Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   Motorcycle General Discussion (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/motorcycle-general-discussion/)
-   -   Riding on a Budget (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/motorcycle-general-discussion/20971-riding-budget.html)

Administrator 05-01-2013 01:58 PM

Riding on a Budget

Original Article:
Riding on a Budget

Please discuss the Motorcycle.com article Riding on a Budget in our Motorcycle Forums below. Use the reply button to let others know your comments or feedback on the article. Constructive criticism is always appreciated, along with your thoughts and personal opinions on the bikes and products we have tested.

MOwings 05-01-2013 09:44 PM

The American Motorcyclist Association is another good group to join for discounts and to protect your right to ride.

jandj_davis 05-02-2013 06:05 AM

Wow, no mention of gear. Way to go MO. I advise new riders that they need at LEAST $500 set aside for gear:
Jacket: $150
Helmet: $150
Gloves: $50
Pants: $150

And those are "bargain/closeout" prices. That's a big chunk of coin when you are looking at $1500-$2K bikes. Granted, most riders don't wear riding pants, but my scars tell me it is wise. I also didn't mention boots because most riders don't own a pair of dedicated motorcycle boots, especially if they are going to commute. You just can't wear MC boots at work all day in most cases.

For commuting gear, a good set of rain gear is also a good addition. Waterproof gloves, a rain suit, and boot covers, will run you another $200.

Duken4evr 05-02-2013 06:36 AM

Certain types of bikes depreciate heavily. There is a great bang for the buck in the standard bike class, like the big Suzuki Bandits, Z1000, FZ1, etc. Mid 2000's era liter class sport bikes can be had for a song. Just don't insure them for collision and ride smart.

Bikes are durable and there are lots of clean used ones out there. That is where you save. Even lightly used gear. Craig's List is our friend.

seruzawa 05-02-2013 06:51 AM

Another reason to do your own maintenance is the unfortunately large number of unscrupulous dealers. Like telling you they use Redline oil when they actually use Autozone.

Plus, is there actually anyone who takes their bike to a mechanic to lube and adjust the chain? Is so please post their photo.

The Spaceman 05-02-2013 07:25 AM

Even though I'm hardly a "noob," I'm enjoying this series of articles. Together they form a knowledge base that compiles a lot of invaluable information that any rider, new or experienced, can profit from.

"Generally speaking, motorcycles with smaller engines tend to be cheaper to insure, in part because they are usually less expensive, but also because they are less powerful than motorcycles with larger engines. "
I'd add to that: Make sure the agent you're working with rates your bike properly. When I started talking to GEICO about my new bike, they heard "CB" and "1100" and rated it as a supersport. The premium was over $1,300. After explaining it wasn't a supersport, but really more like a cruiser, they took a second look and charged under $300 for the year.

bbtowns 05-02-2013 08:36 AM

Do all your own mechanical work, it saves you thousands of dollars and between shop manuals and well documented procedures on the internet just isn't that challenging. Buy tires online and change them yourself. A manual tire machine is inexpensive, as is a cheap balancing system. Liability insurance can be had for $75 a year for most bikes if you don't need full coverage.

jmdonald 05-02-2013 09:50 AM

True cost to own. Amortization. Price vs. Cost.

I have always considered my motorcycle a luxury not a necessity. Because I am cost conscious of everything I always calculate the per year/mile cost for all vehicles in my household. In my twenties I always bought used. As I became more successful I bought new. There are great used deals out in the marketplace. Newer models with low milage at a fraction of the original cost. This was not always visible to me when younger. You can get creative when incorporating actual costs in your calculations. Not everything is relevant. If you do your own maintenance because you like to or don't want to incur the expense remember your time has a cost/price. I limit my maintenance participation to the occasional oil change and detailing. Shaft drive has its benefits. Happy Hunting. IMO

sarnali2 05-02-2013 09:50 AM

My first Harley Davidson consisted of a 1957 frame, rear wheel and an oil tank sitting on a 4x4 on my dads garage floor, only took me 7 months to go from that to a running motorcycle. Back then if you couldn't afford to buy a bike you had to build your own.

I had a 750 Kawasaki twin I used to get around on until the Harley was built, but every penny I made that I didn't need for Top Raman or rent went into the chopper. That's a pretty common thing back then, credit was a lot tighter and interest rates were near 20% so buying new on time was a luxury for a young guy even though I had a good job working for the U of W. Even New 1979 Sportsters were $4500+.... who could afford that????

Kevin_Duke 05-03-2013 06:17 PM

[quote=jandj_davis;281344]Wow, no mention of gear. Way to go MO. I advise new riders that they need at LEAST $500 set aside for gear.../QUOTE]

Good advice. It was one of those "goes without saying" things that actually should've been said!