Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle General Discussion

Old 07-20-2007, 09:09 PM   #1
BradP1987
Registered Member

Default Driving Without a License

I just bought my wife and I our first bike, 2007 Ninja 250r. The day that i bought it i was talking to a man at work that has been riding for about 40 yrs, and he told me that after you purchase a new bike, in the state of Tennessee, you can drive for 30 days w/o a license. Anyone know anything about this? Help would be great! And any suggestions as for something to do to my bike would be cool.

Brad
BradP1987 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 07-20-2007, 09:42 PM   #2
seruzawa
The Toad

If you call your local police or your State Highway Patrol or Troopers or whatever they call them in your State they will be able to tell you the licensing laws. Don't accept such data from an unofficial source.

I've been riding for 43 years and couldn't tell you the answer to that question in my State.

Good choice in a first bike, btw. Don't neglect taking the MSF riding course and always wear your gear.

You did get gear, right? Helmets? Armored jackets? Boots? Gloves? Very important to wear these. Mesh jackets will keep you cooler than no jacket at all in the hot part of the year.

Last edited by seruzawa : 07-20-2007 at 09:45 PM.
seruzawa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2007, 09:44 PM   #3
sachiwilson
Women Riders Moderator

Why not go to the source? (Google, people, Google!)

Tennessee Motorcycle License - Handbooks, Requirements - DMV.ORG

In a word, it looks like the ol' dude was full of hogwash, and rightly so. Riding without a license is just another form of suicide. You and your wife should get a MSF course immediately, then get your permits, and of course be sure you have the proper gear including pants, gloves, and boots.

Sarnali: "what could be more useless than arguing with a deaf female lawyer????"
sachiwilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2007, 09:47 PM   #4
rkrayton2000
Founding Member

Smile Great buy

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradP1987 View Post
I just bought my wife and I our first bike, 2007 Ninja 250r. The day that i bought it i was talking to a man at work that has been riding for about 40 yrs, and he told me that after you purchase a new bike, in the state of Tennessee, you can drive for 30 days w/o a license. Anyone know anything about this? Help would be great! And any suggestions as for something to do to my bike would be cool.

Brad
I don't no the laws in tenn. but in Ga you do have 30 days before you have to obtain your class "m" License as for your bike it all depends on how are you going to use. are you going to be riding 2 up most of the time? if you are I suggest a Taller wind screen the wind is murder after you hit around 70mph. The ninja is a great touring bike and even the 250 you have can do about 70+ with a passenger with no problem(about 7500 rpms)I've owned my EX500 for about 5 years now and have done a lot of touring now on it. I just got some good info on upgrades by another member of this site(thanks Mugwump58!!) New springs in the front with emulators, Wilbers makes a rear shock with all the bells and whistles, to include remote preload for the GPZ500s. Hepco and Becker make racks for the bike and the Journey 42 liter hard bags fit, there are top cases to. Hope this helps
rkrayton2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2007, 07:15 AM   #5
Gritboy
Founding Member

That's crazy talk. A learner's permit is required at the very least. Go take an MSF course (or equivalent), then get to putting some miles on that 250R.
Gritboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2007, 11:26 AM   #6
BradP1987
Registered Member

I did get a helmet, but i already have gloves and a good leather jacket. I have been riding before, since about 15, but i have never gotten my license. BTW, does everyone recommend armored pants and jackets? I know they will help better than regular leather but they are awful pricey! Are there any performance parts for my 250?
Old 07-21-2007, 11:46 AM   #7
mscuddy
MODERATOR X

Default Arrested for driving while blind...

..sure, you could probably ride nakid too, or sitting on the handlebars, but that don't make it alright.

And won't your insurance go ape if you don't have an MC endorsement?

Take the MSF course, get your motorcycle endorsement and invest in some excellent protective gear.

Take the gamble out of the deal.
Old 07-21-2007, 12:10 PM   #8
mugwump58
Registered Member

Default Just in case you haven't been there yet....

Here's a good resource for you as well. For all things two fiddy....

Ninja 250 Riders Club
Old 07-21-2007, 03:14 PM   #9
BradP1987
Registered Member

Does anyone know if they make LED taillights for the 250R?
Old 07-21-2007, 03:21 PM   #10
mugwump58
Registered Member

Default Follow the link

Go follow that link above. They know EVERYTHING there is to know, just ask 'em.