Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   Motorcycle General Discussion (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/motorcycle-general-discussion/)
-   -   How to Replace Fork Seals (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/motorcycle-general-discussion/4716-how-replace-fork-seals.html)

Administrator 06-19-2007 08:03 AM

How to Replace Fork Seals

Original Article:
How to Replace Fork Seals

Please discuss the Motorcycle.com article How to Replace Fork Seals in our Motorcycle Forums below. Use the reply button to let others know your comments or feedback on the article. Constructive criticism is always appreciated, along with your thoughts and personal opinions on the bikes and products we have tested.

crosbymudray 05-05-2008 06:42 PM

i cant ge tthe fork tube and slider apart do you have to take out the allen bolt on the bottom of a 1987 yz250 the manual does not say any thing about it

The_AirHawk 05-05-2008 07:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by crosbymudray (Post 184101)
i cant ge tthe fork tube and slider apart do you have to take out the allen bolt on the bottom of a 1987 yz250 the manual does not say any thing about it

Yes, the bolt attaches to the damper-rod, which is "captured" in the fork-upper, under the spring.

If it spins and won't come out - either reassemble the fork with the spring and try that, or jam a wooden dowel or broomstick inside the upper into the back of the damper-rod to keep it from spinning.

Don't lose any washers or spacers, and pay close-attention to how and where the spacers go in, and how the topout-spring goes in as well - it maymatter if it goes-in one way or another, or it may not. Some are tapered slightly. Depends on the fork.

pushrod 05-06-2008 06:12 AM

Easiest way to do any of the damper tube-style forks is with an air impact wrench. It'll spin the bolt out, and it'll also spin it back on without the necessity of "jamming" the tube from the other end.

As soon as the bolt grabs (tightens), come off it with the air wrench, and torque it by hand.

bbtowns 05-06-2008 10:22 AM

A trick I've found is to use an old fashioned seal puller to get the seal out and skip the fork disassembly. I've used this method on my Concours and V-Strom without problem. Make sure to get the seal wiper out first though or you'll wreck it. Probably ought to replace it anyway though.

The_AirHawk 05-06-2008 10:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bbtowns (Post 184194)
A trick I've found is to use an old fashioned seal puller to get the seal out and skip the fork disassembly. I've used this method on my Concours and V-Strom without problem. Make sure to get the seal wiper out first though or you'll wreck it. Probably ought to replace it anyway though.

Most OEM seal-kits come with both seals and both new wipers.

AVOID LIKE THE PLAGUE THE "LEAKPROOF"-BRAND SEAL KITS!

This is not an Option, crosbymudray! Just say "No" to aftermarket crap here; you're wasting your money otherwise.

longride 05-06-2008 10:38 AM

My good buddy Buzglyd has a better trick than yours. He brings the bike into the dealer and then has a few beers and comes back when it is done. Now THAT is a trick!

mscuddy 05-06-2008 01:14 PM

Remember when people would make their own damper rod holders? Made mine from a curtain rod, beat flat on one end (Yamaha forks).

Oh yes, you have to take the allen bolt out. A giant scredriver-like instrument works for jamming up KYB damper rods. That or a broomstick. Whittle it down some on the business end.

sachiwilson 05-06-2008 01:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by longride (Post 184200)
My good buddy Buzglyd has a better trick than yours. He brings the bike into the dealer and then has a few beers and comes back when it is done. Now THAT is a trick!

Ah yes, credit-card wrenching. No question, that's the best and most genteel way of maintaining a bike! :)

The_AirHawk 05-06-2008 02:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mscuddy (Post 184232)
Oh yes, you have to take the allen bolt out. A giant scredriver-like instrument works for jamming up KYB damper rods. That or a broomstick. Whittle it down some on the business end.

I thought broomsticks were only useful as a shotgun-prop for scaring-away mean, ugly, Harley-ridin' Bikers about to anal-rape you and your entire family...........

(You guys hear that? Sounded-like a scream of anguish. )

(Good thing I speak softly, yet carry a Big Boom-Stick.)