Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle General Discussion

Old 02-24-2015, 08:16 AM   #1
spawn350
Founding Member

Default DFW - torn on 2 totally different motorcycles - ADV and Naked

Hello All - I sold my bike (VFR1200) when I moved to TX a couple years ago from Bay Area CA. I got the itch again, and I am looking at either an ADV bike (Triumph Tiger 800XC) or a Naked (Ducati Streetfighter 84.

I have never had a real adventure bike before, but the idea sounds like a lot of fun. I had a Tuono and a FZ1 and loved those bikes. I'd only get the ADV bike to actually ride rough or dirt roads or even light trails.I love the idea of it, but before pulling the trigger I want to hear from others on whether they actually use their ADV bikes for the intended purposes.

Questions:

1. How much do folks with ADV bikes actually take them on dirt or rough roads when coming from street bikes? Any folks wish they hadn't gotten an ADV because they never use them for the intended purpose?

2. Are there any roads worth exploring within an hour of Dallas? I'm not willing to ride 3 hours just to finally get to where I want to ride. I have been searching all over with mixed findings.

3. Can I do most of what I am talking about on the Streetfighter anyway with relative ease?

Thanks in advance!
spawn350 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 02-25-2015, 06:50 AM   #2
Easy Rider 2
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spawn350 View Post
2. Are there any roads worth exploring within an hour of Dallas?
Given your stated intentions and requirements, THIS is the critical question......with the addition of the word "legal".

Alas this site, which once was a thriving source for all kinds of bike information, was killed off by a group of "hooligans" and has never recovered. There are almost no users here now, as judged by the complete absence of new posts.

I think your best source of information would be local riding groups and clubs. Have you asked around at local bike dealers and independent shops ??
Old 03-07-2015, 05:34 AM   #3
motobriiz
Premium Member

I am also thinking of an adventure style bike (Tiger 800, FJ-09, Vstrom) for my next bike, but mainly for comfort (legroom) and more luggage options. I don't really have too many off road trails to ride nearby.

I have never ridden a streetfighter, but my current bike is a Honda 919 (aka) Hornet, which is similar in riding position and general style. If you are just riding not too far from home and riding the twisties, I would go for the streetfighter. More fun but less comfort.

Good luck with your decision!
motobriiz is offline   Reply With Quote