respectfully disagree. My 2001 FLH is one of the easiest handling bikes I ever rode, and it weighs in at over 800 lbs. If you ride a motorcycle properly, there is no 'muscle it around the turns'. How hard a bike steers has more to do with fork geometry and handlebar leverage than weight.
That certainly plays a part, but I'm sure I see far more women riders than you do. I stand by my comments that some bikes are simply too heavy for their riders. Again, it's not at speed and on the straight roads that the problems arise; it's in the tight and slow. You'll notice that the other commenters agree with me.

Sarnali: "what could be more useless than arguing with a deaf female lawyer????"
sachiwilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2007, 11:30 AM   #78
nweaver
Founding Member

And although the Concours weighs 200 lbs more than a VStrom 650, it handily outhandles the WeeStrom.
nweaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2007, 11:31 AM   #79
BrowningBAR
Snuggles

I had her on a few standards and they were really problem. Seat height is higher and the reach is longer. I really thought she would have fit on a monster , but it was a no go. She couldn't get it off the ground because of the seat height and didn't like the reach.
Old 07-25-2007, 11:33 AM   #80
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachiwilson View Post
That certainly plays a part, but I'm sure I see far more women riders than you do. I stand by my comments that some bikes are simply too heavy for their riders. Again, it's not at speed and on the straight roads that the problems arise; it's in the tight and slow. You'll notice that the other commenters agree with me.
Most women I see are on Harleys, and they are always on the biggest and heaviest ones that they make. Most look like they can handle it just fine. I didn't know there were so many overmatched riders out there. Maybe that's why there are so many accidents.