Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle General Discussion

Old 04-27-2013, 05:04 AM   #11
The Spaceman
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzglyd View Post
For the hipster generation, the more organic, traditional looking bikes are what sells.

Harley is killing it with the younger crowd.

I guess all the know-it-alls from a few years ago were wrong again.
Not really. If you look at the market data you'll see that HD only started making progress with young, female, and minority riders "a few years ago.". Luckily for their stockholders, HD finally figured out what the know-it-alls had been saying for years before then, and started marketing to those segments.

And BTW, most HD sales to your cherished yoots are used bikes, because they still don't have any entry-level products that 18-24 y/os can afford.

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 04-27-2013, 08:12 AM   #12
Buzglyd
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Spaceman View Post
Not really. If you look at the market data you'll see that HD only started making progress with young, female, and minority riders "a few years ago.". Luckily for their stockholders, HD finally figured out what the know-it-alls had been saying for years before then, and started marketing to those segments.

And BTW, most HD sales to your cherished yoots are used bikes, because they still don't have any entry-level products that 18-24 y/os can afford.
Who has entry level products that an 18 year old can afford?

This from H-Ds quarterly earnings report:

Harley-Davidson recently reported newly available U.S. demographic market share data for 2012 new street motorcycle sales (all engine displacements) showing the Company continued its market leadership in the U.S. among young adults 18-34, women, African-Americans, Hispanics and Caucasian men 35-plus. According to the Polk data, in 2012, for the fifth straight year, Harley-Davidson was the number one seller of new street motorcycles in the U.S. to each of these groups. Sales of new Harley-Davidson motorcycles in the U.S. grew in each of these demographic segments last year, and Harley-Davidson sold nearly twice as many new street motorcycles to young adults as its nearest competitor in 2012.
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 08:13 AM   #13
Buzglyd
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin_Duke View Post
I'm interested in hearing what you think of it. It seems to be a unique fit for you.
Yes but it would be hard to pull the trigger with a Tuono at the same dealer staring me in the face!
Old 04-27-2013, 11:17 AM   #14
Kevin_Duke
Motorcycle.com Staff

Quote:
Yes but it would be hard to pull the trigger with a Tuono at the same dealer staring me in the face!
You must be one of just a few people cross-shopping a Cali and a Tuono!
Old 04-27-2013, 11:41 AM   #15
Buzglyd
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin_Duke View Post
You must be one of just a few people cross-shopping a Cali and a Tuono!
I created my own category of cool Italian bikes I want.
Old 04-27-2013, 11:57 AM   #16
sarnali2
Aging Cafe` Racer

Ken my friend you need to get out more often. One of the largest MC's around here is Buffalo Soldiers, followed by Magic Wheels, both almost exclusivly black and HD only.

"He said he's farting because of his medication"...
sarnali2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 12:55 PM   #17
seruzawa
The Toad

Quote:
Who has entry level products that an 18 year old can afford?

This from H-Ds quarterly earnings report:

Harley-Davidson recently reported newly available U.S. demographic market share data for 2012 new street motorcycle sales (all engine displacements) showing the Company continued its market leadership in the U.S. among young adults 18-34, women, African-Americans, Hispanics and Caucasian men 35-plus. According to the Polk data, in 2012, for the fifth straight year, Harley-Davidson was the number one seller of new street motorcycles in the U.S. to each of these groups. Sales of new Harley-Davidson motorcycles in the U.S. grew in each of these demographic segments last year, and Harley-Davidson sold nearly twice as many new street motorcycles to young adults as its nearest competitor in 2012.
So you are saying that Kook and Moke and all the others who thought they knew the future were wrong?

All you had to do was to step into an HD dealership to see how wrong they were. There were always a lot of young guys in there. The guys who thought the future was sportbikes were only consulting their prejudices. Any visit to an HD dealership, even during the darkest economic days recently, would have revealed an entirely different reality.... the reality that exists, not some bigotted opinion.

Last edited by seruzawa : 04-27-2013 at 12:58 PM.
seruzawa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 01:29 PM   #18
The Spaceman
Registered Member

Jesus I wish you guys would READ what's posted before you start responding to it. I didn't say young, minority, and women riders aren't on HDs. I said HD didn't start marketing to them until a few years ago. Get the difference?

Honda, Suzuki, Kawasaki, Yamaha, KTM, almost every make EXCEPT HD is rolling out 250-500 cc bikes to go after new, young buyers. At half the price of the only bike HD has that even remotely looks like an entry level bike, the XL. Keep in mind that all makes lost half or more of their revenue after 08. HD may be finally opening a new market now, but it'll be these new, high value vs. cost bikes that restart the market growth. If anything can.

Last edited by The Spaceman : 04-27-2013 at 01:35 PM.
The Spaceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 02:12 PM   #19
schizuki
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Spaceman View Post
Jesus I wish you guys would READ what's posted before you start responding to it. I didn't say young, minority, and women riders aren't on HDs. I said HD didn't start marketing to them until a few years ago. Get the difference?
Correct me if I'm wrong, but weren't you criticizing Harley for the same parts-bin engineering and black-out treatments that seem to be what's attracting these riders?

Bill Clinton and Chuck Schumer are praising the Supreme Court for overturning an anti-gay-marriage law that they both signed.
schizuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 03:42 PM   #20
The Spaceman
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by schizuki View Post
Correct me if I'm wrong, but weren't you criticizing Harley for the same parts-bin engineering and black-out treatments that seem to be what's attracting these riders?
Damn right I do. I also ctitcize them for be so financially irresponsible that after two decades of record sales they had to take a taxpayer bailout in 08. And for having their asses handed to them in the MV Agusta deal. And for screwing Eric Buell and all the Buell division customers and employees.

HD succeeds in spite of their leadership, not because of it.