Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle General Discussion

Old 06-29-2007, 09:13 AM   #1
mscuddy
MODERATOR X

Default Chang Jiang 750

For those of you not content with modern technology, water-cooling, electronic gizmos, and other stuff that takes away from the "true" motorcycle experience, take a look at what our friends in China have to offer.

Based on the military 1938 BMW R71, and the Russian Army's M72 copy, the Chang Jiang 750 offers up loads of style and charm, with it's 22 horse power flathead mill, and military sidecar models. These bikes have all been rebuilt with modern materials (bearings, pistons, valves, etc.) and can be imported to the United States legally as antiques.

Had I known about these bikes a couple years ago, I would have picked one up (instead of my XB9SX). The basic ones list for around $4,000.00, with door-to-door shipping thrown in for another one thousand dollars.

What say you Morons? Should we press the new owners of MO for a full test and riding impression of the Chang Jiang?

Take a look: Long River Motorworks CJ's and More-Frames Page

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 06-29-2007, 09:28 AM   #2
BrowningBAR
Snuggles

I'm a sucker for old bikes. Have you heard anything about the reliability of theses bikes? Because I'm retarded when it comes to working on the damn things.

Are they better sorted out than Royal Enfields?

I'd pick on up in a heart beat if I had any coin in my pocket. The bike would look great in my driveway! Definitely a bike where you need riding goggles!
BrowningBAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2007, 09:34 AM   #3
mscuddy
MODERATOR X

Since they're a copy of a Russian military bike, that is a copy of a WWII BMW, I'd say they're about as reliable as an anvil.
I called the guy in Colorado about the bikes, and he relayed they are built like a tank. A very slow tank (top speed on the flathead one with the low geared diff is about 55 mph).
Old 06-29-2007, 09:38 AM   #4
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by mscuddy View Post
Since they're a copy of a Russian military bike, that is a copy of a WWII BMW, I'd say they're about as reliable as an anvil.
I called the guy in Colorado about the bikes, and he relayed they are built like a tank. A very slow tank (top speed on the flathead one with the low geared diff is about 55 mph).
Sounds like I need a camo one to mount a .50 cal on for the next war. I'm in.
Old 06-29-2007, 09:41 AM   #5
BrowningBAR
Snuggles

Quote:
Originally Posted by mscuddy View Post
Right, I was reading the info on the site and that is what was kind of stated.

The 55mph thing is a bit limiting. If it was 70-75mph I wouldn't think twice about it (even 65 would be passable). But even living where I live, 55 as a top spead is somthing I could find a bit too limiting.
Old 06-29-2007, 09:42 AM   #6
BrowningBAR
Snuggles

Quote:
Originally Posted by longride View Post
Sounds like I need a camo one to mount a .50 cal on for the next war. I'm in.
I've got a belt-fed Browning1919 in .308 that will fit your needs just fine.
Old 06-29-2007, 09:48 AM   #7
mscuddy
MODERATOR X

How about one with a traversing mount MG42? Looks kinda familiar, don't it (for all you folks who once used an M60)?

Modern Firearms - Machineguns - MG-42
Old 06-29-2007, 10:31 AM   #8
Kenneth_Moore
Registered Member

Default Urine

I mean Ural. If you like that look, check out the Ural. Lots of dealers, good support, and you can even get a 3 wheel drive model for those off-road ventures!
Old 06-29-2007, 10:45 AM   #9
BrowningBAR
Snuggles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneth_Moore View Post
I mean Ural. If you like that look, check out the Ural. Lots of dealers, good support, and you can even get a 3 wheel drive model for those off-road ventures!

Are the side cares detachable? Not a huge fan of them, but I could see using them once in a while to make errands more practical.
Old 06-29-2007, 11:52 AM   #10
mscuddy
MODERATOR X

Nope, not on the ones with the sidecar drive wheel (at laest not that easy). The ones with the 2 wheel drive have reverse too.