Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle General Discussion

Old 06-24-2007, 12:09 PM   #11
MadScientistMatt
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachiwilson View Post
You can take your seat to any seat shop -- even a marine seat shop -- and ask that shop to adjust the seat in some way. I took a look at a pic of your bike though - it doesn't look like the seat is that cramped. Why do you think you need to scootch backwards more? Because the rear is wider?
There's two reasons I tend to move around on the seat. One, I'm 6'2", and my legs get a little cramped. The saddlebags make it hard for me to move my feet to the passenger pegs.

Also, I just don't like sitting in one place for too long as the seat just gets uncomfortable. I had thought that the foam was too hard, but now I'm starting to think the real problem is it's soft enough to put my butt on the seat pan. I've been thinking about having the seat modified, and the idea about stuffing it with dual density foam sounds like a great idea.
MadScientistMatt is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 06-24-2007, 01:28 PM   #12
Kenneth_Moore
Registered Member

"What makes for the best long distance comfort?"

Putting the bike on a trailer being pulled by a Humvee H2. Much more comfy, and you can enjoy refreshing adult beverages chilled in the ice chest, as the miles just melt away!
Old 06-24-2007, 01:38 PM   #13
sachiwilson
Women Riders Moderator

Ok, Moore, this is a family forum. Language such as "putting the bike on a trailer" is foul and demeaning and I don't want to hear it any more. Now go wash your keyboard our with soap and apologize to the rabble.

Sarnali: "what could be more useless than arguing with a deaf female lawyer????"
sachiwilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2007, 02:35 PM   #14
pplassm
Founding Member

Most of my long distance riding has been, believe it or not, on dual-sport bikes. I toured all over Europe in the 90's on a Yamaha XT600. I found the riding positon perfect for just about anything.

I think the "standard" or "dirt bike" positions are best for me. Of course, YMMV.
pplassm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2007, 05:16 PM   #15
Kenneth_Moore
Registered Member

I'd like to make a formal apology for my insensitive, ill-conceived attempt at humor. Trailer jokes aren't any better than fart jokes; they just scrape the bottom of the barrel and appeal to the immature an unsophisticated. Hey, know how you tell a rich redneck from a poor redneck? The rich one has two bikes that don't run on the trailer!
Old 06-25-2007, 06:02 PM   #16
MadScientistMatt
Founding Member

Humph. A trip in a Hummer doesn't sound all that comfortable these days. My wallet hurts just thinking about it.

Pplassm, I believe it. I'm thinking of getting a KLR650 as my next bike. It would be so funny to take that on a long distance with my cruiser friend and his buddies on Harleys - seeing a sport bike with a bunch of cruisers isn't too strange, but an overgrown dirt bike heading down the highway in a group ride would definitely raise a few eyebrows. Which is why I'm even more tempted to get one.
Old 06-25-2007, 08:53 PM   #17
bigjames
Premium Member

Default Comfort

Like just about everybody else has said, what makes one comfortable is different for everybody. On my BMWs and Harleys over the years, I have actually preferred the stock seat to the high dollar replacements. Some bikes I've had had seats like the V65 back in the posts, like riding on lumber (a particular R65 comes to mind really fast), not a thing you can do but get the foam redone or get a new seat. Being locked into a single riding position is, well a pain in the arse...moving around (feet and butt) seem to make all the difference in the world to me...Keep in mind that I ride ~30K a year, so probably have a rather calloused a$$...

BigJames
bigjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2007, 06:00 PM   #18
MadScientistMatt
Founding Member

Looks like the admins are doing a message board flood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjames View Post
Like just about everybody else has said, what makes one comfortable is different for everybody. On my BMWs and Harleys over the years, I have actually preferred the stock seat to the high dollar replacements. Some bikes I've had had seats like the V65 back in the posts, like riding on lumber (a particular R65 comes to mind really fast), not a thing you can do but get the foam redone or get a new seat. Being locked into a single riding position is, well a pain in the arse...moving around (feet and butt) seem to make all the difference in the world to me...Keep in mind that I ride ~30K a year, so probably have a rather calloused a$$...

BigJames
You certainly sound like an expert in putting a lot of miles on. What sort of foam redoing do you typically have done when you need it?

That is good to hear that stock seats don't always suck...