Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle General Discussion

Old 07-05-2007, 11:04 AM   #41
Kenneth_Moore
Registered Member

Assuming they're pushrod engines, especially single pin cranks, yes, But,the question was: "Why get this over a Wing, which has a much smoother, more powerful engine, better looks, etc?" I think the "big rumbling V-Twin engine" answer is a reasonable one.

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 07-05-2007, 11:04 AM   #42
Gritboy
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lwatcdr View Post
Real simple. How does it ride? Isn't that the big question? When I was a kid the Z1 and CB750 where the bikes of choice. To me the ZRX1200 was a great looking bike. I admit that I don't find this bike a thing of beauty but I don't think it is any worse then the Goldwing. I find all the big touring bikes kind of lumpy.
The ZRX1200 is a great looking bike! That's the point... the Vision is not vision at all.
Gritboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2007, 11:06 AM   #43
testcase
Founding Member

I kinda dig it myself. I like the trunkless version of it much better. It's groovy.
testcase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2007, 11:06 AM   #44
Gritboy
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrowningBAR View Post
Well, wouldn't most cruiser styled bikes with a v-twin have an engine that looks and sounds like a Harley?
Right you are. Any big twin -- unless tuned strangely -- is going sound like "potato, potato potato."
Gritboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2007, 11:41 AM   #45
StillJustJerry
Registered Member

Default Whoops?

The first Ride - and hardly anything about the handling, performance, etc. Small sidebags, inaccurate guages, slow handling, and 30 mpg? Regardless of how it looks, if it performed it might be forgiven. Looks like a "whoops" to me!
Old 07-05-2007, 11:48 AM   #46
BrowningBAR
Snuggles

Quote:
Originally Posted by StillJustJerry View Post
The first Ride - and hardly anything about the handling, performance, etc. Small sidebags, inaccurate guages, slow handling, and 30 mpg? Regardless of how it looks, if it performed it might be forgiven. Looks like a "whoops" to me!
For 20 grand you would think accurate guages would be included...maybe the test rides were still under some tweaking.
BrowningBAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2007, 11:48 AM   #47
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrowningBAR View Post
Well, wouldn't most cruiser styled bikes with a v-twin have an engine that looks and sounds like a Harley?
No. They are made to look and sound like a Harley, because chances are the buyer really wanted a Harley and couldn't afford one, or a new Harley wasn't available. So the Japanese and others stepped up and made lots of air-cooled, pushrod, belt-driven V-twins that looked and sounded like Harleys to fill the gap between what Harley couldn't supply and the buyer couldn't afford. Notice that the other brands never boldly put their name on the tank? Think that is by accident? I wonder how many air-cooled, pushrod, belt driven v-twins would be around today if Harley went out of business in 1982? I'd say practically none.
Old 07-05-2007, 11:51 AM   #48
BrowningBAR
Snuggles

Quote:
Originally Posted by testcase View Post
I kinda dig it myself. I like the trunkless version of it much better. It's groovy.
The trunkless version does look a lot better. I think it's called the Vision Street.
BrowningBAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2007, 12:13 PM   #49
seruzawa
The Toad

Quote:
Originally Posted by longride View Post
No. They are made to look and sound like a Harley, because chances are the buyer really wanted a Harley and couldn't afford one, or a new Harley wasn't available. So the Japanese and others stepped up and made lots of air-cooled, pushrod, belt-driven V-twins that looked and sounded like Harleys to fill the gap between what Harley couldn't supply and the buyer couldn't afford. Notice that the other brands never boldly put their name on the tank? Think that is by accident? I wonder how many air-cooled, pushrod, belt driven v-twins would be around today if Harley went out of business in 1982? I'd say practically none.
Ha! Motorcyclists love to pretend that they love change but woe betide any manufacturer who tries it. Honda got burned nearly to death over their attempt to change the paradigm from I-4s to V-4s. BMW found out the hard way that the riders wouldn't tolerate the shift away from boxer twins. The Ruin fell with a big flopping splat. Notice that the BMW 1200C is no longer with us. Any manufacturer that thinks it can purposefully change the face of motorcycling is living in lalaland. The ones who did change it (Honda's SOHC CB750 for instance) weren't planning the success they had, only hoping for it.

All that most bikers will usually tolerate is incremental change. There are a few who will buy the more outlandish designs. Since Victory only sells about 7500 bikes a year then if they sell 500 of these it'll be a rousing success. And since Honda did eventually sell the Ruins I wouldn't be surprised if Polaris could manage to sell enough of these TerrorVisions (mmmm.. Medusa) to justify the production. I won't be one of them.

Heh heh. I used the word 'paradigm'.

Last edited by seruzawa : 07-05-2007 at 12:54 PM. Reason: myob
seruzawa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2007, 12:25 PM   #50
Kenneth_Moore
Registered Member

Seruzawa, I think you've just summed up human nature in regard to change on anything rather nicely. We all like to think we want change, but when it comes down to really making the choice (or spending the dollars) we get conservative.

For example, how many people who constantly ***** about Microsoft are out there loading up Linux? .0001%, I suspect.