Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle General Discussion

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 05-11-2013, 06:07 PM   #31
kspike
Founding Member
 
kspike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Seattle
Posts: 23
Default

My wife dropped out of the MSF class after a day cause she couldn't handle shifting. Even though she had VW Bug with a stick when she was younger :} So I can see the appeal for women and guys with low testosterone I can see the appeal of the touring bike. An automatic with ABS and bags would be a good commuter in rainy Seattle traffic. I always loved and bought sticks but after you get married have girls you get automatics. Automatics are easier to drive in heavy traffic. But now I pay for a pass that lets me go 75 in the HOV lane on 167 so I don't commute by bike anymore. It's all good the free market will be the judge.
__________________
Once you ride a motorcycle all cars are boring.
kspike is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 05-12-2013, 01:18 AM   #32
Kevin_Duke
Motorcycle.com Staff

 
Kevin_Duke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 2,087
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Spaceman View Post
If that's true, why did every other automatic bike introduced to the market fall flat on its headlight? I can think of several off the top of my head, and I'm sure a little research would turn up even more.
None of those bikes you're thinking of had a true automated manual trans. (The DCT in the VFR1200 doesn't count, as that bike appeals to experienced riders more than noobs.) CVTs and torque converters remove the fear of clutching away from a stop, but their flaccid responses remove the immediacy of a directly linked gearbox. Aprilia's Mana might've come closest to success if anyone in America who's not a race fan knew about it. Or, for experienced riders, its CVT wasn't so repulse. Honda's NC700 has sold well. I expect the CTX to be a good seller at its price and with Honda's reputation and reach.
__________________
"The trouble with the world is that the Stupid are c0cksure and the Intelligent are full of doubt." -Bertrand Russell
Kevin_Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 01:41 PM   #33
Duken4evr
Founding Member
 
Duken4evr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Parker, CO
Posts: 722
Default

I think the touring variant will be a big winner. Excellent bang for the buck, fuel economy and utility all in one package. I am looking forward to my friend buying one. Will definitely take a spin on it and give a ride report.

Modern bikes are very durable mechanically, but with a redline of 6,500 and easy going low end power character, Honda build quality, the engine in this thing should last forever. Would be nice if it had belt drive though. That seems to fit the low maintenance easy going character of the bike best.

Funny thing about these. With 50 some odd hp and low end focused power that quits around 6,000 rpm, they are probably neck and neck with most Harleys in outright performance, and yet the bike is perceived as "bland". Perhaps we just need to reframe a bit. This is a bike to just ride around and cruise on, like a Harley. It is fast enough for it's intended use.

Last edited by Duken4evr : 05-12-2013 at 01:46 PM.
Duken4evr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 07:15 AM   #34
bechtoea
Founding Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Troy, OH
Posts: 9
Default

I ride over 15,000 miles a year but I don't do bike night, I don't "ride the dragon" and I don't have a Harley, crotch rocket, or Gold Wing. I have toured on a 150cc scooter. My current ride is a 750cc UJM with a windshield and box. I've had a 600cc sportbike in the past but my 45 year old body hated it and even though it was fast, it was also uncomfortable and rode like a buckboard.

For those that consider themselves bikers or "motorcyclists" the CTX700 is a joke. But see, I ride the wheels off of motorcycles and scooters but never considered myself a "motorcyclist" just like driving a car never made me a "race driver." For me, the CTX is a sweet machine. My only complaint is for the core market the chain should be a shaft and the valve adjustment interval should be punched out a bit. Good grief, the Honda Fit that the engine is based on doesn't need the valves checked for 100,000 miles so every 8000 miles is a joke. But yeah, nice machine.

ONE MORE THING: The vast majority of people that I know who own and drive a stick shift have not a clue what the hell they are doing. Am I right in assuming the same use or misuse of the clutch and shifter occurs on a motorcycle?

Last edited by bechtoea : 05-20-2013 at 07:21 AM.
bechtoea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 07:41 AM   #35
seruzawa
The Toad

 
seruzawa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: 8501 ft.
Posts: 17,463
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bechtoea View Post
I ride over 15,000 miles a year but I don't do bike night, I don't "ride the dragon" and I don't have a Harley, crotch rocket, or Gold Wing. I have toured on a 150cc scooter. My current ride is a 750cc UJM with a windshield and box. I've had a 600cc sportbike in the past but my 45 year old body hated it and even though it was fast, it was also uncomfortable and rode like a buckboard.

For those that consider themselves bikers or "motorcyclists" the CTX700 is a joke. But see, I ride the wheels off of motorcycles and scooters but never considered myself a "motorcyclist" just like driving a car never made me a "race driver." For me, the CTX is a sweet machine. My only complaint is for the core market the chain should be a shaft and the valve adjustment interval should be punched out a bit. Good grief, the Honda Fit that the engine is based on doesn't need the valves checked for 100,000 miles so every 8000 miles is a joke. But yeah, nice machine.

