Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle General Discussion

View Poll Results: How do you like the New MO format?
I Like It 41 27.15%
I Hate It 95 62.91%
I Don't Care 10 6.62%
I Have No Opinion 5 3.31%
Voters: 151. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-18-2007, 08:43 AM   #131
kavenger
Banned

2wf.com just added forums.. Looks like it might become the new MO
kavenger is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 07-19-2007, 03:50 AM   #132
GrisoDG
Founding Member

Default Just Another Highway Billboard- SUXS

What a shame. What a waste. Was such a good site. Now just a big billboard. I hardly visit anymore and don't stay. Damn shame.
GrisoDG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2007, 08:43 AM   #133
sprchkn
Registered Member

Angry No content improvements...

Well, I can't say I'm seeing any improvements in content and the forums are as hard to use as ever. I especially like how selecting a different forum view doesn't actually do anything. It's hybrid or nothing, apparently. I guess the options are just there to make me feel like I really have a choice and that maybe, someday, that the forums will actually be able to be presented in a way that's usable. Maybe MO 2.0 just doesn't work with Firefox, fine, I'll do what I do with all the rest of the sites that don't work: stop visiting.

I'd forgotten about cycleworld.com and the format is much better. It's still annoying that it only uses a small portion of the screen, but it's much easier to live with than this. I'll be putting my MO subscription fees towards a print mag like Motorcyclist, thanks. It's a shame I can't get back a portion of my subscription fee that I paid in March; it's like MO pulled a bait-and-switch so my 11.99 for 12 months really just paid for three months.

I really liked MO 1.0 where new articles were at the top and older articles below that so I really knew if I'd missed anything or if a new article was up. I liked the thumbnails at the bottom so I could enlarge photos and the forums were easy to use and view. Oh, and it loaded fast and I never got any 404 messages, which I get every time I visit 2.0.

What do I like about 2.0? The bar at the top of the screen, the gray one with "Motorcycle.com" in it, that looks nice. Notice how simple and uncluttered it is, whoever designed that should either 1) be tasked with redesigning the rest of the site, or 2) if responsible for the rest of the site, go back and rethink the whole site's design and base it off that minimalistic-yet-sophisticated idea. I'll check back in March '08 when my subscription expires and see if anything's changed, but I'm not holding my breath. Or maybe I'll just make a script that cycles through all the pictures and reloads them continuously throughout the day; yes, I'm a little bitter.
sprchkn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2007, 09:08 AM   #134
SuperBill
Founding Member

Default It's the Forum, Stupid!

The new forum format is very un-handy for all the reasons described by others.

Seems to me that the web experts that put together the slick new website could figure out a way for me to sign on and find a list of all forum posts in chronological order - just like we had in the good old days. That would take a whole buncha' suck out of the site.

Another desuckification opportunity exists within the forums. How 'bout an option to display a nested thread without all the little pictures, graphics, and other redundant and unnecessary stuff. Anybody that likes that stuff could still get it, but those of us that are more interested in content than fluff would be able to get to the friggin' point!

Thanks for asking!

Bill
SuperBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2007, 09:31 AM   #135
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperBill View Post
The new forum format is very un-handy for all the reasons described by others.

Seems to me that the web experts that put together the slick new website could figure out a way for me to sign on and find a list of all forum posts in chronological order - just like we had in the good old days. That would take a whole buncha' suck out of the site.

Another desuckification opportunity exists within the forums. How 'bout an option to display a nested thread without all the little pictures, graphics, and other redundant and unnecessary stuff. Anybody that likes that stuff could still get it, but those of us that are more interested in content than fluff would be able to get to the friggin' point!

Thanks for asking!

Bill

You can do those things Bill. Go to the 'User CP' link and shut off all the avitars and graphics. As for seeing the new posts, just click 'Mark Forums Read' and then click the 'New Posts' when you return. You will see all the posts since you last read the forum. There are lots of features and customizations you can do here. Check it out and experiment a little and I think you will like this version a whole lot better.
Old 07-19-2007, 11:51 AM   #136
Thig
Founding Member

Man I agree, I used to hit this site all the time and now I hate it. I only come here out of habit. I was a paying member for years and I never complained about the old site. Go ahead MO. Admit it was a mistake and give us back the old site and we will forgive you.

Thig
Thig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2007, 09:48 AM   #137
SuperBill
Founding Member

Thanks, Longride.

I took your advice and went to the control panel to make some changes. It doesn't suck so bad now, but I still have to put up with a lot of useless info on the left margin of each post. Also, the "nested" feature of the old site allowed one to instantly determine who was responding to whom. Now I have to scroll to the top of my "hybrid" page to glean that info.

Anyway, I'm sure this format conforms with the current leading edge design concepts for this type of web service, and I'm sure that the new owners don't give a tinker's damn what a buncha' Luddites like us "Premium Founding Members" think.

WE are the problem, because we don't use the technology that's handed to us. WE are the problem because we are motorcyclists that happen to use the internet rather than internet geeks with a passing interest in motorcycles.

Sigh..... I HATE turning into an old codger.............
SuperBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2007, 03:55 PM   #138
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

Quote:
Thanks, Longride.

I took your advice and went to the control panel to make some changes. It doesn't suck so bad now, but I still have to put up with a lot of useless info on the left margin of each post. Also, the "nested" feature of the old site allowed one to instantly determine who was responding to whom. Now I have to scroll to the top of my "hybrid" page to glean that info.

Anyway, I'm sure this format conforms with the current leading edge design concepts for this type of web service, and I'm sure that the new owners don't give a tinker's damn what a buncha' Luddites like us "Premium Founding Members" think.

WE are the problem, because we don't use the technology that's handed to us. WE are the problem because we are motorcyclists that happen to use the internet rather than internet geeks with a passing interest in motorcycles.

Sigh..... I HATE turning into an old codger.............

It's a little tougher to get around this place, but I think the move forward was necessary. I'm sure there will be some changes coming that will make it even better, but using the tools available will help alot. Hang in there while we get to MO 2.1.
Old 07-22-2007, 05:13 AM   #139
Burgbilly1
Registered Member

Default Fading Fast

I used to love this site. I started visiting when Burns got fired or quit, (I never did figure that out) from Motorcyclist and came over to subsidize Sexual Chocolate and the Jagrolet. I was never a big contributer to the forums but I did read them. It was kind of like listening to the table next to you at the bar. I became a subscriber when they went subscription only. Now it really doesn't feel like there's any advantage to subscribing. It seems like the ad content has doubled. The content is buried beneath ads. The worst is the forums which have become hard to follow. That said the available content is shrinking. New articles have slowed to a trickle. I also will probably not subscribe again simply because it offers no advantage. Non-payers have access to everything including forums so why bother. That said Burnsie where are you? I need another Angry Little Man coulumn.
Burgbilly1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2007, 11:42 AM   #140
gas_pig
Founding Member

Quote:
Hey, some of us are motorcyclists AND an internet geek. I have no problem using the MO 2.0, but that doesn't mean I like it by any means.