Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle General Discussion

Old 07-17-2007, 06:44 AM   #1
egschade
Registered Member

Question Who makes a quiet, flip-open helmet?

I'm going to buy a new modular (flip-open) helmet but have heard that many are very loud at speed. None of the dealers I've visited will let me demo a helmet, even though I offered to leave a deposit equal to the purchase price.

Anyway, I'm calling on the collective knowledge of the MO community. Has anyone found a quiet modular they particulary like?

K1200LTe "Shamu"

It's not the years in your life that matter, it's the life in your years...
egschade is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 07-17-2007, 07:13 AM   #2
sarnali2
Aging Cafe` Racer

I bought a new Shoei Multitec a few months ago, it's relitivly quiet. The only thing I have to compare it to is my RF900 and an old 80's BMW System 1 helmet by Schubarth

Compared to the RF900, I'd say it was about the same, no louder really. It's much more comfortable and the ventilation and anti fogging deflector work much better and it's nice to be able to flip the front up to talk or get some air if stopped somewhere for a minute. I tried on an HJC but it didn't feel the same and I couldn't find a Nolan to try. I'd stick with those brands myself and go with the most comfortable.

"He said he's farting because of his medication"...
sarnali2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 04:35 PM   #3
mugwump58
Registered Member

Default My review of a Nolan 102

I wear earplugs. If I stand up on the bike and get into clear air it's peaceful. Ventings ok. The fog insert tends not to work so well after a while, how often should helmets be replaced? The liner comes out easy for cleaning. Shields come off with out tools. It's nice to have a flip up sun screen. Comes with chin screen. The chin strap is pretty slick. No Snell certification, not necessarily a bad thing. And it's probably the only Italian motorcycling component I can afford. Unless some one flat out proves a quieter modular I'll replace it with the same thing next time. The majority of my noise issues come from buffeting problems relating to the wind screen on the bike.