Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle General Discussion

Old 07-17-2007, 03:33 PM   #1
hogeye
Founding Member

Default New issue of International Journal of Motorcycle Studies now available online

The July 2007 issue of IJMS is now online: International Journal of Motorcycle Studies

From the IJMS site:
This issue focuses on the complex connections between bike and rider, and persistent efforts in the United States, Britain and Australia to resist negative stereotypes originating in America in the 1950s. Mary K. Coffey and Jeremy S. Packer show the dangers of separating man from machine, examining museum displays as recent attempts to manage the image of the motorcycle and tame its riders by divorcing the two. By contrast, other contributors focus on riding as an active strategy of resistance to negative stereotypes, in particular the “outlaw” biker image. Ed Youngblood shows that a new style of bike introduced in America in the 1970s—the dirt bike—changed perceptions of motorcycling, making it an all-American, athletic activity. In Britain, Suzanne McDonald-Walker argues, bikers also united against unfair, negative images, with a positive result: the creation of bikers’ rights organizations. Gary Winn explores how racing vintage bikes has created a new future for motorcycling. Finally, Richard Hutch demonstrates that speed is a magical elixir, and that riding a motorcycle—regardless of geography, social class, or type of bike—can become a shamanistic experience of spiritual transcendence.
hogeye is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 07-17-2007, 05:48 PM   #2
mugwump58
Registered Member

Default The snow will be here in aprox 120 to 150 days

Ok I tried. This will have to wait for winter. I just scanned it, some interesting stuff in there.

"Yet there is only one thing that makes a “real” biker, and it isn’t what marque you prefer. It’s whether you give “The Wave” to every rider you pass. This is because motorcyclists share a stronger secret bond than any spurious historicizing can ever forge: pound for pound, they are the nicest folk on the planet. Nice—yech, huh? Don’t let it get around…. It will positively ruin your image.". (Pierson 64)

Some things have changed since '64, some haven't.
Old 07-18-2007, 10:21 AM   #3
SmokeU
Registered Member

I'm just south of I-90.
SmokeU is offline   Reply With Quote