Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   Motorcycle General Discussion (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/motorcycle-general-discussion/)
-   -   Road Test: 1946 Indian Chief (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/motorcycle-general-discussion/5190-road-test-1946-indian-chief.html)

Administrator 06-23-2007 07:56 AM

Road Test: 1946 Indian Chief

Original Article:
Road Test: 1946 Indian Chief

Please discuss the Motorcycle.com article Road Test: 1946 Indian Chief in our Motorcycle Forums below. Use the reply button to let others know your comments or feedback on the article. Constructive criticism is always appreciated, along with your thoughts and personal opinions on the bikes and products we have tested.

docrhp 01-04-2010 02:45 PM

Memories of a 46 Chief

When I was 12 yrs old, I found a 46 Indian Chief in an old chicken coop belonging to a farmer 5 miles from my boyhood home. I had $25 I earned from working for neighbor farmers for 6 months previous and the owner of the bike wanted $35. I made a deal to work off the balance and the Indian was mine!!! After considerable cleaning and tinkering, I got it to start and down the road I went. At the house, I had the advantage of a downhill start. An important advantage for a jerky little kid! The next time I needed to start moving I had to run alongside the bike and mount up after it had sufficient momentum to stay upright. It must have looked like something else,, But, I had fun and never got caught riding without a license. I now ride a 2008 XL1200C. It makes the Chief look lame in regards to performance and of course I don't have to jump both feet on the kick starter or be thrown over the handlebars from too much advance. (laughing)

Now,, memories like that are unavailable to modern youth. (poor bastards)

sarnali2 01-04-2010 04:07 PM

I rode a Chief home for this drunk guy years ago. He was a friend of my then father in law up in Blaine and wound up with too much to drink. We had rode my chopper with a hand shift up there for the weekend so the guy let me ride his bike, while my wife at the time drove him home in her moms 70' Coupe De ville. He lived about 20 or 30 miles away near Lynden so it was a pretty fun ride out there. I remember it was pretty smooth compared to my rigid frame Shovel, the floating axle and spring seat really floated along quite nicely.

A buddy of mines little brother had an engine, frame and trans he was going to build into an Indian chopper but he never did get it tied all together. I wish now I would had bought his parts because he had quite a bit of Indian stuff he'd collected.

mscuddy 01-04-2010 04:53 PM

My neighbor had one, I tried to ride it, but the shifter, throttle and clutch were on the wrong side, and I almost ate it into a garage door. Neat bike though, dig that indian face on the front fender.

seruzawa 01-04-2010 06:51 PM

My friend billy at South Torrance High had a Honda Scrambler and we'd do cow trailing on the horse paths in PV until the cops threw us out. One day he tells me there's a neat old motorcycle in his garage that belonged to his grandfather and now his Dad had it. But his Dad refused to ride it but wouldn't sell it. So we went into the garage and there in the back behind a bunch of boxes and under a canvas tarp was an Indian inline 4 cylinder of around 1930 vintage. Unless his Dad died it's probably still sitting under that tarp.

mjdart 01-07-2010 04:46 AM

Some good stories guys. I'd love to have an old Indian '46 to '53 to go along with my new '09 Chief Vintage. Looks like the older bikes can be a challenge with their manual operation of stuff we take for granted today.

I'd like an Indian 4 someday as well. Check these out.

1933 Indian Four - Video - Jay Leno's Garage

1940 Indian 4*-*Wheels Through Time