Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle General Discussion

Old 07-13-2007, 08:05 AM   #1
samw5
Registered Member

Default Shark RSR2 or Shoei RF1000

debating on which helmet might work better for me.

the rf1000 is extremely light and fits me nicely (I have more of an oval head than anything).

the shark rsr 2 is sooo soft inside, offers nice venting, and has a great visor mechanism.
it's a tad heavier than the shoei (1600 vs 1400g) and a tad pricier. also i red that it was geared more towards round heads.

i was only able to try a small size rsr 2 which was too small for me (i wear medium).

i'm looking for a helmet that is well ventilated yet quiet but foremost something that will sustain high speed runs without causing excessive neck fatigue.
samw5 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 07-13-2007, 08:28 AM   #2
Gritboy
Founding Member

I'm waiting for the Scorpion EXO-1000 to finally release myself. After Arai's, Shoei and lastly an EXO-700, Scorpion's now my fav for fit and price. Good looking, great features and comfort, durable, and a price that's hard to beat. The EXO-1000 promises some new innovations...

Scorpion EXO-1000 Helmet - webBikeWorld
Gritboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2007, 08:35 AM   #3
seruzawa
The Toad

I got an Arai AstralX off of ebay for $250 after trying on several helmets at a local dealer. It's one of the lightest helmets and fits my head well. I'd advise you go try helmets on for size and not buy one sight unseen.
Old 07-13-2007, 09:09 AM   #4
pushrod
Founding Member

How are the Scorpions for ventilation?

While I love my ARAI Signet, the price for a replacement has me looking at the EXO-700, which seems to fit my economy-sized melon.

Riding in this morning, while it was "raining steam", was really hard on the styling gel!
pushrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2007, 10:03 AM   #5
Kenneth_Moore
Registered Member

Grab a copy of this month's Motorcyclist magazine. They have a huge helmet comparo; there must have been 50 or so reviewed.
Old 07-13-2007, 10:21 AM   #6
sarnali2
Aging Cafe` Racer

Definatly buy on fit. I have a Shoei head so that's what I stick with, I have a new Multi Tec flip front that I'm pretty happy with. My passenger helmet that my daughters use is an RF1000 and my last helmet was an RF900. Before I bought the Shoei I tried on a Shark, Scorpion and Soumy which were nice but the Shoei fit my pun'kin the best.

"He said he's farting because of his medication"...
sarnali2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2007, 11:04 AM   #7
samw5
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by samw5 View Post
debating on which helmet might work better for me.

the rf1000 is extremely light and fits me nicely (I have more of an oval head than anything).

the shark rsr 2 is sooo soft inside, offers nice venting, and has a great visor mechanism.
it's a tad heavier than the shoei (1600 vs 1400g) and a tad pricier. also i red that it was geared more towards round heads.

i was only able to try a small size rsr 2 which was too small for me (i wear medium).

i'm looking for a helmet that is well ventilated yet quiet but foremost something that will sustain high speed runs without causing excessive neck fatigue.
absolutely. and I did try both, they seem equally nice. the shark interior is awesome (eventhough the one i tried was just a tad too tight, i think the medium would work perfectly). the rf1000 feel amazing as well, extremely light on my head.

so it basically comes down to ventilation/high speed stability which unfortunately i can't really test at a store.
Old 07-13-2007, 12:07 PM   #8
DB_in_Camarillo
Founding Member

I have the EXO-700 and absolutely love it. I have the cash to own any of the Shoe/Shark/Arai brands but I just prefer the fit and comfort of the EXO-700 and it comes stock with fog guard shield that works amazingly. If you have not tried one on you really should.
DB_in_Camarillo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2007, 12:32 PM   #9
samw5
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DB_in_Camarillo View Post
I have the EXO-700 and absolutely love it. I have the cash to own any of the Shoe/Shark/Arai brands but I just prefer the fit and comfort of the EXO-700 and it comes stock with fog guard shield that works amazingly. If you have not tried one on you really should.
ya I've heard good things about Scorpion helmets. I haven't tried one yet, price looks good, design is a bit more loaded than the RSR2 or RF1000 IMO though I do like it.

The EXO-1000 looks really cool, I just can't seem to get past the 5 color choices available... I've got 2 KBC helmets, black and gun metal (VR7 and VR2) and need something a bit more colorful.
Also the pump type design scares me a bit... reminiscence of a bad pair of shoes I used to own!
Old 07-13-2007, 01:25 PM   #10
kavenger
Banned

Here is site that I use for Helmet compares. I have the RF1000.. I liked my RF800 better. The 1000 is lighter, better vents, but the 800 fit me a little better and was slightly quieter I think Definitely go to a big motorcycle shop and try them on and walk around for awhile.
kavenger is offline   Reply With Quote