Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle General Discussion

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 07-06-2007, 11:42 AM   #1
forgetcolor
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 4
Default Next Bike Suggestions?

I want to make sure I'm not missing something I should be considering.

I am most interested in a standard-style bike (new or late used) that includes an upright riding position, super smooth tranny and power delivery across the board, strong torque. I like the naked look, but also would appreciate a bit of fairing, although my riding is almost all in town.

I currently have a '91 Yamaha Virago 750 and an '05 BMW F650 GS. The virago is ready to be sold. I love many things about the BMW, including riding position, light weight, low CoG, ABS, low seat height. But here's what I don't like: *terrible* local service (e.g. they damage the bike and try and hide it when you give it to them for service), clunky tranny, not enough torque/power.

Bikes I'm considering are: Bandit 1250, Honda 919, Ducati Monster (800 or 1000). Unfortunately, the local suzuki/honda dealer doesn't carry either of the first two, and the closest Duc dealer is about 100 miles away. I'd consider the BMW R1200R, but with the rotten service I can't really consider it unless I'm willing to take it over 2 hours to the next closest BMW dealer.

Seat height is a real issue for me. My F650 is a lowered model with 29.5" seat height. It's very comfortable. I'm 5'7" with a 27.5" inseam, so I can't do anything too tall. I'm hoping I can fit on a Bandit, but haven't tried it yet (found one close by to check out soon). I don't need flat foot, but I need enough grip to back up and be safe.

Thanks for any suggestions of other bikes to consider.
forgetcolor is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 07-06-2007, 11:55 AM   #2
Kenneth_Moore
Registered Member
 
Kenneth_Moore's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: VIsiting the GIft Shop in the Pit of DIspair
Posts: 7,118
Default

Go visit your friendly neighborhood Triumph dealer. They have more than enough models that fit your description to at least have a look at. The dealer in my area was extremely helpful; I had a fun 1/2 day at the place a few weekends ago.
__________________
www.kennethmoore.org
Kenneth_Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007, 11:59 AM   #3
BrowningBAR
Snuggles

 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: In a really, really, really old farmhouse
Posts: 4,369
Default

Give a list of what dearlships are near you. You sound like you don't have much dealer support out there...though, you mention Ducs and Beemers.
BrowningBAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007, 12:06 PM   #4
kavenger
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Seatte, WA
Posts: 174
Default MO has some great shootouts

Besides a low seat Buell Lightning I have some obvious suggestions, please forgive me if you have already considered these Suzuki SVs 650 and 1000 and Kawasaki Versys™ and Z1000 and Yamaha FZ1 and FZ6.. and of course last but certainly not least the Buell which have some low seat variants.. MO has some great shoot outs for Standards
kavenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007, 12:08 PM   #5
kavenger
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Seatte, WA
Posts: 174
Default

Great point. I always forget Triumph but the dealer near to me let's you test bikes and sarnali has had good experience with both the bikes and this particular dealer.. That Speed Triple is cool looking bike..
kavenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007, 12:41 PM   #6
forgetcolor
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 4
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrowningBAR View Post
Give a list of what dearlships are near you. You sound like you don't have much dealer support out there...though, you mention Ducs and Beemers.
I have:

-Honda/Suzuki/Kawasaki/Victory dealer that carries sportbikes and cruisers (no standards)
-Harley Dealer (no Buell)
-BMW Dealer (with such bad service and experience that I'll never go back)

Then, the closest of the rest:
-Ducati: 90 miles
-Triumph: 45 miles (low inventory)
-Buell: 50 miles (no idea of inventory)
-BMW: next closest is about 120 miles

I am about 135 miles from downtown Chicago, so I could always go there if I had to. However, the best option would be a make that could be serviced locally. I don't have the ability to haul a bike anywhere.
forgetcolor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007, 12:48 PM   #7
Kenneth_Moore
Registered Member
 
Kenneth_Moore's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: VIsiting the GIft Shop in the Pit of DIspair
Posts: 7,118
Default

You could start scanning Cycle Trader etc. and see what's available. You could see a lot of bikes, save all that depreciation on a new bike, and finding a low mileage version of most anything isn't that hard. A lot of buyers wind up parking them in the garage after the first cager comes at them.
__________________
www.kennethmoore.org
Kenneth_Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007, 12:50 PM   #8
BrowningBAR
Snuggles

 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: In a really, really, really old farmhouse
Posts: 4,369
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by forgetcolor View Post
I have:

-Honda/Suzuki/Kawasaki/Victory dealer that carries sportbikes and cruisers (no standards)
-Harley Dealer (no Buell)
-BMW Dealer (with such bad service and experience that I'll never go back)

Then, the closest of the rest:
-Ducati: 90 miles
-Triumph: 45 miles (low inventory)
-Buell: 50 miles (no idea of inventory)
-BMW: next closest is about 120 miles

I am about 135 miles from downtown Chicago, so I could always go there if I had to. However, the best option would be a make that could be serviced locally. I don't have the ability to haul a bike anywhere.
I would drive the distance to see what is out there and what is comfortable and than try to force a dealer near you to order a model you want. After all, if you are willing to spend cash, you should be able to get them to bring in any model.
BrowningBAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007, 12:51 PM   #9
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

 
longride's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Anywhere they let me
Posts: 10,479
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by forgetcolor View Post
I want to make sure I'm not missing something I should be considering.

I am most interested in a standard-style bike (new or late used) that includes an upright riding position, super smooth tranny and power delivery across the board, strong torque. I like the naked look, but also would appreciate a bit of fairing, although my riding is almost all in town.

I currently have a '91 Yamaha Virago 750 and an '05 BMW F650 GS. The virago is ready to be sold. I love many things about the BMW, including riding position, light weight, low CoG, ABS, low seat height. But here's what I don't like: *terrible* local service (e.g. they damage the bike and try and hide it when you give it to them for service), clunky tranny, not enough torque/power.

Bikes I'm considering are: Bandit 1250, Honda 919, Ducati Monster (800 or 1000). Unfortunately, the local suzuki/honda dealer doesn't carry either of the first two, and the closest Duc dealer is about 100 miles away. I'd consider the BMW R1200R, but with the rotten service I can't really consider it unless I'm willing to take it over 2 hours to the next closest BMW dealer.

Seat height is a real issue for me. My F650 is a lowered model with 29.5" seat height. It's very comfortable. I'm 5'7" with a 27.5" inseam, so I can't do anything too tall. I'm hoping I can fit on a Bandit, but haven't tried it yet (found one close by to check out soon). I don't need flat foot, but I need enough grip to back up and be safe.

Thanks for any suggestions of other bikes to consider.

Hmmmmmm.....need a bike with torque, low seat height, a standard, and could possibly use wind protection, I'd say that a Sportster would fill the bill perfectly. Tranny might not be super smooth, but I tested an 06 and liked it alot. The 07's are fuel injected this year, and the price for a Sporty is very reasonable. Other than that pick, I'd stick with any of the Japanese standards, except most dont have an abundance of torque and almost all have tall seat heights.
__________________
I'm a knucklehead
longride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007, 01:01 PM   #10
BrowningBAR
Snuggles

 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: In a really, really, really old farmhouse
Posts: 4,369
Default

If he's looking to replace the Virago with something comperable, than a sportster would be it.

As a side note, do most people get the smaller or larger tanked sportsters?
BrowningBAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off