Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle General Discussion

Old 07-24-2007, 07:36 AM   #21
HelterSkelter
Founding Member

Default Meh!

I'll keep my ZX14 with bar risers and Givi bags thankyouverymuch.

Does anyone know what they lowered the power output to?
HelterSkelter is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 07-24-2007, 07:36 AM   #22
seruzawa
The Toad

Well, I guess I am back in that bizarro world where a bike that the manufacturer claims is more for sport than touring weighs as much as my '81 GL1100. Bikes just get bigger and heavier. And where is this 30mpg crap coming from? Is it worth it just to be able to brag that your fancy bike can get impounded .5 sec quicker than anyone elses? Still, it'd be a great bike if I were in Germany and had the autobahns handy.

But I'm not in Germany so I'll stick with the 500lb class sport touring bikes that get impounded just as easily, thank you. But then I'm someone who sees a Monster 800 as a sport touring bike.
Old 07-24-2007, 07:49 AM   #23
golfguy62
Registered Member

Angry New Kawa Concours

Rode one last week. Nice bike, smooth, fast and comfortable. BUT its a leg burner like the FJR 1300 was when it was introduced. A deal breaker for me.
Old 07-24-2007, 07:52 AM   #24
Buzglyd
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by longride View Post
200 miles without stopping? Since I travel with my wife, that would only be a dream for me. I'm lucky to get over 100 without having to stop for various womanly reasons!
With a woman on back 200 per stop would be next to impossible. They can't go that long without correcting you or handing out a chore!

With guys, 200 between stops is easy.
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2007, 08:15 AM   #25
Kenneth_Moore
Registered Member

As the old marketing statement goes: "Your mileage may vary." I suspect that once this bike is on the highway and moving at something close to legal speeds, it's mileage will be dramatically different that what is stated either by Kawi or noted by the journos. I know my Concours mileage goes from around 30 to over 40 when I'm on the highway.
Old 07-24-2007, 08:38 AM   #26
bigjames
Premium Member

Default 'bout time!

Well, you all finally got us a review of this bike, after everybody else. At least it is a good one! Now about the bike:

5.8 gallons and 30 MPG, not a long distance hauler, d@mn.
Will figure real mileage in the high twenties, and that basically sucks.
32 inch seat height, double d@mn, my legs are 30 inches long...
So, you all don't like ABS, find a puddle of diesel and try it out then...I did on a BMW. Hated ABS before, loved it ever since...
Too much heat from engine, damn again (triple), shades of BMW K1100LT that roasted my legs for a few years. Betcha that heat might come in handy in 20 degree weather. Triple d@mn ...hate roasted leg of human...
What, no radio? pity...more d@mn
Will have to ride it and the K1200GT and see which one will make me happy whilst stressing my marriage least, don't really care about wallet stress..but it has gotten a 5 d@mn rating from me, not a good start. Then again, I already have 2 geezer Glides, and an ancient Wing may be it doesn't need that radio...

BigJames
bigjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2007, 08:53 AM   #27
sachiwilson
Women Riders Moderator

Americans have this idiotic (IMHO) bigger-is-better fetish, and that's why Kawasaki made that bike rather than something with a 1000 cc engine again. For heaven's sake, no one needs a bike that big for touring, especially not sport-touring. I'd rather see manufacturers focus on cutting weight (and other flaws) out of their touring bikes, and allowing power to grow as technology improves rather than increasing the engine size.

Heck, I'm using a 600 cc bike for touring (as well as everything else I do) and my 93 HP engine is plenty, even for two-up riding. I still have a better power-to-weight ratio than just about any cage out there, after all. And I still get mileage over 40 mpg.

Sarnali: "what could be more useless than arguing with a deaf female lawyer????"
sachiwilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2007, 09:03 AM   #28
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachiwilson View Post
Americans have this idiotic (IMHO) bigger-is-better fetish, and that's why Kawasaki made that bike rather than something with a 1000 cc engine again. For heaven's sake, no one needs a bike that big for touring, especially not sport-touring. I'd rather see manufacturers focus on cutting weight (and other flaws) out of their touring bikes, and allowing power to grow as technology improves rather than increasing the engine size.

Heck, I'm using a 600 cc bike for touring (as well as everything else I do) and my 93 HP engine is plenty, even for two-up riding. I still have a better power-to-weight ratio than just about any cage out there, after all. And I still get mileage over 40 mpg.

The only reason you use your 600 for everything is that you aren't 6' 4" and 260 lbs with a 36" inseam. If you were, I think you might find a different mount. As for the cc thing, torque is king on the road and that 600 of yours ain't got any. Three downshifts to pass ain't my thing. Two up on a 600 has to feel like an overloaded mule unless you are cruising at 10,000 rpm.
Old 07-24-2007, 09:07 AM   #29
BrowningBAR
Snuggles

I loved the intro music to the video!

I'll pass on the bike, though. Give me something lighter and smaller. I don't need 120-140hp to zoom around on. I'd be happy with something in the 70-95hp range that isn't buzzy doing 75-90mph and weighs about 200lbs less.

Have they made the FZ6 less buzzy yet? I love the looks, but I keep hearing so many people complain about the motor.

I think a pair of 650Rs for me and the wife would be fun. I'm about 6 hours from the Finger Lakes. The 650R would work just fine, I think.
BrowningBAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2007, 09:09 AM   #30
BrowningBAR
Snuggles

I'm 6'1" and 185lbs. I fit on nearly anything! I RULE!
BrowningBAR is offline   Reply With Quote