Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle General Discussion

Old 07-24-2007, 03:21 PM   #61
sachiwilson
Women Riders Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by seruzawa View Post
.. you are so cruising for a "Sistah Sachi" whippin'.

I'd bet you'd love that.
Being interested in sex, even sex with phony boobs, is ok by me. But if anyone wants a whippin' all they need to do is ask.

Sarnali: "what could be more useless than arguing with a deaf female lawyer????"
sachiwilson is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 07-24-2007, 03:48 PM   #62
billhawley
Founding Member

Default Fuel mileage is a factor

Only 25 - 30 MPG from this beast? Most Connie owners I know like the 200 mile plus range they see out of the old bikes, and REALLY won't like stopping every 125 miles or so for fuel (at over 3 Bucks a gallon I might add). Looks like a very nice machine and priced reasonably considering the features and technology (though priced far beyond the long ago production amortized pricing of the old ones).

I think it will find an entirely new group of potential owners looking at a Kawi for the first time -- rather than pulling many old school Connie riders into showrooms. The old timers might more likely consider a Triumph Sprint ST instead (at a friendlier price, with less heft, and far better fuel mileage).
billhawley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2007, 05:31 PM   #63
rpt
Registered Member

Quote:
...I think that a VStrom punched to 800cc in the 650 frame would be about perfect. Or an 800 Multistrada. 800 Versys? Anywho, some bike in the 800cc range in a light chassis with some improved dirt road capability. That would be nigh about perfect for the sort of riding in the intermountain west with the long stretches punctuated with windy roads. Bikes like the Councours 14, ST1300, FJR1300 etc are just too heavy.
'00 Honda VFR.
6 ltrs/100km
did 1050 kmin one day, no problemo, until the abrupt ending (don't ask) ...
no gizmos like VTEC and stuff.

will do 250 km/h (just did, today, twice) with 70.000 km on it.

hell uva bike
rpt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2007, 05:38 PM   #64
BrowningBAR
Snuggles

The VFR can not handle off-road at all.
BrowningBAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2007, 10:46 PM   #65
yonian
Founding Member

Lightbulb Ymmv

I routinely get sub 25 mpg on my '87 Connie. If somebody is foolish enough to let me run through a tank of fuel on their C14 it will be interesting to see how much under twenty it gets. I'm getting old enough and image-indifferent enough to consider a scooter if I could get one in the US with a manual trans and clutch. I guess I'll have to stick with what I got until it wears out, except it will probably last longer than I will.

I would really prefer a lower-tech Concours with the ergos and fairing from the old one, with about 80 hp and 150 less pounds, but probably only me and maybe two other old goats feel that way.
yonian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2007, 09:24 AM   #66
SmokeU
Registered Member

Wouldnt' that be like the Ninja 650R?
SmokeU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2007, 09:29 AM   #67
nweaver
Founding Member

I just picked mine up yesterday. Wow...

Note, you don't drive it like a loon and even during break-in (deliberately keeping speed unsteady) and it is >35 MPG.

I expect post breakin, it will be >40 MPG for highway droning.

The thing is NIIICE.
nweaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2007, 09:31 AM   #68
seruzawa
The Toad

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeU View Post
Wouldnt' that be like the Ninja 650R?
A DL1000 would give you the 150 fewer pounds. So would a SprintST. Plenty of choices over these new overweight "sport" tourers.
Old 07-25-2007, 09:41 AM   #69
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

Quote:
A DL1000 would give you the 150 fewer pounds. So would a SprintST. Plenty of choices over these new overweight "sport" tourers.
For about 98% of the riders that aren't racers, it really doesn't matter if the bike weighs 800 lbs. or 350 lbs. They go just as slow as they always do. On public roads, I don't think it matters all that much. The only time I would wish for a lighter bike, is if I have to push the damned thing 3 miles to the nearest gas station.
Old 07-25-2007, 09:58 AM   #70
bbtowns
Founding Member

The reported gas mileage and the heat are disappointing. I routinely ride my 99 Concours 230 miles between fillups with a gallon left to spare. I'm hoping the fellow who said that in normal use the mileage gets up to 40 is correct! Also, with all the bad press regarding excessive heat from the FJR and other bikes, you would have hoped Kawasaki would have dealt with that. Still the rest of the package sounds mighty good. I too want to see a dyno!
bbtowns is offline   Reply With Quote