Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle General Discussion

Old 07-06-2007, 12:38 AM   #71
ofreen
Registered Member

It is a parody of a motorcycle. I like parodies if they are well done, like, say, 'Monty Python and the Holy Grail.' Holy Grail made me laugh until my face hurt the first I saw it. Just like the Victory Vision does now.
ofreen is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 07-06-2007, 05:21 AM   #72
Steve781
Founding Member

Before I can consider buying it I have to figure out where Max Von Sydow got his wardrobe. That should give me plenty of time to get old, fat, and wealthy enough to fit into the target demographic for this bike.
Steve781 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007, 05:25 AM   #73
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve781 View Post
Before I can consider buying it I have to figure out where Max Von Sydow got his wardrobe. That should give me plenty of time to get old, fat, and wealthy enough to fit into the target demographic for this bike.
The only real demographic for this bike would be the blind.
Old 07-06-2007, 05:35 AM   #74
Kenneth_Moore
Registered Member

I think you've left out the highly profitable markets this bike is sure to appeal to in Eastern Europe/Russia. The demographics of Qazaqstan, Tocharstan, Nenetsia, and Yakutia just scream "Victory Vision!" Wonder if they're working on their export licenses?
Old 07-06-2007, 08:28 AM   #75
bigjames
Premium Member

Default Fugly, yeah, that's it....

Looks like somone mixed the DNA or a K1200LT, Electra Glide and a Gold Wing and came up with Fugly, the rolling road beast...each has their own merits, but combined, yep, Fugly is what you get...definitely need a full coverage (with dark sheild) helmet to ride that thing. Of course, next to a Rune, it looks quite sedate and normal...
bigjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007, 08:41 AM   #76
mscuddy
MODERATOR X

Default Mix 'n match

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjames View Post
Looks like somone mixed the DNA or a K1200LT, Electra Glide and a Gold Wing and came up with Fugly, the rolling road beast...each has their own merits, but combined, yep, Fugly is what you get...definitely need a full coverage (with dark sheild) helmet to ride that thing. Of course, next to a Rune, it looks quite sedate and normal...
Maybe they can combine the DNA of all three bikes and create something truly unique. Take the bags off the Vision onto the Rune, or the phorks off the BMW onto the vision...better yet, take the fairing off the vision, along with the bags from the BMW, and a gas tank from a pre-war Royal Enfield (onto the rune), add some tailfins from a '59 Caddy, put some glasspacks on it, and viola. Sell the whole idea to Mark Blackwell's forward thinking design team as a truly new idea for big $$$.
Old 07-06-2007, 08:53 AM   #77
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

Is it just me, or is everyone else haveing lots of fun beating up on this monstrosity. I truly feel for the Victory company as a whole, because I think they make some pretty nice bikes. This bike may well turn out to be the albatross that gets hung around their neck.
Old 07-06-2007, 09:04 AM   #78
chickenman_26
Founding Member

Default A bit of industry insight

I've worked in the luxury-touring segment of the bike business as a magazine writer for a number of years. And though I prefer the less-is-more approach to long distance riding, I've paid close attention to the preferences and behavior of folks who purchase these huge sleds.

There's a lot of brand/model loyalty involved with the purchase of a luxo-rig. With the Harley baggers, it's mostly the fact that it's a Harley. With the Wingers, it's the fact that it's a Wing - a bike with a 33 year history of comfort and long-term reliability. The KLT is a whole different animal; BMW loyalists seem to hate it. Regardless, to garner crossover sales, a company like Victory would need to offer not just more of the same old thing with a different badge; it would have to be something seen as truly different, even unique. In that regard, the Vision succeeds. But all three of these marques have seen an increase in recent years of aging, first-time riders with large disposable incomes and no preconceived notions of what a bike should be purchasing 850 pound motorcycles as "beginner bikes." That demographic may be Victory's best hope of success with the Vision.

This demographic isn't concerned with horsepower to weight ratios, ground clearance, the ability to hang off in tight corners, or even the new friends/lifestyle image they might acquire when they join a marque's support group (HOG, GWRRA, BMWMOA). And I'm not sure they're even that much concerned with luggage capacity. They're mostly after comfort, convenience, maintenance-free reliability, the same kind of gadget platform one might expect in the latest luxury cars, and the illusion that they're motorcyclists. Their aging knees and backs, combined with their often extreme body weights will appreciate the Laz-E-Boy riding position - no need to attach highway pegs or backrests, or to reposition the handlebar to the rear. My hunch is that it'll be a long time before most of you consider any of these things as top priority.

I examined a couple of Visions at the Honda Hoot demo rides a few weeks ago, though I didn't get to ride one, as the company seemed to be using them mainly as lead or chase bikes during the demo rides. I was impressed with some of the engineering, especially things like the forward mounted fuel and the battery location just behind the fairing's lower "chin" to keep the center of gravity down. But to me, the bike seemed more like a giant scooter than a motorcycle. Though they look huge from the outside, the saddlebags appear to actually hold far less than either the Harley Ultra or the Gold Wing. And though they claim that top box will swallow two full face helmets, I have my doubts. Sitting on the bike, I felt more like a passenger than a rider; the ergos don't seem designed to enhance the rider's control of a motorcycle - more like watching TV while sitting in a recliner.

I talked to Victory's marketing folks back in 2000 when they were striking out in different directions, trying to decide what they wanted to be when they grew up. I suggested developing a full-blown touring rig for serious riders. This isn't what I had in mind.
chickenman_26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007, 09:12 AM   #79
mscuddy
MODERATOR X

Default Everyone loves a turkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by longride View Post
Is it just me, or is everyone else haveing lots of fun beating up on this monstrosity. I truly feel for the Victory company as a whole, because I think they make some pretty nice bikes. This bike may well turn out to be the albatross that gets hung around their neck.
Yes, indeedy. Most would rather read a "roast" on a bike of dubious merits, than a good (read boring) test on a decent machine. And when the test reads like an ad promo on a bike, that...er..looks so gawdawful and ponderous, you see the results.
Old 07-06-2007, 09:12 AM   #80
BrowningBAR
Snuggles

Quote:
Originally Posted by longride View Post
I mentioned that earlier. It seems like they dumped A LOT of money into this.
BrowningBAR is offline   Reply With Quote