Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle General Discussion

Old 06-29-2007, 07:45 AM   #1
Administrator
Administrator

Default Laconia 2007: Come for the Maple Syrup, Stay for the Bikers

Original Article:
Laconia 2007: Come for the Maple Syrup, Stay for the Bikers

Please discuss the Motorcycle.com article Laconia 2007: Come for the Maple Syrup, Stay for the Bikers in our Motorcycle Forums below. Use the reply button to let others know your comments or feedback on the article. Constructive criticism is always appreciated, along with your thoughts and personal opinions on the bikes and products we have tested.
Administrator is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 06-29-2007, 07:53 AM   #2
mscuddy
MODERATOR X

Hmmm, I seem to get an error message that matches the area code for Atlanta when I try to view the story. Whazup? Did the cleaning lady kick the plug out by mistake again?
Old 06-29-2007, 11:33 AM   #3
pplassm
Founding Member

Linky no worky.
pplassm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2007, 07:26 PM   #4
mugwump58
Registered Member

"They" must have fixed it...
Old 07-11-2007, 11:37 AM   #5
longriderwill
Registered Member

Default It Always Rains During Bike Week at Laconia

Quote:
Originally Posted by administrator View Post
Original Article:

Please discuss the Motorcycle.com article Laconia 2007: Come for the Maple Syrup, Stay for the Bikers in our Motorcycle Forums below. Use the reply button to let others know your comments or feedback on the article. Constructive criticism is always appreciated, along with your thoughts and personal opinions on the bikes and products we have tested.
I have been attending bike week (weekend) in Laconia off and on since 1973 and it almost always rains at some point during the week (weekend). This is just a fact of life here. At least this year was not a washout (this does happen). Many of us riding in the Northeast like to extend our riding by seasoning our bikes (and ourselves) with windshields, mudflaps, rainsuits and whatever else we can find that extends our riding season. I can usually get 10 Months of riding here in MA. I have to cut out the riding when the daytime temps drop below 30 Degrees and the flurries turn to serious snow. If you come to New England for the Laconia Rally, be prepared for some precipitation and enjoy the breaks caused by those downpours.
longriderwill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2007, 06:06 AM   #6
kpinvt
Registered Member

This is for Mr. Garson. If you want to get your son into Dartmouth, tuition free, move to the town of Wheelock, Vermont. Follow this link for the information:

Actual Virtual Vermont Internet Magazine

And this one from Wikipedia:

"History

The town is named for Eleazar Wheelock, founder of Dartmouth College in Hanover, New Hampshire. Through an esoteric and old provision of the college, any full-time resident of Wheelock who is accepted as an undergraduate at Dartmouth may attend the school free of tuition."

Wheelock, Vermont - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Quote:
Originally Posted by administrator View Post
Original Article:

Old 07-26-2007, 07:28 AM   #7
SuperBill
Founding Member

Oh by the way, they have races there, too, which, not incidentally, was the original motivating factor for the “Bike Week.”

Unfortunately, most of the people attending bike week never make it to the track in Loudon (can you say Daytona?) It got even worse after AMA pulled their sanction a few years ago, citing safety concerns related to the roadracing track cobbled out of the NASCAR oval by the corporate dogs that turned Loudon Racetrack into “New Hampshire International Speedway.” Now the “Loudon Classic,” the oldest motorcycle race in the United States, is reduced to just another weekend of club racing. Good racing, to be sure, but no big names to draw a crowd.

Want a different take on Bike Week? Pay the $65 at the speedway gate for the “VIP Weekend Pass” and camp out behind the track on what’s left of animal hill. No poseurs or $13,000 barstools there!
SuperBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2007, 07:42 AM   #8
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperBill View Post
Oh by the way, they have races there, too, which, not incidentally, was the original motivating factor for the “Bike Week.”

Unfortunately, most of the people attending bike week never make it to the track in Loudon (can you say Daytona?) It got even worse after AMA pulled their sanction a few years ago, citing safety concerns related to the roadracing track cobbled out of the NASCAR oval by the corporate dogs that turned Loudon Racetrack into “New Hampshire International Speedway.” Now the “Loudon Classic,” the oldest motorcycle race in the United States, is reduced to just another weekend of club racing. Good racing, to be sure, but no big names to draw a crowd.

Want a different take on Bike Week? Pay the $65 at the speedway gate for the “VIP Weekend Pass” and camp out behind the track on what’s left of animal hill. No poseurs or $13,000 barstools there!

Racing was the reason for all the big rallies. It was a place to race, watch racing, and party. Now it's just party, and the hell with the racing. I went to Daytona for 7 straight years and the race track is empty. I loved it. No crowds to deal with. Head down to Main Street after 8 and there are 500,000 people down there. I still go to every midwest plattrack race I can. Good racing and rabid fans. Lots of fun.