Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle General Discussion

Old 06-20-2007, 08:08 AM   #161
Kevin_Duke
Motorcycle.com Staff

jandj_davis said:
Quote:
I really hope you plan on putting in a "new content" section or something. There is no way I could keep track of all the different sectors of this new layout unless there is a "new since last time you logged in" or "new since yesterday" or, hell, even dates on article titles.
Good point. The best way to see what's been recently posted is to go to the "Latest News Box."

Keep in mind, everyone, that the new design, while a big step forward, is still ripe for tweaking to make it even better.

As for the manufacturer list, I'm surprised you astute readers didn't notice they are listed in order of market share. Might it be easier to navigate if they are listed alphabetically? Perhaps, and that's something we'll evaluate as we move forward.

Finally, thanks to all of you who mention that you like what we're doing. Stay tuned, cuz it's gonna get even better!
Kevin_Duke is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 06-20-2007, 08:10 AM   #162
MotorJoe
Founding Member

Great work Mofos! Congratulations on MO 2.0. I love it and will expend some time around.
MotorJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2007, 08:12 AM   #163
sachiwilson
Women Riders Moderator

Ok, I've had a chance to look around a bit. There's a lot of information. That's good. The forums work well. That's superb. I can ignore the Forum Pest. I'm just delighted! That's worth a buck a month.

On the other hand, I agree with those posters who believe there is too much on the page, particularly the home page. Actually, looking at the page in some detail, I suspect it is not the amount of information so much, but the way it's presented. Look at the sizes of the boxes -- several of the boxes in the middle of the page are different. This stylistic gaffe is compounded by putting the buyer's guide, which stylistically matches the manufacturer list and the shoot-outs list, on the opposite side of the page.

Also, the use of colors is highly distracting and confusing. I suspect that you wanted to use different colors to make different things stand out, but with so many different elements on one page, that does not work. All it does is lead to visual clutter that makes it hard to see and tires you out when you try to find what you need.

You can clean up a LOT of the clutter by simply removing duplication. For example, you have the same string of links (shoot-outs, reviews, products, how-to, events, and forums) at both top and bottom. Also, you list shoot-outs not only there but in a box in the middle AND another box along the side! Geeze, people, we get it! You have shoot-outs! Give us ONE link and make it worth our while.

Finally, ditch the Vote for MO Babe crap. Grow up or lose the 1/3 of the riding population that happens to be female.

Sarnali: "what could be more useless than arguing with a deaf female lawyer????"
sachiwilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2007, 08:15 AM   #164
schizuki
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin_Duke View Post
Stay tuned, cuz it's gonna get even better!
That's good news. Drop me an e-mail or make a big announcement on the home page when the forums become usable without incurring carpal tunnel syndrome, and I'll be back.

Until then, I've got to move MO News from the "Relief from Life's Little Goddamn Aggravations" list to the "Another One of Life's Goddamn Little Aggravations" list.
schizuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2007, 08:17 AM   #165
pushrod
Founding Member

mscuddy,

How's things? Last report, you were being thrown out of the hospital for trying to show the nurses what Father's Day was really all about.

I was just up on the Kitsap Peninsula, and had to go by and see the old girl (CV-62) in Bremerton.

Man, that was a mistake! She looked terrible. It was three pints of Porter before I felt even passably positive again.

This thread thing is messing me up. Linear is easier to read, but Threaded is more direct. Hmmmm.
pushrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2007, 08:25 AM   #166
schizuki
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachiwilson View Post
Finally, ditch the Vote for MO Babe crap. Grow up or lose the 1/3 of the riding population that happens to be female.
Actually, it's 1/10th. And of that, I'm sure even less are inclined to hang out on Internet forums. If 1/20th of MO users are female, I'd be surprised. And if they want to scold the boys about looking at pretty girls ... well, they've got husbands, boyfriends, sons, bosses and co-workers to hector. They don't need to do it here, too.

That said, I suspect the feature will die a natural death from lack of interest.
Old 06-20-2007, 08:28 AM   #167
fyodordos
Founding Member

Yeehaaa! Thanks for the best moto experience this side of riding.

Just in time to re-re-review every bike in my top 20 before the next purchase.

MO rules.
fyodordos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2007, 08:52 AM   #168
zenjim
Registered Member

Thumbs down

It took me a while to figure out that "User CP" in "Forums" was the profile modifier. IMHO you should have "Profile" on the main heading right next to "Shoot-outs", "Reviews", "Products", etc. The reason being that User CP effects how you experience this sight beyond just the Forum area. Even when you get to Forums "User CP" is not exactly user-friendly to the I-can't-change-my-oil-without-scraping-my-knuckles crowd (of which I am a life long member). User Cycle Power? User Cam Pulleys? User Costco Pride? User C*ck Protection? User Cylinder Performance?
You see where I'm going with this...
Old 06-20-2007, 08:56 AM   #169
schizuki
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by longride View Post
Schizuk, just go to display modes and click to show the threaded mode. Then you can see who replied to you.
OK, tried that. I'm still only getting one comment on the page, and the box o'threads is still just showing the titles, not the whole comment. What I'm aiming for is to have all comments shown, in their entirety, nested, so I don't have to click on anything - just scroll down the page as I read. What am I doing wrong?

Quote:
Originally Posted by longride View Post
C,mon, this stuff is a lot like electronic ignitions, disk brakes, and fuel injection. We gotta take you kicking and screaming into the 21st century.
Well, right now it's more like a new bike that cuts out the ignition every time it's stopped for more than three seconds, so you have to re-start it at every red light. So please, tell me how to bypass that 21st-century feature.
Old 06-20-2007, 08:59 AM   #170
schizuki
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheesebeast View Post
Try:
Hit User CP button.

You will see the Control Panel on the left hand side.

Hit Edit Options.

Scroll down to Thread Display Options.

Change Thread Display Mode to "Threaded"

Scroll down to bottom and hit "Save Changes"
Did that already. Still not nested in full (see my reply to longride).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheesebeast View Post
It still takes a good bit of getting used to.
So does cerebral palsy. That doesn't make it right.