Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   Motorcycle General Discussion (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/motorcycle-general-discussion/)
-   -   2013 Honda Interstate Review (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/motorcycle-general-discussion/20974-2013-honda-interstate-review.html)

Administrator 05-02-2013 02:21 PM

2013 Honda Interstate Review

Original Article:
2013 Honda Interstate Review

Please discuss the Motorcycle.com article 2013 Honda Interstate Review in our Motorcycle Forums below. Use the reply button to let others know your comments or feedback on the article. Constructive criticism is always appreciated, along with your thoughts and personal opinions on the bikes and products we have tested.

seruzawa 05-02-2013 09:58 PM

Pretty weird looking. And whatever styling exercise it is that tank seam ruins it.

Rick84 05-03-2013 01:57 AM

Honda seems to price itself out of relevance again (see: ST1300). The V Star 1300 Tourer at $12,290 and the 1300 Deluxe—the bike in your comparison—at $13,690 is better equipped and, to my eye, looks better. Sure, the Honda may have a more attractive silhouette, but cruisers are also about the detail. The all-black engine with huge, flat-surface, plasti-chrome covers meant to dress it up is actually off-putting. On the other hand, the decoratively polished fins on the 1300 with dimension and definition around the transmission looks great. Finally, when you add in the obvious functional advantages (less not having ABS as an option) such as lockable bags, functioning wind protection, better passenger accommodations, more touring-friendly riding triangle and, in the case of the deluxe, a sound system and navigation, comparing the Honda to the Star is almost no comparison at all :)

The Spaceman 05-03-2013 06:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by seruzawa (Post 281363)
Pretty weird looking. And whatever styling exercise it is that tank seam ruins it.

You're being too kind.

The bike doesn't look bad as a "Pro-Street," which it was designed to be. But tacking on the bags and screen turn it into a mess.

It came in last in a shoot-out in this month's CW.

jmdonald 05-03-2013 09:26 AM

Styling cues.

This bike is lost on me.

Kevin_Duke 05-03-2013 05:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rick84 (Post 281365)
Honda seems to price itself out of relevance again (see: ST1300). The V Star 1300 Tourer at $12,290 and the 1300 Deluxe—the bike in your comparison—at $13,690 is better equipped and, to my eye, looks better. Sure, the Honda may have a more attractive silhouette, but cruisers are also about the detail. The all-black engine with huge, flat-surface, plasti-chrome covers meant to dress it up is actually off-putting. On the other hand, the decoratively polished fins on the 1300 with dimension and definition around the transmission looks great. Finally, when you add in the obvious functional advantages (less not having ABS as an option) such as lockable bags, functioning wind protection, better passenger accommodations, more touring-friendly riding triangle and, in the case of the deluxe, a sound system and navigation, comparing the Honda to the Star is almost no comparison at all :)

Great post, Rick. Our comparo will go live next week.

PsychoBueller 05-09-2013 12:25 PM

Plastic engine covers, plastic fenders, ugly tank seam, contrived styling. No thanks. What a turd. If you want a metric cruiser go for the V-Star 1300. At least looks like a quality piece. Or just buy a Harley, which is what all these things want to be anyway.

seruzawa 05-09-2013 10:32 PM

For $13K there are a lot better touring choices out there and none of them are long stroke V-Twins or weigh over 700 freaking pounds.

sarnali2 05-10-2013 07:22 AM

Well I congradulate Honda for stepping out of the box at least. Looks like they're trying to copy Victory's Ness styling but as noted, the plasi-chrome bits and tank seam shows that they just don't get it, maybe next time eh?

Buzglyd 05-10-2013 07:51 AM

It's hard to believe they could out do the Rune but I think they have.

And I don't mean that in a good way.