Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   Motorcycle General Discussion (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/motorcycle-general-discussion/)
-   -   2008 Victory Vision - First Ride (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/motorcycle-general-discussion/5803-2008-victory-vision-first-ride.html)

naco_traficante 07-05-2007 11:45 AM

Actually motorcycleusa.com did a review and seemed to be pleasantly surprised by the bike's performance.
2008 Victory Vision Street and Tour - MotorcycleUSA.com

sarnali2 07-05-2007 12:25 PM

Weeelll.... I don't think it looks as bad in these photos as it did in the original release photos. I'm not a fan of luxo-barges anyway so my opinion is kinda moot, I will go out on a shakey limb and say IMO it doesn't look any worse than a K1200LT, Goldwing or FLHTCUI-WTFTA..........

I see a few Victorys from time to time around here, they're not bad looking bikes. The Vegas and 8-ball in particular don't look bad going down the road and I'm sure these will look ok outside in the fresh air. No matter really I'd no more buy one of these than the above mention 'Wing or Ultra, my taste in touring bikes is more R1200RT, Sprint or even a Buelly Ully.

Different strokes.....

Kenneth_Moore 07-05-2007 01:14 PM

Personally, I like it when form follows function. That's why I've always liked the Porsche 911: there's nothing there that doesn't need to be there for the car to do what it's supposed to do. Likewise with a lot of bikes I really like. When a designer "designs in" stuff that is there simply to create a "look," frequently it winds up looking dated or just plain lousy after the current fad has passed. Fins on cars are a great example. From the photos, it appears to me there is a lot of extraneous "styling" that serves no purpose whatsoever. Like 300 series tires on a "street" bike.

longride 07-05-2007 01:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sarnali2 (Post 164429)
I will go out on a shakey limb and say IMO it doesn't look any worse than a K1200LT, Goldwing or FLHTCUI-WTFTA..........

Man, that's a REAL shaky limb. That limb done broke and hit your house and broke your picture window and then killed the cat. :p The 'Abortion from Alien' can only compare in complete ugliness to the Rune, and in fact, I would probably take the Rune over this thing. It looks like it got a disease and started growing appendages! :-D

Kenneth_Moore 07-05-2007 01:21 PM

AND, those ridiculously large saddlebags won't hold stuff! A 'Glide may not be state of the art, but the damn things function.

BrowningBAR 07-05-2007 01:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by longride (Post 164436)
Man, that's a REAL shaky limb. That limb done broke and hit your house and broke your picture window and then killed the cat. :p The 'Abortion from Alien' can only compare in complete ugliness to the Rune, and in fact, I would probably take the Rune over this thing. It looks like it got a disease and started growing appendages! :-D

The "Street" version without the hump on it's back is better. I would take that over the rune. I would take the rune over this one, though.

I believe I'm splitting hairs on a gnat's @ss at this point.

maladg 07-05-2007 01:25 PM

not sure if this is true, but...

I had heard a rumor that the Victory in question is a direct copy of a bike Monk Mayfair commissioned in Fall of 1936. Monk, Ham, Doc and the crew were back from the Arctic where they - finally - "handled" John Sunlight.

As usual, Monk & the boys raced off to yet another exotic adventure locale way before the designers and fabricators could finish the prototype. (the Traub guy is also rumored to have done the motor)

Anyway, the prototype languished in a barn in Wisconsin until 2001 when a Victory poobah happened upon it. The rest is history!

sarnali2 07-05-2007 01:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kenneth_Moore (Post 164437)
AND, those ridiculously large saddlebags won't hold stuff! A 'Glide may not be state of the art, but the damn things function.

Now, I think Road Glides are pretty cool..If I was in the market for a full on touring bike I'd get one of them, but I think they screwed the pooch with the 96incher. A co-worker of mine lemon-lawed an '06 Ultra for and '07 and he's not too happy with it throwing off so much heat.

I think this Victory is over the top style wise but like I said, I don't think it's any worse than a 'Wing, K-LT or Ultra in being way more than I would want in a bike....

The Rune, now that's another story

lwatcdr 07-05-2007 02:05 PM

"Honda got burned nearly to death over their attempt to change the paradigm from I-4s to V-4s."
But the V-4 had some real problems as well. They ate camshafts and it costs a small fortune to adjust the valves on them. The Interceptors did well enough for them and the VFR is still around.
I think Honda buyer are actually the most willing to accept new ideas. The Goldwing's flat four was a HUGE change and was adopted quickly. The reason why is it worked well in that application. Yamaha's V-Max also has a V4 and has a large following. I think Honda's problems with people accepting the V4 had more to do with actual technical issues than with them being new technology.
Yea an I4 from Duacti will probably not go over well but then again the "new" transverse I4s from BMW do seem to be selling well.
I think a lot has to do with the market for the bike as well as how well it really does work.
If the new tech works really well then people will accept it.
PS I am posting this from my Linux workstation.

seruzawa 07-05-2007 02:14 PM

I've looked at this Victory several times and I think that all it needs to achieve lightspeed is a pair of huge fishtail mufflers sort of like those on the old 72 BSA Rocket triple. I mean really BIG ones. A winged Shogun over-mantle should be a freebie for all new buyers. I'd even throw in a pair of triple disced antennae for the helmet. Or maybe those spinning ring antennae like on Robby the Robot.