Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle General Discussion

Old 07-24-2007, 11:13 AM   #41
SmokeU
Registered Member

Eh, I don't have a problem with the weight of my '99 Concours. Though I would love something light and flickable.

Anyone find me a cheap 11-1200 Goldwing or Voyager yet?
SmokeU is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 07-24-2007, 11:38 AM   #42
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanAlexander View Post
I love those twist-n-go bikes. My first was a Tecumesah powered mini bike, then a 50cc Honda Express. Even now, I often rent scooters when I'm on vacation. Longride, my friend, you're on to something. Leave the shifting to those that can, the rest of us just need twist-n-go.

Pass the Geritol

Miss you guys,
-Sean
Sean, my friend! What you doing here man? You are on top of the Kaw corporate ladder, and yet you find time to say hi. Stop in for a cold one once in a while, will ya?
Old 07-24-2007, 11:38 AM   #43
Buzglyd
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanAlexander View Post
I love those twist-n-go bikes. My first was a Tecumesah powered mini bike, then a 50cc Honda Express. Even now, I often rent scooters when I'm on vacation. Longride, my friend, you're on to something. Leave the shifting to those that can, the rest of us just need twist-n-go.

Pass the Geritol

Miss you guys,
-Sean
We miss you too. We did an entire liter bike test and didn't wad one of them.
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2007, 11:39 AM   #44
sarnali2
Aging Cafe` Racer

Interesting bike, the 30 mpg would be a deal killer for me too I'm afraid. It's really kinda funny but this is a pure case of deja vu all over again. In '86 the first Connie came out and I was all set to buy one, I thought they were the neatest thing since sliced bread. Then I started checking out the new K 100 from BMW and decided to get that instead, now Kawi comes out with the ZX14 based Connie and I thing it's a really neat bike, however If I were to buy one today I'd get the K1200 GT instead based on coolness, dealer support, level of refinement and I just like BMW K bikes better than Kawasaki's, I have to say the fairing on the Connie looks better than the flat plank on the sides of the Beemer though.

Still a cool bike, no doubt. Realistically I'd probably buy a DL 1000 V strom and put bags and a trunk on it or find a low mile used K-GT and save $10k

"He said he's farting because of his medication"...

Last edited by sarnali2 : 07-24-2007 at 11:44 AM.
sarnali2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2007, 11:39 AM   #45
Buzglyd
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrowningBAR View Post
I loved the intro music to the video!

I'll pass on the bike, though. Give me something lighter and smaller. I don't need 120-140hp to zoom around on. I'd be happy with something in the 70-95hp range that isn't buzzy doing 75-90mph and weighs about 200lbs less.

Have they made the FZ6 less buzzy yet? I love the looks, but I keep hearing so many people complain about the motor.

I think a pair of 650Rs for me and the wife would be fun. I'm about 6 hours from the Finger Lakes. The 650R would work just fine, I think.
What are 650Rs? Breast implants?
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2007, 12:09 PM   #46
sachiwilson
Women Riders Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneth_Moore View Post
Bikes like the Councours 14, ST1300, FJR1300 etc are just too heavy.

I respectfully disagree. You have to consider what the bike is intended for. They are clearly too heavy for dirt roads, for knee sliding twisties, or sub 10 second 1/4 mile times. But once you're on the highway, the only downside to weight is less gas mileage. And some additional weight is a good thing for stability and other ride characteristics (within reason, of course) when you're doing "Supersport Touring."
You probably are still driving a '65 Cad, too. Road-hugging weight helps handling and is safer!

Sarnali: "what could be more useless than arguing with a deaf female lawyer????"
sachiwilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2007, 12:21 PM   #47
seruzawa
The Toad

Default Okay,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneth_Moore View Post
Bikes like the Councours 14, ST1300, FJR1300 etc are just too heavy.

I respectfully disagree. You have to consider what the bike is intended for. They are clearly too heavy for dirt roads, for knee sliding twisties, or sub 10 second 1/4 mile times. But once you're on the highway, the only downside to weight is less gas mileage. And some additional weight is a good thing for stability and other ride characteristics (within reason, of course) when you're doing "Supersport Touring."
I meant to say too heavy for my intended touring purposes over the next few years. Which include checking out a lot of scenery and ruins that are inaccessible unless you can ride on improved dirt roads. I've tried it on my old GSX1100G, which was as top heavy as these porker sport tourers but weighed more like 600lbs. It was a cast iron biatch and I gave up trying to visit petroglyph ruins on it. Now, if you are only riding asphalt and are satisfied with 700 lb performance on twisty roads then by all means buy the Concours 14.
Old 07-24-2007, 12:25 PM   #48
seruzawa
The Toad

Default Well....

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeU View Post
Eh, I don't have a problem with the weight of my '99 Concours. Though I would love something light and flickable.

Anyone find me a cheap 11-1200 Goldwing or Voyager yet?
... it's all a matter of trade offs. Extra weight is helpful when you get strong gusty crosswinds, but you pay for it when the roads get nasty and tight.

I guess that's why we got so many choices out there. I just wish there were more options in the 750-800 class.
Old 07-24-2007, 12:26 PM   #49
Kenneth_Moore
Registered Member

Actually I've always been a two seater sports car guy. That changed when my kid joined the soccer team, now it's an Element. Whaddya gonna do? But, if was going cross country, I'd be looking for the "White Whale" ride like Hunter S. Thompson had in "Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas." Pump the tires up to 90 psi and screw the mpg!
Old 07-24-2007, 12:29 PM   #50
Kenneth_Moore
Registered Member

What about the Interceptor?