Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   Motorcycle General Discussion (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/motorcycle-general-discussion/)
-   -   2013 BMW R1200GS Review - Second Ride (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/motorcycle-general-discussion/21031-2013-bmw-r1200gs-review-second-ride.html)

Administrator 06-03-2013 03:11 PM

2013 BMW R1200GS Review - Second Ride

Original Article:
2013 BMW R1200GS Review - Second Ride

Please discuss the Motorcycle.com article 2013 BMW R1200GS Review - Second Ride in our Motorcycle Forums below. Use the reply button to let others know your comments or feedback on the article. Constructive criticism is always appreciated, along with your thoughts and personal opinions on the bikes and products we have tested.

seruzawa 06-03-2013 05:54 PM

Good to see BMW giving in to reality and giving the motor a power curve that is much better for the street than the dirt.

Kevin_Duke 06-03-2013 06:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by seruzawa (Post 281968)
Good to see BMW giving in to reality and giving the motor a power curve that is much better for the street than the dirt.

The beauty of the new motor is that its power curve is still suited for the dirt while being better on the road.

jmdonald 06-04-2013 06:32 AM

Include the bags

At 20k they should include the bags. The Multistrada S touring does at that price point.

Duken4evr 06-04-2013 06:48 AM

The dyno chart is an eye opener. The new engine is just plain better in every respect, with no weaknesses in the curve and very respectable overall power output. The electronics options are equally exciting.

As a die hard lifetime dirt bike rider/nut, I am pretty sure I would love one of these things. Perhaps my 2 girls will run off and marry rich Sugar Daddies right out of high school, with no prenuptial agreements allowed. Then their Daddy can use the college fund to buy a new BMW GS, with saddlebags. The meager college fund may not go far in the ridiculous world of higher education, but it can easily buy one of these. Seems like a better use of the money to me ;)

The Spaceman 06-04-2013 10:49 AM

There was a time when the idea of water-cooling the BMW Boxer engine was absolute heresy. BMW-ites would have stormed the dealerships with torches and farm implements, and smashed every radiator in sight. Today it passes with hardly a murmur. Instead the hubub is about the performance and other secular topics.

Why is that? Has BMW grown to the point that their customer base doesn't identify with the design ethos of previous generations? Or are they simply not represented in the popular press...left to stew in their anger and disillusionment on obsure Air and Oil-Head websites....

Of course this begs the question: how long can Hardly a Davidson dam up the water and antifreeze from their engine? My 1200cc Shovelhead ran hot as hell in the summer; the big displacements they're building today must be a ***** to keep cool. Come to think of it; my HD pal had to buy a heatshield to put between his scrotial region and the aft cylinder head. I think the EMS even turned off the rear cylinder at idle, just to keep from roasting his nuts.

A "precision cooled" Harley big-twin should be a historic milestone in motorcycling. I wonder if that will go as unnoticed as did this.

jmdonald 06-04-2013 11:25 AM

Function to performance

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Spaceman (Post 281990)
There was a time when the idea of water-cooling the BMW Boxer engine was absolute heresy. BMW-ites would have stormed the dealerships with torches and farm implements, and smashed every radiator in sight. Today it passes with hardly a murmur. Instead the hubub is about the performance and other secular topics.

Why is that? Has BMW grown to the point that their customer base doesn't identify with the design ethos of previous generations? Or are they simply not represented in the popular press...left to stew in their anger and disillusionment on obsure Air and Oil-Head websites....

Of course this begs the question: how long can Hardly a Davidson dam up the water and antifreeze from their engine? My 1200cc Shovelhead ran hot as hell in the summer; the big displacements they're building today must be a ***** to keep cool. Come to think of it; my HD pal had to buy a heatshield to put between his scrotial region and the aft cylinder head. I think the EMS even turned off the rear cylinder at idle, just to keep from roasting his nuts.

A "precision cooled" Harley big-twin should be a historic milestone in motorcycling. I wonder if that will go as unnoticed as did this.

I think the new engine is a natural progression. To increase performance, meet emission standards and still maintain a lower weight this was the only avenue of recourse for the boxer configuration. The nostalgic can always buy an old machine. I can't wait for this engine to become available on the other R bikes.

Buzglyd 06-04-2013 11:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Spaceman (Post 281990)

What cooling your ride these days Johnny Modern?

The Spaceman 06-04-2013 12:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buzglyd (Post 281992)
What cooling your ride these days Johnny Modern?

It's very confusing. It has "fins" like a fish, but there's a radiator thingy too, but it doesn't have a fan! Maybe there's a little refridgerator inside, maybe there's massive thermocouples dumping heat into another dimension. I just don't know.

Just to clear the depths of fog that cloud your understanding: my comments were not "against" air cooling; it's fine for many applications. I was just pointing out that air-cooling is a "religious" topic with HD riders, and used to be with BMW riders. And as HD engines grow in size and output, it's obvious HD is finding harder and harder to keep the engines cool.

Kevin_Duke 06-04-2013 01:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jmdonald (Post 281991)
I think the new engine is a natural progression. To increase performance, meet emission standards and still maintain a lower weight this was the only avenue of recourse for the boxer configuration. The nostalgic can always buy an old machine. I can't wait for this engine to become available on the other R bikes.

New RT coming this fall...