Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   Motorcycle General Discussion (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/motorcycle-general-discussion/)
-   -   May is Motorcycle Safety Awareness Month (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/motorcycle-general-discussion/20984-may-motorcycle-safety-awareness-month.html)

Administrator 05-08-2013 11:16 AM

May is Motorcycle Safety Awareness Month

Original Article:
May is Motorcycle Safety Awareness Month

Please discuss the Motorcycle.com article May is Motorcycle Safety Awareness Month in our Motorcycle Forums below. Use the reply button to let others know your comments or feedback on the article. Constructive criticism is always appreciated, along with your thoughts and personal opinions on the bikes and products we have tested.

kspike 05-08-2013 11:55 AM

Good stuff. Probably a good time to take some refresher training to fix some bad habits I have... 12 years since MSF class. We have already had some fatal accidents this season.

backroadbob.com 05-09-2013 08:42 PM

Good tips all, but you've left out the epidemic of distracted driving. For the first time in its history, ending distracted driving, not DUI, is the USDOT's number one priority. Insurance Institute for Highway Safety studies reveal drivers using any hand-held electronic device are four times (400%) more likely to be involved in an injury accident than drivers that abstain from using those devices while driving. NHSTA's own 2009 study of hand-held cell phone use reveals young, female drivers without passengers in the vehicle during a weekday rush hour are 900% more likely to hurt you than an experienced male driver on a weekend.
Distracted driving is fast becoming the number one killer on our roadways and it's not limited to drivers. Motorcyclists taking Bluetooth phone calls, scrolling through their GPSs, and fiddling with the ABS/TC/Suspension settings on their bikes are distracted too and when a distracted driver and a distracted rider meet, the motorcyclist is likely to end up dead. That's what I wrote in 2011. There's more at my website and at Distracted Driving | National Highway Traffic Safety Administration | Texting and Driving.

seruzawa 05-09-2013 10:25 PM

We are all gonna die unless we give bob's website hits!

sarnali2 05-10-2013 07:31 AM

New car with multiple infotainment screens and scrolling knobs and buttons don't help matters, they should be banned and replaced with plain old buttons and switches. There's nothing more distracting than f*cking around scrolling through multiple screens trying to set the defroster or turn the fan up. I hate the damn things and won't have one if there's an option.

My 2010 Exploder still has a big fat knob for the fan, defroster/heater and temperature controls, I can operate them without even looking and with gloves on in the winter. Simple is better in my opinion unless of course we mean people, in which case simple people are a chore to deal with and should be restricted from voting.