Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle General Discussion

Old 05-10-2013, 11:13 AM   #11
The Spaceman
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin_Duke View Post
My kid will also learn to drive a stick, assuming we'll still be able to find one in 10 years!
Add me to that list. The youngster gets his learner's permit in October. I'm going to train him in the Mini. If he wants a slushbox after that it's his call, but at least he will have been shown The Way.

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 05-10-2013, 11:30 AM   #12
sarnali2
Aging Cafe` Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzglyd View Post
My son is 15 1/2 and ready to get his permit (he won't until his grades improve).

I've already explained to him that his first car will be a stick as we used to call it.

Thankfully, the boy across the street got a new GTI and it is a six speed manual.

I am on a quest to Man Up the neighborhood!

You're going to need a puffy hat and stripped coveralls if you want to man up the 'hood..

"He said he's farting because of his medication"...
sarnali2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 11:39 AM   #13
jonnychampagne
Motorcycle.com Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbtowns View Post
This changes everything? That seems like the overstatement of the year. First of all, do we really believe that it's the clutch that keeps non-riders from becoming motorcyclists, or that eliminating the very small amount of talent it takes to operate the clutch will somehow make the skills required to be a motorcyclising dramatically easier. I get that someone who commutes in traffic all day might find that appealing, if they were already a motorcyclist. Otherwise this just seems like the Honda marketing department go MO to do their work for them.
I realize how that sounds, BB, but I mean it - it's spot-on. The answer to your question is yes, definitely, absolutely -- the act of shifting prevents a lot of people from becoming motorcyclists, just as it prevents a lot of people from buying stick-shift cars. Why? It's EASIER. No other reason is needed.

For example, my wife is already psyched about this bike. She's never been psyched about a motorcycle in her life, but she always loves going riding w/ me.
Now, she can't drive a stick, and has no desire to shift a motorcycle. But she loves to be on one. And now she wants to pilot her own.

That's a game-changer, defined.
jonnychampagne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 12:23 PM   #14
Buzglyd
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarnali2 View Post
You're going to need a puffy hat and stripped coveralls if you want to man up the 'hood..
Maybe I can get one of yours over to the Taylor and have it "taken in" a bit and a bit more and a LOT more.
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 01:01 PM   #15
jmdonald
Founding Member

Default Standard shift.

I like a lot of you guys learned on standard shift cars and motorcyles. There is no greater control than that offered by a standard shift. IMO. As good as the DCT transmissions are at instantaneous power transfer I would like to think there will always be a market for standard shift machines of all types. In my mind I see real motorcycles as bikes with standard shift and sports cars with standard shift and rear wheel drive. With Dads like you guys out there the next gen riders will know what to ride and drive. Keep up the good work.
Old 05-10-2013, 02:05 PM   #16
sarnali2
Aging Cafe` Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzglyd View Post
Maybe I can get one of yours over to the Taylor and have it "taken in" a bit and a bit more and a LOT more.

They're 100% cotton, just wash and dry them on HOT a few times and they'll shrink right up!

"He said he's farting because of his medication"...
sarnali2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 05:42 PM   #17
Rforre
Founding Member

The salesmen at the motorcycle leathers store told me this weekend that his % of female customers has drastically increased. A 41 year old lady I work with is picking up her new (used) BMW F650 tomorrow, transitioning up from a scooter. She's never worked a clutch and is stressed about how she's going to learn (msf training course with honda rebels). So why is Honda offering automatic transmissions? To grow new markets..hope it works for them.
Rforre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 05:57 PM   #18
Overload
Founding Member

Default work vs fun

I wouldn't want a manual transmission during bumper to bumper traffic. I would want one on the weekends during a ride in the mountains.
Since motorcycles are mostly second vehicles, and recreational vehicles, using the clutch is part of the fun.
As cars have become appliances the automatic transmission has taken over. However this has bleed into performance vehicles as people never learn to use a clutch. As mentioned above, some supercars only come with an auto these days.
Anything but a CVT. Hate them in cars, barely tolerate them in scooters.
Overload is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 08:36 PM   #19
Duken4evr
Founding Member

A buddy of mine who is very short but not interested in cruisers is probably going to buy the touring version CTX. We went to look at them and the were sold out. The sales guy said there is a lot of interest in the bike and they have sold all the can get. Seems they are selling well, per my survey of one dealer.

I view these as a hybrid between a maxi scooter and a motorcycle. Could see owning one someday for jump on it and go duties.
Duken4evr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 09:01 PM   #20
PsychoBueller
Founding Member

I really like the concept and the execution. Priced right too. And I like that its not trying to look like a Harley.