Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle General Discussion

Old 07-18-2007, 01:45 PM   #1
Kenneth_Moore
Registered Member

Default Agressive Driving?

The Florida Highway Patrol has just finished a weeklong crackdown in South Florida on "Agressive Driving." Over 600 tickets were issued, and there were 30 arrests. "Agressive Driving," according to the local newspaper, is changing lanes frequently, following too close, and similar bad driving habits done in combination with each other.

Frankly, I think this is just an excuse for the cops to pull people over. I don't think they're going to be happy until they can pull over any driver, at any time, for any reason, or no reason at all. Years ago they made seat belts mandatory. At the time, the Legislature said "this will never be a primary infraction, it will only be ticketed when another infraction has caused the stop." Guess what, it's primary now, and they patrol for it.

Socially, I'm a bleeding heart liberal Democrat. However, this police state mentality has me wishing we had public transportation that worked. What are the conditions in your area? Do you feel like you're under constant scrutiny every time you drive?

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 07-18-2007, 01:55 PM   #2
sarnali2
Aging Cafe` Racer

Not really, Cops here usually go easy on motorcyclists. Case in point, the cop that told me to "remember to ride the speed limit as I was 30 over back there" or the WSP that pointed to his radar gun and did the eyes on you thing when I blasted past at 80+ on I-5 last week. I don't feel too singled out but then I'm not a squid or pirate wannabe......

"He said he's farting because of his medication"...
sarnali2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 02:12 PM   #3
mugwump58
Registered Member

A bagged out bike and a rider with safety gear on gets no attention at all, almost, regardless of speed.
Old 07-18-2007, 02:32 PM   #4
SmokeU
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mugwump58 View Post
A bagged out bike and a rider with safety gear on gets no attention at all, almost, regardless of speed.

That happens to me all the time. I've blown by cops going 10 or 20 over and they wave. Maybe it's just the Concours....
SmokeU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2007, 05:41 AM   #5
pplassm
Founding Member

10 over is usually OK here in VA. More than that and you WILL get a ticket, no matter what you drive/ride. Warnings are rare, and, now, we have onerous "civil penalties" assessed for many offenses.

I live in rural central VA. I am sure things are different in NOVA.
pplassm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2007, 07:15 AM   #6
sachiwilson
Women Riders Moderator

I've been ok here in CA, but there's been a crackdown up in Washington too, at least in the Seattle/King County area. There have been at least two highly publicized arrests (with teevee coverage!) of bikers who are supposedly acting squidly on the freeways.

One of them is an acquaintance of mine. He's fighting the charges. I haven't seen the video taken of his "performance" so I can't comment on whether his arrest was justified at all. The other guy was pretty clearly going overboard (speeds over 100, and apparently had previously been passing on the shoulders).

Sarnali: "what could be more useless than arguing with a deaf female lawyer????"
sachiwilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2007, 07:53 AM   #7
Kenneth_Moore
Registered Member

Don't get me wrong, I think anybody who's doing stupid or dangerous stuff on the roads needs to be disciplined. Hey, I'm out there riding with my 8 year old son! However, something as subjective as "Agressive Driving" worries me. Because I don't have an inherent trust in the cops, I want them to have to be pretty damn specific about exactly what I did that was illegal. Recently on a trip to NC, I was pulled over for going 97 in a 65 in a rental car. Ok, fine, I was speeding, and I'll take my medicine for that. But, the cop added in "Wanton and Reckless Disregard for the Public Safety blah blah blah." I was the only car for miles on an empty 4 lane highway!
Old 07-19-2007, 08:07 AM   #8
rkrayton2000
Founding Member

Default Cops in Ga

It is very strict in Ga to drive with the city cops, county sherrifs, and the good ole' Ga state patrol they will pull you over for any and everything. Even the dept of transportation has their own law enforcment division patrolling the highways. The state patrol here is well know for setting up road blocks on know motorcycle roads(god help you if you don't have your class "M" license)
rkrayton2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2007, 08:09 AM   #9
seruzawa
The Toad

Default A West Jordan, Utah cop.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneth_Moore View Post
Don't get me wrong, I think anybody who's doing stupid or dangerous stuff on the roads needs to be disciplined. Hey, I'm out there riding with my 8 year old son! However, something as subjective as "Agressive Driving" worries me. Because I don't have an inherent trust in the cops, I want them to have to be pretty damn specific about exactly what I did that was illegal. Recently on a trip to NC, I was pulled over for going 97 in a 65 in a rental car. Ok, fine, I was speeding, and I'll take my medicine for that. But, the cop added in "Wanton and Reckless Disregard for the Public Safety blah blah blah." I was the only car for miles on an empty 4 lane highway!
..at traffic school told us that the traffic codes are so complex that an officer can already stop anyone anytime and search the car or wrote a ticket. It is virtually impossible to drive one block without committing some sort of infraction.

It's pretty obvious that the definition of "aggressive driving" has been diluted to a point of meaninglessness. The slow incompetent drivers are a worse danger IMHO. When you look closely at accident reports you can see that most fatalities involve the elderly or the drunks.

This concentration on nebulous concepts like "aggressive driving" is a smaller form of tyranny carried out for revenue generation. It sounds so wicked but no one can define it. Sort of like "racism".
Old 07-19-2007, 08:12 AM   #10
rkrayton2000
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneth_Moore View Post
Ya I hear you I got pulled over for 88 in 65 and the cop added a Minor wreckless driving ticket saying something like I was risking my children's lives by driving that fast while everybody is blowing past us at 80+ I call it "selective taxation" you just got to wait your turn
rkrayton2000 is offline   Reply With Quote