Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle General Discussion

Old 05-01-2013, 08:32 AM   #21
The Spaceman
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarnali2 View Post
One thing to remember is these are physically small bikes, if you are um... "econmoy sized" you ain't gonna fit..

When I had my GS in for a service they gave me one as a loaner and I felt like a circus bear riding a tricycle on it, YMMV but buyer beware..
When I was deciding on the CB I watched the Honda design team video, which has a segment with a former Japanese racer riding around on it. When I saw the bike In person the first time I was shocked at how small it was. I didn't realize the racer dude must be about 4' tall and 90 lbs. It's false advertising I tell you!

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 05-01-2013, 09:13 AM   #22
Buzglyd
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Spaceman View Post
When I was deciding on the CB I watched the Honda design team video, which has a segment with a former Japanese racer riding around on it. When I saw the bike In person the first time I was shocked at how small it was. I didn't realize the racer dude must be about 4' tall and 90 lbs. It's false advertising I tell you!
You could have deduced that once you knew he was a "former Japanese racer."
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 11:29 PM   #23
supecoop
Founding Member

This is a great bike, but for $13,190, including two accessory packages, shouldn't a "GT" include the hard bags? BMW's website doesn't list the cost of the bags yet, but notes that they are sold without the lock barrels (to lock them to the bike I think); so that explains why the Comfort Package comes with bag mounts only. If you buy the base model, upgrades will be tough if you change your mind, or come into some extra cash later. I know, I'm just whining because of the cost...and because I want one!
supecoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 11:09 AM   #24
jmdonald
Founding Member

Default Options.

Not everyone would want the bags. It makes sense to add them as an option. The fit and finish come at a price. You get what you pay for. I want one too. I am adding this to my top 5.
Old 05-09-2013, 04:47 AM   #25
Rick84
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmdonald View Post
Unavoidable on two cylinder engines, the first and second order inertial forces are neutralised by a balancing mechanism that is unique in our times. Instead of the conventional solution involving so called balancing or counterweight shafts, the oscillating inertial forces are eliminated by a system of articulated joints, positioned centrally on the crankshaft, comprising a predefined arrangement of counterweight masses. Arranged opposite to the crank pin, an eccentric on the crankshaft carries a so called balance rod. This rod is joined to a balance pivot. The kinematics are such that the balance rod moves up and down counter to the movements of the two piston rods. The movements over the relatively long swing arm gives rise to a relatively linear swinging motion for the rod end. The distribution of mass over the rod end and swing arm is such that the inertial forces generated by the swinging motion counteract the inertial forces generated by the crankshaft (piston and rod section) at all positions. This virtually eliminates the first and second order inertial forces, and the engine runs with low vibration levels. One other major advantage of this elegant design is its low noise levels because there are no gears or chains with their characteristic drive sounds.

BMW Motorrad International
A few good pictures to help illustrate what was said"
An engine cutaway where you can see what looks like upside-down connecting rod cap in the middle of the two cylinders. With this picture you can see more isolated parts of the engine including the balance mechanism. This is different than running balance shafts where you have weighted shaft(s) (looking kind of like a camshaft) running off of, and normally down by, the crank countering inertial forces. But tech stuff aside, I really think the F800GT is a great bike.

Last year when I wanted to get a new bike, I knew I wanted a tourer, but I couldn't figure out if I wanted a sport-tourer or a cruiser-based tourer. Skipping over War and Peace-like harangue I could write, ultimately, I thought the V Star 1300 was a better cruiser/tourer than the NT700V or F800ST was a sport tourer. Now I wound up with a 950 Tourer, but I think when it's paid off in another year and a half, I might just jump ship to this.
Rick84 is offline   Reply With Quote