Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle General Discussion

Old 07-27-2007, 06:35 PM   #121
dngrusmith
Registered Member

I've been waiting awhile for a complete test of the new Concours 14. Sounds like an impressive bike, but find 30 mpg to be totally unacceptable. Nothing yet has made me regret the purchase of my BMW R1200RT back in February. 110 hp is more than adequate and consistant 48 mpg, tank after tank, provides a generous 300 mile range per fillup (you must accept the fact that when the miles to empty readout says "0", you have about a gallon left in the tank).

Last edited by dngrusmith : 07-27-2007 at 06:52 PM.
dngrusmith is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 07-27-2007, 06:54 PM   #122
Kevin_Duke
Motorcycle.com Staff

Yeah, but the RT's 120-150-mph roll-on time is much slower...

And if you get 48 mpg out of your Beemer, you'd probably get at least high 30s out of the C14, maybe 40. Mileage has a way of tailing off drastically when pulling wheelies at every turn, right Pete?
Kevin_Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2007, 08:10 PM   #123
nweaver
Founding Member

Still in break-in, a nice relaxing 250 mile ride through the north country on mostly semi-twisted highways (1, 175, 29, etc). 38-40 MPG.

The low mileage is a combination of new bikes (mileage improves over at lesat the first 1000 miles as the motor wears in) and being ridden by lunatic journalists.
nweaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2007, 06:54 PM   #124
morriscm
Registered Member

Default Gas Mileage

Everyone seems concerned about the miles per gallon. I rode an easy 150 miles on a mix of county roads, (one mile of dirt road - 8 miles of torn up highway in single file that was under construction), and state highways. Speeds averaged around somewhere around 55 mph (top of around 70). Deliberately kept the throttle twisting to a minimum. When I calculated the MPG after gassing up it was 45 mpg.

Today I put on another 160 miles (up to 600 miles on the bike now - ready to change the oil). Road 'normally' on a mix of county roads and state highways. A friend on another bike came along (former road racer - but keeps it sane on public roads). Didn't go much over 75 mph - but had some fun in the corners. Still didn't accelerate anywhere near the bikes capacity - kept the rpm generally in the 3 - 5000 rpm range. Just the same acceleration was 'brisk' and the ride was fairly fast for the roads we were on. After gassing up and doing the math, the bike got 41 mpg.

Perhaps the bike isn't as bad on gas as everyone is assuming??
Old 07-28-2007, 07:57 PM   #125
Pete_Brissette
My member is not Junior!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin_Duke View Post
Yeah, but the RT's 120-150-mph roll-on time is much slower...

And if you get 48 mpg out of your Beemer, you'd probably get at least high 30s out of the C14, maybe 40. Mileage has a way of tailing off drastically when pulling wheelies at every turn, right Pete?
Er...wheelies?
Old 07-29-2007, 05:20 PM   #126
Roak
Registered Member

I know this topic's been brought up repeatedly since the change, but THIS NEW MO SUCKS. These guys can't and don't write worth sh!t - they sound exactly like the canned moto-press crap Sunday papers across the country fart out for auto reviews the masses read on SUV's and minivans.
Give us back the old writers at least!

-Joe
Roak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2007, 04:28 PM   #127
tesmanus
Founding Member

Default 26mpg?

The Kawi only gets 26MPG? I just did a 3000 mile road trip in my 400HP Caddy CTS-V and spent a bunch of time at more MPH than most riders would ever dare to sustain (until the cops straightened me out in NE)and averaged 26.5MPG.
Something's wrong.
tesmanus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2007, 02:20 PM   #128
rlfsurfusa
Registered Member

The build quality of this new Concours is outstanding. I took a look at one at the Sarasota, Florida dealership on Wednesday, and as a current BMW LT owner I can say this new Kawasaki is beautifully assembled. I asked for a demo ride but was told they don't do that. Suppose I'll have to wait for biketoberfest in October for the privilige. But back to the showroom, the bars on this bike seem to sit and beg to be taken. The huge lights at the front remind one of Goldwing styling. And the solid feel of the machine just sitting on showroom floor does not disappoint. I wnat one!
rlfsurfusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2007, 02:26 PM   #129
rlfsurfusa
Registered Member

The author of the article said the actual MPG figure a normal rider could expect would probably be closer to 40 mpg. He stated his wringing out of the machine gave a the low mileage of 26-30mgp.
rlfsurfusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 11:07 AM   #130
Kevin_Duke
Motorcycle.com Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjs View Post
As a proud and happy owner of an 06 FJr I'm looking forward to a comparo
A long time coming, but we'll be riding up to Laguna for the USGP on the C-14, FJR, ST13 and K13GT. Stay tuned to find out which bike we liked best!
Kevin_Duke is offline   Reply With Quote