Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   Motorcycle General Discussion (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/motorcycle-general-discussion/)
-   -   2008 Kawasaki Concours 14 (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/motorcycle-general-discussion/6000-2008-kawasaki-concours-14-a.html)

SmokeU 07-24-2007 10:13 AM

Eh, I don't have a problem with the weight of my '99 Concours. Though I would love something light and flickable.

Anyone find me a cheap 11-1200 Goldwing or Voyager yet?

longride 07-24-2007 10:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SeanAlexander (Post 166115)
I love those twist-n-go bikes. My first was a Tecumesah powered mini bike, then a 50cc Honda Express. Even now, I often rent scooters when I'm on vacation. Longride, my friend, you're on to something. Leave the shifting to those that can, the rest of us just need twist-n-go.

Pass the Geritol

Miss you guys,
-Sean

Sean, my friend! What you doing here man? You are on top of the Kaw corporate ladder, and yet you find time to say hi. Stop in for a cold one once in a while, will ya? 8-)

Buzglyd 07-24-2007 10:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SeanAlexander (Post 166115)
I love those twist-n-go bikes. My first was a Tecumesah powered mini bike, then a 50cc Honda Express. Even now, I often rent scooters when I'm on vacation. Longride, my friend, you're on to something. Leave the shifting to those that can, the rest of us just need twist-n-go.

Pass the Geritol

Miss you guys,
-Sean

We miss you too. We did an entire liter bike test and didn't wad one of them. ;-)

sarnali2 07-24-2007 10:39 AM

Interesting bike, the 30 mpg would be a deal killer for me too I'm afraid. It's really kinda funny but this is a pure case of deja vu all over again. In '86 the first Connie came out and I was all set to buy one, I thought they were the neatest thing since sliced bread. Then I started checking out the new K 100 from BMW and decided to get that instead, now Kawi comes out with the ZX14 based Connie and I thing it's a really neat bike, however If I were to buy one today I'd get the K1200 GT instead based on coolness, dealer support, level of refinement and I just like BMW K bikes better than Kawasaki's, I have to say the fairing on the Connie looks better than the flat plank on the sides of the Beemer though.

Still a cool bike, no doubt. Realistically I'd probably buy a DL 1000 V strom and put bags and a trunk on it or find a low mile used K-GT and save $10k

Buzglyd 07-24-2007 10:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BrowningBAR (Post 166102)
I loved the intro music to the video!

I'll pass on the bike, though. Give me something lighter and smaller. I don't need 120-140hp to zoom around on. I'd be happy with something in the 70-95hp range that isn't buzzy doing 75-90mph and weighs about 200lbs less.

Have they made the FZ6 less buzzy yet? I love the looks, but I keep hearing so many people complain about the motor.

I think a pair of 650Rs for me and the wife would be fun. I'm about 6 hours from the Finger Lakes. The 650R would work just fine, I think.

What are 650Rs? Breast implants?

sachiwilson 07-24-2007 11:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kenneth_Moore (Post 166116)
Bikes like the Councours 14, ST1300, FJR1300 etc are just too heavy.

I respectfully disagree. You have to consider what the bike is intended for. They are clearly too heavy for dirt roads, for knee sliding twisties, or sub 10 second 1/4 mile times. But once you're on the highway, the only downside to weight is less gas mileage. And some additional weight is a good thing for stability and other ride characteristics (within reason, of course) when you're doing "Supersport Touring."

You probably are still driving a '65 Cad, too. Road-hugging weight helps handling and is safer! :p

seruzawa 07-24-2007 11:21 AM

Okay,
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kenneth_Moore (Post 166116)
Bikes like the Councours 14, ST1300, FJR1300 etc are just too heavy.

I respectfully disagree. You have to consider what the bike is intended for. They are clearly too heavy for dirt roads, for knee sliding twisties, or sub 10 second 1/4 mile times. But once you're on the highway, the only downside to weight is less gas mileage. And some additional weight is a good thing for stability and other ride characteristics (within reason, of course) when you're doing "Supersport Touring."

I meant to say too heavy for my intended touring purposes over the next few years. Which include checking out a lot of scenery and ruins that are inaccessible unless you can ride on improved dirt roads. I've tried it on my old GSX1100G, which was as top heavy as these porker sport tourers but weighed more like 600lbs. It was a cast iron biatch and I gave up trying to visit petroglyph ruins on it. Now, if you are only riding asphalt and are satisfied with 700 lb performance on twisty roads then by all means buy the Concours 14.

seruzawa 07-24-2007 11:25 AM

Well....
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by SmokeU (Post 166118)
Eh, I don't have a problem with the weight of my '99 Concours. Though I would love something light and flickable.

Anyone find me a cheap 11-1200 Goldwing or Voyager yet?

... it's all a matter of trade offs. Extra weight is helpful when you get strong gusty crosswinds, but you pay for it when the roads get nasty and tight.

I guess that's why we got so many choices out there. I just wish there were more options in the 750-800 class.

Kenneth_Moore 07-24-2007 11:26 AM

Actually I've always been a two seater sports car guy. That changed when my kid joined the soccer team, now it's an Element. Whaddya gonna do? But, if was going cross country, I'd be looking for the "White Whale" ride like Hunter S. Thompson had in "Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas." Pump the tires up to 90 psi and screw the mpg!

Kenneth_Moore 07-24-2007 11:29 AM

What about the Interceptor?


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 09:17 AM.