Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle General Discussion

Old 06-01-2013, 08:16 AM   #41
Duken4evr
Founding Member

Went to the Honda Dealer and sat on the naked model. It fits my short (5-3) friend perfectly. I am 6' tall, the tank cutouts did not fit my legs. I would have to ride it with knees in the breeze. The CTX is definitely an economy/functional minded bike.

Checking out the details, I noticed the exhaust ports both immediately go into one pipe, and the CAT is inches away from the head. A tuned exhaust it is not. Clean running it is though, I am sure. The Fit car engine this bike's top end is apparently based on has easy to service rocker arms with screw and locknut valve adjusters, I believe the CTX, which is a SOHC design, is the same. The CTX engine is undersquare, with a 80.0mm stroke and a 73.0mm bore. Sitting on it in the showroom, the bike's center of gravity felt low, and the bike felt very manageable. The red paint and black frame is very attractive.

The CTX may not be the most exciting bike for horsepower addled jaded pilots like me, but I think Honda is brilliant for building it, particularly the DCT model. A lot of people have never driven a manual trans, and that is a big deterrent to getting into motorcycles. Excessive height and weight are deterrents too. The CTX nukes all those concerns in a value oriented package.

I figure a CTX or something like it will be my final grocery getter geezer ride. Bless the CTX, it will keep me off a scooter! Got at least another 20 plus years to go before I get there though...
Duken4evr is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 06-01-2013, 11:08 AM   #42
sarnali2
Aging Cafe` Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duken4evr View Post
I figure a CTX or something like it will be my final grocery getter geezer ride. Bless the CTX, it will keep me off a scooter! Got at least another 20 plus years to go before I get there though...
I figure on a Bonnie for my "last bike", I started out on Triumph in '68 I'd like to finish on them in another 20 years or so..

I think Honda should have went the extra yard and went to hydraulic valve adjusters on this model or else stretched the adjustment interval way out. If the target market for this bike is noobs and commuters then telling them they need to cough up a hundred bucks or so every 8k on top of oil changes every 5 k is going to dampen their enthusiasum. This bike needs to be as user friendly and maintainance free as possible to hit the bullseye

"He said he's farting because of his medication"...
sarnali2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 01:53 PM   #43
Duken4evr
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarnali2 View Post
I figure on a Bonnie for my "last bike", I started out on Triumph in '68 I'd like to finish on them in another 20 years or so..

I think Honda should have went the extra yard and went to hydraulic valve adjusters on this model or else stretched the adjustment interval way out. If the target market for this bike is noobs and commuters then telling them they need to cough up a hundred bucks or so every 8k on top of oil changes every 5 k is going to dampen their enthusiasum. This bike needs to be as user friendly and maintainance free as possible to hit the bullseye
Sounds like an excellent bike plan. Might as well end where you started!

The Fit car seemingly has the same top end and valve train. In that application, the adjustment interval is not specified from what I could find, but diligent owners check them every 30 to 50K miles. Would be nice if they were self adjusting, but not a big deal. Setting the valves on a CTX would make me feel all manly and useful in my geezer years, without actually being too taxing

Honda will probably specify something like an 8K mile inspection interval as a revenue generator for it's dealers, but the reality is this bike is a low revver with a valve train out of car. It will probably never need attention.

Last edited by Duken4evr : 06-01-2013 at 01:57 PM.
Duken4evr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 06:02 PM   #44
bechtoea
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duken4evr View Post
Sounds like an excellent bike plan. Might as well end where you started!

The Fit car seemingly has the same top end and valve train. In that application, the adjustment interval is not specified from what I could find, but diligent owners check them every 30 to 50K miles. Would be nice if they were self adjusting, but not a big deal. Setting the valves on a CTX would make me feel all manly and useful in my geezer years, without actually being too taxing

Honda will probably specify something like an 8K mile inspection interval as a revenue generator for it's dealers, but the reality is this bike is a low revver with a valve train out of car. It will probably never need attention.
I can't tell you how often I would check those valves, but for a Honda Fit design valve train, I doubt I'd check it at 8,000 miles. That's crazy.
bechtoea is offline   Reply With Quote