Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle General Discussion

Old 04-30-2013, 01:49 PM   #11
schizuki
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzglyd View Post
Two years from now they'll be out of business and you'll be blaming it on BIG OIL!
BIG COAL needs to step its game up. E-vehicles run on 40% coal.

Bill Clinton and Chuck Schumer are praising the Supreme Court for overturning an anti-gay-marriage law that they both signed.
schizuki is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 04-30-2013, 04:39 PM   #12
Buzglyd
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by schizuki View Post
BIG COAL needs to step its game up. E-vehicles run on 40% coal.
Maybe the coal companies will order their employees to buy one.
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 06:47 PM   #13
Duken4evr
Founding Member

Sounds like a 3 speed trans would be perfect for one of these. Just thinking out loud, but a dual clutch automatic or even a CVT could be cool, suiting the twist and go nature of electric power. Aside from needing a transmission in the first place, the fun of a manual on an ICE bike is being able to pick what part of the powerband you want to use and, let's face it, how much noise/excitement you want to generate. An electric is always in the powerband.

Also seems to me that these would be very low maintenance and long lasting machines. Electric motors run forever with no maintenance, and Hybrid cars have shown the durability of the batteries.

Also enjoyed the video. Was surprised at the sound. The cops still would never hear you coming on those twisty Angeles Crest and Malibu roads you were ripping around on. There are some benefits to that

Last edited by Duken4evr : 04-30-2013 at 06:52 PM.
Duken4evr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 11:08 PM   #14
Kevin_Duke
Motorcycle.com Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duken4evr View Post
Also seems to me that these would be very low maintenance and long lasting machines. Electric motors run forever with no maintenance, and Hybrid cars have shown the durability of the batteries.

Also enjoyed the video. Was surprised at the sound. The cops still would never hear you coming on those twisty Angeles Crest and Malibu roads you were ripping around on. There are some benefits to that
Indeed, not just low maintenance, almost no maintenance. As for the low sound output, imagine the dual-sport/dirtbike possibilities...
Old 05-01-2013, 07:37 AM   #15
The Spaceman
Registered Member

It's cool that MO found value in the transmission. A couple other reviews I read basically said it was a wasted effort and completely unnecessary for an ebike.

Personally I want to shift gears on everything but my boats. Not sure how much longer we will have that option, especially with cars.
Old 05-01-2013, 08:11 AM   #16
Buzglyd
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Spaceman View Post
It's cool that MO found value in the transmission. A couple other reviews I read basically said it was a wasted effort and completely unnecessary for an ebike.

Personally I want to shift gears on everything but my boats. Not sure how much longer we will have that option, especially with cars.
When I leased my BMW I wanted a manual and they said good luck finding one.

He said customers say they want manuals but they buy automatics.

My son is turning 16 this year and his car will be a manual for sure. When I was a kid, we all insisted on manuals. If you got an automatic you were considered a sissy.

Is that word still ok to say or do I need sensitivity training?
Old 05-01-2013, 11:02 AM   #17
12er
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzglyd View Post
When I leased my BMW I wanted a manual and they said good luck finding one.

He said customers say they want manuals but they buy automatics.

My son is turning 16 this year and his car will be a manual for sure. When I was a kid, we all insisted on manuals. If you got an automatic you were considered a sissy.

Is that word still ok to say or do I need sensitivity training?
The wife is turning me into a Sissy, selling our Stick and getting an auto now that she's driving more. But in Bay area traffic a turbo stick with a performance clutch is a PITA. No power until the snail spools up and with a light flywheel and a grabby clutch its no bueno in stop and go. I'll miss it but I'm getting a new bike out of the deal so wont miss it much.
12er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 11:39 AM   #18
Buzglyd
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12er View Post
The wife is turning me into a Sissy, selling our Stick and getting an auto now that she's driving more. But in Bay area traffic a turbo stick with a performance clutch is a PITA. No power until the snail spools up and with a light flywheel and a grabby clutch its no bueno in stop and go. I'll miss it but I'm getting a new bike out of the deal so wont miss it much.
What bike are you getting?
Old 05-01-2013, 02:12 PM   #19
12er
Founding Member

Looking at low mileage 11-12 multistrada's but may settle on an SMT if the price is right. One SMT online now that is a sweet deal but havent sold the car yet. As I'd have to instantly get a new seat on the SMT and the butt warmer exhaust has me concerned. The multi is perfect and the bike I want, but if I can save 7k on an SMT it may be tough to pass up.
12er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 02:16 PM   #20
Buzglyd
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12er View Post
Looking at low mileage 11-12 multistrada's but may settle on an SMT if the price is right. One SMT online now that is a sweet deal but havent sold the car yet. As I'd have to instantly get a new seat on the SMT and the butt warmer exhaust has me concerned. The multi is perfect and the bike I want, but if I can save 7k on an SMT it may be tough to pass up.
What the hell is a SMT?