ONE MORE THING: The vast majority of people that I know who own and drive a stick shift have not a clue what the hell they are doing. Am I right in assuming the same use or misuse of the clutch and shifter occurs on a motorcycle?
Lessee. You ride what you like and don't give a crap what anyone else thinks. I guess you are a motorcyclist after all.
__________________
"Make no mistake, Communism lost a big argument - one we know today as the 20th century."
seruzawa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 07:00 AM   #36
trenttheuncatchable
Founding Member
 
trenttheuncatchable's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 901
Default

To bechtoea.

I've altered every motorcycle I've owned to some degree. And I've loved every bike I've owned, after altering it. For example, the oem seat on my Z750S was unbearable after just a few minutes, but an aftermarket seat fixed that problem. So if I had that 600cc sportbike you're talking about, I would have done something similar.

You know a lot of people who own and drive a stick shift? And they don't know what they're doing? That's a surprise to me. I don't know too many people nowadays who drive stick, but those that do, know how and love it. I wouldn't assume the misuse of the clutch and shifter on motorcycles either. But maybe that's just me.

And what seruzawa said.
__________________
Near the sea,
we forget
to count
the days ...
trenttheuncatchable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 06:33 AM   #37
bechtoea
Founding Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Troy, OH
Posts: 9
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by trenttheuncatchable View Post
To bechtoea.

I've altered every motorcycle I've owned to some degree. And I've loved every bike I've owned, after altering it. For example, the oem seat on my Z750S was unbearable after just a few minutes, but an aftermarket seat fixed that problem. So if I had that 600cc sportbike you're talking about, I would have done something similar.
***START HIJACK***

The bike in question is a 2006 599, bought new in 2006. I commuted on it and did relatively short rides (under 300 miles) for many years. Aftermarket seats and racks were extremely expensive (Corbin and Sgt don't make one) for that bike and I am, admittedly, a tightwad PLUS I had another bike in the stable for long distance touring so outfitting it for touring wasn't a priority. However, the touring rig grenaded the engine a few years ago. With that, I recently, after 26K miles, I sold the 599 and bought a lightly used yet older Nighthawk 750, outfitted it for light touring and commuting, and still put some money in my pocket. The Nighthawk doesn't handle or brake as well as the 599 and doesn't have the 9000-13,000RPM rush but beyond that is better for my purposes in every other way.

***STOP HIJACK***
bechtoea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 06:40 AM   #38
seruzawa
The Toad

 
seruzawa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: 8501 ft.
Posts: 17,463
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bechtoea View Post
***START HIJACK***

The bike in question is a 2006 599, bought new in 2006. I commuted on it and did relatively short rides (under 300 miles) for many years. Aftermarket seats and racks were extremely expensive (Corbin and Sgt don't make one) for that bike and I am, admittedly, a tightwad PLUS I had another bike in the stable for long distance touring so outfitting it for touring wasn't a priority. However, the touring rig grenaded the engine a few years ago. With that, I recently, after 26K miles, I sold the 599 and bought a lightly used yet older Nighthawk 750, outfitted it for light touring and commuting, and still put some money in my pocket. The Nighthawk doesn't handle or brake as well as the 599 and doesn't have the 9000-13,000RPM rush but beyond that is better for my purposes in every other way.

***STOP HIJACK***
You can often find a local upholstery shop that will build a custom seat for you for far less money than those mail order seats. I got one made for under $250 and it was as good or better than any aftermarket example. I was right there while he had me sit on the bike and did his measurements and asked me exactly what I wanted. Hard to beat that.
__________________
"Make no mistake, Communism lost a big argument - one we know today as the 20th century."
seruzawa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 08:42 AM   #39
bechtoea
Founding Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Troy, OH
Posts: 9
Default

I don't think it was just the seat. To get the seat how I wanted it, it would have had to have a bit more padding, which would have pushed the seat up a bit, having my legs further apart due to the shape of the tank. Then there was, as I said, the cost of the other accessories for touring. There were other reasons. The 599 is a great bike for what it is, and I had it for 5 years and 26K miles, and that was with me never touring on it. All of that being said, it's not an ideal touring bike and not a true UJM.

But I'll admit, on a curvy road with the tach pointing north, it sure was hard to beat.

Last edited by bechtoea : 05-22-2013 at 08:50 AM.
bechtoea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 03:40 PM   #40
Overload
Founding Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Posts: 27
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duken4evr View Post
A buddy of mine who is very short but not interested in cruisers is probably going to buy the touring version CTX. We went to look at them and the were sold out. The sales guy said there is a lot of interest in the bike and they have sold all the can get. Seems they are selling well, per my survey of one dealer.

I view these as a hybrid between a maxi scooter and a motorcycle. Could see owning one someday for jump on it and go duties.
Your buddy may need to look elsewhere. He won't be able to reach the forward controls, at least according to cycle-egro.com. I'm short (26" inseam), and when I put 'myself' on the CTX700 it said I couldn't reach the pegs.
Overload is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off