Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle General Discussion

Old 07-07-2007, 08:54 PM   #21
sarnali2
Aging Cafe` Racer

I had a '73 RT3-360MX when you were stealing my MX Action mags out of my locker airdale. Fun bike, I MX'd, Poker runed, Enduro'd and just hammered it everytime I was home on leave. Trophied on it a bunch of times but the only MX I won was on my dads radial fin red tank Chay Zed..Happy days bro......

Most of the newer bikes I've had have been a little under or a little over 100 HP, to me that's more than enough for the street. My Bonnie and the Harleys have been around 60~75 hp which is also enough to get up to the ton with my Hagrid-ass on them. I imagine cutting off all my hair and wearing a helmet added to the streamlining and gave me a few horses as well.

When I read articles about 180 HP sportbikes I have to admit I'm impressed but I'm also experianced to know there's no way in hell anyone is using more than 100 or so horses on the street anyway so it's just mental mastrubation to think you need that.

Remember boys and girls....Uncle Stevent says "It's more fun to go fast on a slow bike than to go slow on a fast bike".....

"He said he's farting because of his medication"...
sarnali2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 07-07-2007, 09:46 PM   #22
seruzawa
The Toad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schoon View Post
Nice bike's cuddy, I like the old dt's my first bike was a 175, I now have a 360, 250 and a mt-250 elsinore that I am "restoring". Two-strokes are fun bikes to ride even for a fat ass like me.
I've still got a '78 IT175 that we keep up at our cabin for jaunts into town for ice, etc. Sure was a pain getting the jetting right for 6000 to 8500 feet altitude but that little 2 popper still motors along quite nicely and is still at least as fast as the latest of the 250 4 strokes. As far as offroad goes we didn't change to 4 strokes because they're better. Emissions drove the market, not performance.
Old 07-08-2007, 04:29 AM   #23
Schoon
Founding Member

I agree, the 360 pulls as hard or harder than the dr and I have moded it.
Schoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2007, 11:11 AM   #24
mscuddy
MODERATOR X

Default Rt3mx...

"I had a '73 RT3-360MX when you were stealing my MX Action mags out of my locker airdale. Fun bike, I MX'd, Poker runed, Enduro'd and just hammered it everytime I was home on leave. Trophied on it a bunch of times but the only MX I won was on my dads radial fin red tank Chay Zed..Happy days bro......"

Did your '73 RT3MX have red or black stripes on the tank? Remember, in '74 Yamaha dropped the old style enduro, and went with the MX framed DT series (they quit using the AT-CT-DT-RT prefix, and every enduro became a DT). The '74 DT360 Enduro was a toad, that holed pistons and didn't have the good old flywheel mag, which made the powerband about as wide as the tip of an exacto knife. Also, for some reason Yamaha put a 30mm carb on the damn thing, which also strangled the motor.

I had a nice '75 CZ250, red coffin tank, sunburst head...mikuni..here's a link to a pic...sold it about 3 years ago. It was the "after the last ride" bike out in the dez, when we'd all be buzzed from too many pitchers of Bud, and we'd all take turns stuffing the handgrips into the dirt. You could really trun them old chay zeds.

Seller Beware - October 2006 - Rambler Man and the Bargain CZ - Dirtbike at Off-Road.com
Old 07-08-2007, 01:36 PM   #25
Schoon
Founding Member

Smile

Thanks for letting me know my 360's a toad, never having the chance to ride an older one I thought it pulled rather well.
Old 07-08-2007, 01:45 PM   #26
mscuddy
MODERATOR X

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schoon View Post
Thanks for letting me know my 360's a toad, never having the chance to ride an older one I thought it pulled rather well.
Yeah, they pull just fine 'till they get hot, then around mid-range you hear the dreaded rattle of detonation.

A buddy of mine just restored a nice green tank '74 DT360, and it holed a piston 100 miles into the new top end. Paul Thede from Race Tech has the fix, a re-shaped squish band in the head, and a bigger carb (or re-jet the tiny 30mm that came stock with a fatter carb slide needle).

You can also double up on the head gasket, which lowers the compression ration, and stops the detonation when the bike gets hot. That, or stick a few more base gaskets under the cylinder (that raises the ports, making the power band even more goofy).

Don't get me wrong, I liked the '74 DT360, but the top end flaw didn't make it as good as the earlier versions.
Old 07-08-2007, 02:23 PM   #27
sarnali2
Aging Cafe` Racer

Silver tank, black stripe with a thin red border. The silver tank red stripe was the 250 I believe. I raced it basically stock except my dad re-did the rear frame section and we put a set of Koni's at 45*...Gave more travel than the stock thermal flows but I wound up bending the swing arm so by the time we gusseted it the added unsprung weight negated any effect the lay-down shocks had. I have a picture of me racing at Washougal on TriumphRat.net but I don't know how to link it here.

I also had a '74 Yellow tank 250 MX for years until my ******* ex bro-in-law stole it. The last dirty bike I had was my dad's radial fin silver tank red frame 380 Chay Zet. I let a buddy borrow it and it wound up seizing on him so he gave me a couple of hundred bucks for it and we called it good. I miss dirt bikes but I have a glass knee from a little chrome and steel interface and I can't risk hammering it anymore.

"He said he's farting because of his medication"...

Last edited by sarnali2 : 07-08-2007 at 02:28 PM.
sarnali2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2007, 02:28 PM   #28
Schoon
Founding Member

I took no offence, I just never knew that much about them. Little bro thought I needed some projects and I ended up with three 2strokes in my shed. Everybody always say it was a "powerful" bike. Talked to Rick Borgett at Laguna last year and he told stories about them. All I had to judge by was my first bike 76 175 and I have slept a few times since riding it, and a "not running so well" 75 250. I would like to ask if all 360's take the, kick it over three time's key off and choke on, then key on one kick will do it. Sorry for hijacking the thread.
Old 07-08-2007, 04:57 PM   #29
mscuddy
MODERATOR X

Yep, my '73 had the manual compression release that was stock on 360s since 1972, right above the exhaust port. Your's has the automatic one, hooked up to the kickstarter.

You have the startin' drill correct for any big two stroke, kick it over slow about three times with the choke on (to charge the cylinder)then give it a GIANT kick, with the choke still on, and it should light off. Make sure you bring the ratchet all the way up on the kickstarter, or it might kick-back on you..

I use tell fellow high schoolers if they wanted to ride my 360, they had to start it. Most of the time they'd limp away cursing, after the beast kicked back, and tore the skin of their ankle on the pipe seam...
Old 07-08-2007, 05:22 PM   #30
mscuddy
MODERATOR X

Default You mean this pic?

"have a picture of me racing at Washougal on TriumphRat.net but I don't know how to link it here."

This one shipmate?

TriumphRat.Net :: Triumph Motorcycles, RAT Discussions, Triumph Web Links, Motorcycle News, Events, Triumph FAQ