Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle General Discussion

Old 07-24-2007, 08:17 AM   #31
Kenneth_Moore
Registered Member

I like your point. I've never felt the power on the 1000 Conster was in any way lacking, even when pretty well loaded up. I sort of miss the days when I'd turn the Low Rider into a "touring bike" by putting on the detatchable windshield, Mustang touring seat, and the throwover saddlebags. However, the Kawi does superslab so well that the HD is retired to bar hopping and such.

Meanwhile, I'm deathly afraid that I'll visit the local dealer, see the '14, and wind up with a damn installment loan...bigger, shinier, more gadgets are usually irresistable for me.

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 07-24-2007, 08:25 AM   #32
sachiwilson
Women Riders Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by longride View Post
The only reason you use your 600 for everything is that you aren't 6' 4" and 260 lbs with a 36" inseam. If you were, I think you might find a different mount. As for the cc thing, torque is king on the road and that 600 of yours ain't got any. Three downshifts to pass ain't my thing. Two up on a 600 has to feel like an overloaded mule unless you are cruising at 10,000 rpm.
You'd be surprised. I participate in a forum for Honda 599 owners and quite a few of them are well over 6 feet, including one guy who is 6'5" and loves the fit of the bike. I've never had any sense that my bike feels like an overloaded mule when I ride two-up, either - it is still nice and sprightly.

Whether you want torque or not is an individual preference. I used to own 1100 cc Guzzis before I owned my 599, and it was an interesting change at first, but after a while I didn't even notice the difference in torque because I had learned how to make the best use of the 599.

Sarnali: "what could be more useless than arguing with a deaf female lawyer????"
sachiwilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2007, 08:28 AM   #33
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachiwilson View Post
I used to own 1100 cc Guzzis before I owned my 599, and it was an interesting change at first, but after a while I didn't even notice the difference in torque because I had learned how to make the best use of the 599.
Yep. Row the gearbox up and down is how you make best use of it. Big bikes you just keep in one gear and it doesn't really matter what rpm it's at. Just twist and go. That can't be had with a 599.
Old 07-24-2007, 08:29 AM   #34
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrowningBAR View Post
I'm 6'1" and 185lbs. I fit on nearly anything! I RULE!
I can't disagree with that!
Old 07-24-2007, 08:59 AM   #35
sachiwilson
Women Riders Moderator

Quote:
Yep. Row the gearbox up and down is how you make best use of it. Big bikes you just keep in one gear and it doesn't really matter what rpm it's at. Just twist and go. That can't be had with a 599.
I can't disagree that I need to shift more than you would with the new Concours! But I suspect it's less shifting than you think. It's certainly not "rowing" the gearbox.

One thing we can agree on - it's good to have choices.

Sarnali: "what could be more useless than arguing with a deaf female lawyer????"
sachiwilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2007, 09:11 AM   #36
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachiwilson View Post
I can't disagree that I need to shift more than you would with the new Concours! But I suspect it's less shifting than you think. It's certainly not "rowing" the gearbox.

One thing we can agree on - it's good to have choices.

See? The 'bigger is better' isn't always a woman thang!
Old 07-24-2007, 09:43 AM   #37
seruzawa
The Toad

Default You know...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrowningBAR View Post
I think a pair of 650Rs for me and the wife would be fun.
...I think that a VStrom punched to 800cc in the 650 frame would be about perfect. Or an 800 Multistrada. 800 Versys? Anywho, some bike in the 800cc range in a light chassis with some improved dirt road capability. That would be nigh about perfect for the sort of riding in the intermountain west with the long stretches punctuated with windy roads. Bikes like the Councours 14, ST1300, FJR1300 etc are just too heavy.
Old 07-24-2007, 10:00 AM   #38
SeanAlexander
Founding Member

Default Twist and Go!

Quote:
I love those twist-n-go bikes. My first was a Tecumesah powered mini bike, then a 50cc Honda Express. Even now, I often rent scooters when I'm on vacation. Longride, my friend, you're on to something. Leave the shifting to those that can, the rest of us just need twist-n-go.

Pass the Geritol

Miss you guys,
-Sean
Old 07-24-2007, 10:07 AM   #39
Kenneth_Moore
Registered Member

Bikes like the Councours 14, ST1300, FJR1300 etc are just too heavy.

I respectfully disagree. You have to consider what the bike is intended for. They are clearly too heavy for dirt roads, for knee sliding twisties, or sub 10 second 1/4 mile times. But once you're on the highway, the only downside to weight is less gas mileage. And some additional weight is a good thing for stability and other ride characteristics (within reason, of course) when you're doing "Supersport Touring."
Old 07-24-2007, 10:11 AM   #40
BrowningBAR
Snuggles

Yeah, but it seems manufactures f' it up when they go up in CCs. Next thing you know the 800cc V-Strom weighs 575lbs (which would be more than the 1000c version) and has been given added "features" that no one likes.

It is rare that a manufacture just plunks in a new engine and say "here yah go".
BrowningBAR is offline   Reply With Quote