Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   Motorcycle General Discussion (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/motorcycle-general-discussion/)
-   -   2013 BMW F800GT Review (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/motorcycle-general-discussion/20968-2013-bmw-f800gt-review.html)

Administrator 04-29-2013 03:07 PM

2013 BMW F800GT Review

Original Article:
2013 BMW F800GT Review

Please discuss the Motorcycle.com article 2013 BMW F800GT Review in our Motorcycle Forums below. Use the reply button to let others know your comments or feedback on the article. Constructive criticism is always appreciated, along with your thoughts and personal opinions on the bikes and products we have tested.

jmdonald 04-29-2013 04:25 PM

Nice.

This is a really nice bike. There are a few miss hits but the changes make up for them. At less than 500lbs. it will make a good commuter. Well done BMW.

The Spaceman 04-30-2013 04:59 AM

There's frequent criticism here about overweight, oversized ST bikes. This should answer that.

I'm sure its true, but saying that having both pistons rising and falling together reduces vibration seems counterintuitive. Wouldn't having more weight at each end if the stroke be more unbalanced and thus create more vibes? If anyone can explain that is appreciate it.

jmdonald 04-30-2013 05:44 AM

BMW explains from BMW Motorrad International

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Spaceman (Post 281279)
There's frequent criticism here about overweight, oversized ST bikes. This should answer that.

I'm sure its true, but saying that having both pistons rising and falling together reduces vibration seems counterintuitive. Wouldn't having more weight at each end if the stroke be more unbalanced and thus create more vibes? If anyone can explain that is appreciate it.

Unavoidable on two cylinder engines, the first and second order inertial forces are neutralised by a balancing mechanism that is unique in our times. Instead of the conventional solution involving so called balancing or counterweight shafts, the oscillating inertial forces are eliminated by a system of articulated joints, positioned centrally on the crankshaft, comprising a predefined arrangement of counterweight masses. Arranged opposite to the crank pin, an eccentric on the crankshaft carries a so called balance rod. This rod is joined to a balance pivot. The kinematics are such that the balance rod moves up and down counter to the movements of the two piston rods. The movements over the relatively long swing arm gives rise to a relatively linear swinging motion for the rod end. The distribution of mass over the rod end and swing arm is such that the inertial forces generated by the swinging motion counteract the inertial forces generated by the crankshaft (piston and rod section) at all positions. This virtually eliminates the first and second order inertial forces, and the engine runs with low vibration levels. One other major advantage of this elegant design is its low noise levels because there are no gears or chains with their characteristic drive sounds.

BMW Motorrad International

Buzglyd 04-30-2013 06:52 AM

^ What he said.

I2 engines rock side to side rather than fore and aft.

That's why they do the cylinders at the same time.

Triumph does a 270 crank on some models to give it more potato potato or whatever the hell produce item they have over there that sounds like an engine.

The Spaceman 04-30-2013 08:04 AM

I read about BMW's balance rod solution that JM referenced. It's clever, no doubt.

But why not have one piston hitting TDC while the other hits BDC? That's how my Vee's 90-degree twin achieved balance without weights or rods. HD throws both pistons up and down together on their Vee, which creates their unique engine "experience."

I reject the inline twin engine for it's inherent design failures! All manufacturers should immediately cease and desist their construction forthwith and replace them with V-4s!

sliphorn 04-30-2013 08:13 AM

Nice bike! If only Triumph would get off their duffs and come out with an 800 ST/GT. They got the motor, it should be a no brainer.

I'm a Triumph guy, what can I say?

bbtowns 04-30-2013 09:37 AM

Thanks to the BMW's PR Department

Man, was this written by the PR department at BMW? 700-800 lbs. sport tourers in the article you reference? Only one was over 700 lbs., at 730, the other two were below 700 wet, and of course none was 800 lbs.
This does look like a nice sedate sport tourer admittedly, enough power to get around, decent looking, and light enough to have some fun with. Too bad it's not easier to get at it's base price, though given it appear that doesn't even include luggage mounts, maybe that's not so practical after all.

schizuki 04-30-2013 01:44 PM

That's a Beemer I'd buy.

sliphorn 04-30-2013 02:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by schizuki (Post 281291)
That's a Beemer I'd buy.

Me too. It's the perfect solo tourer.