Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle General Discussion

Old 05-28-2013, 01:45 PM   #1
Administrator
Administrator

Default Dunlop Q3 Tire Review

Original Article:
Dunlop Q3 Tire Review

Please discuss the Motorcycle.com article Dunlop Q3 Tire Review in our Motorcycle Forums below. Use the reply button to let others know your comments or feedback on the article. Constructive criticism is always appreciated, along with your thoughts and personal opinions on the bikes and products we have tested.
Administrator is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 05-31-2013, 07:35 AM   #2
YellowDuck
Founding Member

Well, this is great news. I just switched to Q2s this year (track riding only), and love them. Not sure how they are going to wear, but they performed faultlessly for me on the first outing. If the Q3s are even better yet then Dunlop wil have regained a customer.

I stopped buying Dunlops back in 2002 or so after my Ducati Supersport ate through the stock D207s in no time (2500 miles!) and then another set just as quickly (street riding). After exploring Michelins for a bit I eventually became a die-hard Metzeler guy (M2s and M3s). Once I started track riding the Pirelli Superbike Pro slicks became my tire, but I think I like the Q2s better (again, waiting to see how they wear - but if I get 6 track days at slower intermediate pace with no warmers I will be very pleased).

Great article.
YellowDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 09:57 AM   #3
Kevin_Duke
Motorcycle.com Staff

Wow, great to see another post by YD! Lots of good rubber out there these days. The tricky part is figuring out the ideal balance of grip and durability for individual preferences.
Old 06-03-2013, 04:12 PM   #4
proheli
Registered Member

Default Great review. Thanks.

Also though you say the Q3's competition is the Rosso II? I always thought the Q2 went against DRC. With slightly better turn in but a little less overall grip, so you could save a little money on a comparable tire. But now this effectively says the Q3 is not even in the same performance catagory as the DRC. I was all excited to get these tires until I read that.
proheli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 06:39 PM   #5
Trizzle
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by proheli View Post
Also though you say the Q3's competition is the Rosso II? I always thought the Q2 went against DRC. With slightly better turn in but a little less overall grip, so you could save a little money on a comparable tire. But now this effectively says the Q3 is not even in the same performance catagory as the DRC. I was all excited to get these tires until I read that.
I'm not entirely sure what your question, but I'm guessing you're asking about the Q3's performance compared to the Pirelli Rosso II and Diablo Rosso Corsa. All three are good tires, but without knowing what your intentions are, it's difficult to assess which tire is right for you. However, if you're looking for a tire to use during trackdays and not compromise much on the street, the Q3 is hard to beat.
Trizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 02:35 PM   #6
FRE
Founding Member

Default Q3 tire warmup

According to the article, one of the advantages of the Q3 tire is that it warms up quickly. That requires some analysis.

Why does it warm up quickly? Is it because it generates more heat? If so, that implies that there is more friction within the tire which would take power to overcome thereby reducing performance. It would also cause the tire to run hotter which would probably reduce tire life.

Could we have more information on just why the Q3 tire warms up quickly and what side effects that may have?
FRE is offline   Reply With Quote