Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle General Discussion

Old 06-26-2007, 09:27 AM   #1
Administrator
Administrator

Default SORRY FELLAS, THIS MOTORCYCLE GARAGE IS FOR LADIES ONLY

Original Article:
SORRY FELLAS, THIS MOTORCYCLE GARAGE IS FOR LADIES ONLY

Please discuss the Motorcycle.com article SORRY FELLAS, THIS MOTORCYCLE GARAGE IS FOR LADIES ONLY in our Motorcycle Forums below. Use the reply button to let others know your comments or feedback on the article. Constructive criticism is always appreciated, along with your thoughts and personal opinions on the bikes and products we have tested.
Administrator is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 06-26-2007, 09:31 AM   #2
seruzawa
The Toad

They showed one of them parties on Terminator 2.

That was the AirHawk on the stage I believe.
seruzawa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2007, 09:31 AM   #3
Kenneth_Moore
Registered Member

I laughed, I cried, I stood up and applauded for: "SORRY FELLAS, THIS MOTORCYCLE GARAGE IS FOR LADIES ONLY." This is the feel-good article of the summer, and proves that family values and good clean fun still have a place in the American motorcycling scene. Three thumbs up!
Old 06-26-2007, 09:36 AM   #4
mscuddy
MODERATOR X

The only way my wife would get any attention in the garage would be to paint herself red, put a honda insignia on each butt cheek, and wear some sandals made from an old Ching Shing 450X18 knobbie.

That, or braid a nice aluminum Renthal into her hair...
Old 06-26-2007, 09:38 AM   #5
sachiwilson
Women Riders Moderator

Harley does a good job of supporting women riders, but unfortunately I see too many women try to ride Harleys (and other bikes) that are just too dang big for them. They don't think of anything except seat height, and then when they get on the road they can't turn properly because they can barely reach the bars. Regrettably, the dealers don't help their smaller buyers pick a more suitable bike in the range.

Sarnali: "what could be more useless than arguing with a deaf female lawyer????"
sachiwilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2007, 10:05 AM   #6
Kenneth_Moore
Registered Member

Horse pucky! When I worked at HD, several ladies came in and traded their Sportys for Big Twins. If they can get their feet on the ground, and reach the controls, IMO that's all it takes. Once the bike is moving, what's the difference as long as the rider is competent? There is a very petite lady who hits many of the Bike Nights around here on her Steet Glide...
Old 06-26-2007, 10:11 AM   #7
sachiwilson
Women Riders Moderator

It's not horse pucky.

Turning a bike requires countersteering. You need to be able to push the bar away from you to lean into the turn. Some women I ride with had bikes that were so long that they were already stretching to reach the bars. They were unable to push the bar far enough to initiate enough lean to make it through a turn without a lot of contortions, or without slowing way way down. It was very apparent when I followed them, to watch them push the bar three or four times trying to get the bike leaned over enough to make the turn.

It could well be that the very competent petite lady on her Street Glide has modified her bike so that it fits her better too. Harley does have a lot of options for shorter people, such as barbacks. I've helped out a lot of my friends by encouraging them to seek out such options.

Sarnali: "what could be more useless than arguing with a deaf female lawyer????"
Old 06-26-2007, 10:18 AM   #8
Kenneth_Moore
Registered Member

So, you're saying that if the bike is equipped to accomodate the size of the rider, they can use it well. I agree; maybe I should have been more specific about "reach the controls" and said "use the controls effectively." And yeah, HD has a gazzillion mods to set up the bike for almost anyone. BTW, some really dimunitive guys came in and got big bikes too. Maybe we should say: "too many people get bikes that aren't set up well for their personal ergonomic needs."
Old 06-26-2007, 10:23 AM   #9
sachiwilson
Women Riders Moderator

Yes, exactly. We agree on that.

Part of the problem, I think, is that people forget that motorcycles are not static. They come in to a shop and choose a bike based on how it feels when it is not moving. Buyers (and sellers I suspect) tend to forget that a motorcycle is a dynamic thing. Comfort, fit, function, all need to be assessed when the bike is moving, not when you are simply sitting on it in a showroom. It can be hard to make that leap from a static impression to "what will it feel like when I've been going 65 mph for the five hours"? That's what I always try to remind my friends when they are checking out bikes, and I think it helps them choose a bike that fits their needs much better.

Old 06-26-2007, 10:35 AM   #10
Kenneth_Moore
Registered Member

It can be hard to make that leap from a static impression to "what will it feel like when I've been going 65 mph for the five hours"?

That simple fact has driven the entire "Chopper/Custom" industry for years.